Headphone DAC/AMP under $200?
Oct 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SpaceRabbit

New Head-Fier
At work I'm running a pair of Sony MDR-7506 and at home I run a pair of Senn HD535's. I'm really interested in an external DAC. I like the idea of an external solution as I can keep it as I upgrade computers easily. I've been looking at the Hifiman EF-2a but I am concerned about some of the posts referring to the lack of balance between the left and right channels. Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but do I even need a headphone amp stage? Do I really just need a good DAC? Both of my cans seem to not be power hungry, but I do know my Senn's sound better on a source with a little juice behind it. 

What solutions would you guys recommend? An Amp/Dac combo, Dac only? and what models?

Thank you for your expertise!

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
At work I'm running a pair of Sony MDR-7506 and at home I run a pair of Senn HD535's. I'm really interested in an external DAC. I like the idea of an external solution as I can keep it as I upgrade computers easily. I've been looking at the Hifiman EF-2a but I am concerned about some of the posts referring to the lack of balance between the left and right channels. Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but do I even need a headphone amp stage? Do I really just need a good DAC? Both of my cans seem to not be power hungry, but I do know my Senn's sound better on a source with a little juice behind it. 

What solutions would you guys recommend? An Amp/Dac combo, Dac only? and what models?

Thank you for your expertise!

i don't think you will find much for under 200. you should be able to power your stuff with something like a FiiO E17, if you're willing to pay more, look into the ODAC/O2 amp combo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back