Headphone choice, can't decide
Feb 27, 2009 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

soulesschild

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi folks, coming over here after lurking for a bit and having people on hardforum repeatedly tell me to come here to bug you guys for advice
L3000.gif

I'm currently using some Shure E4's that I bought awhile back and now I've come to need a pair of comfortable cans for work/listening when I don't feel like putting on my IEMs.

I'll probably be buying a FiiO E5 portable amp as it seems cheap and fairly effective...though if you guys have other thoughts under $100 USD I'd be open to responses.

My main music choice is usually hip-hop/trance/house. I'd also like these for movie watching/light gaming. I'll also probably be using this with my ipod/blackberry storm slacker radio.

Right now I've seen that the JVC 900's and 700's are fairly good, the AKG K701's (would the fiio amp be enough to drive these?), AT 900's, and the senns 600? I think.

What would you guys pick?

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 18
You know, the JVCs would probably suit you really well for your music tastes, movies, and games. I have the 900s, and love them, although it seems that the 700s may be a bit of a better value for the money (can't say, personally, since I've never heard them). Either one will be fairly efficient, and should be able to be powered well by the E5.

If you do get either one, though, don't forget to mod them.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 18
Denon AH-D1001's are a good set of cans in that price range that will work well for what you want. IMO. The K701's NOT a good choice of cans for a work if noise Isolation is a concern and the Fiio wouldnt drive them (well) anyway.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nope.
frown.gif

That's what I figured =[

@top pop

I'm not too confident on the modding =[ As much as I do PC modding, I don't feel like risking modding headphones =[

Also, noise isolation isn't too big of an issue. Main issue would not having sound leak out and being comfortable for 4+ hours.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by soulesschild /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, noise isolation isn't too big of an issue. Main issue would not having sound leak out and being comfortable for 4+ hours.

In either case the K701's arent for you. They dont isolate, and they are open cans so anyone close to you will hear what you are listening to...Im not allowed to use mine when the wife is home
confused_face.gif
The Denon's are closed that I use in my place of business for the Sub 100 dollar range they are a very good set of cans.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 18
I'll also recommend the Denon AH D1001's. They are by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. At about the 7 hour mark, my ears are noticeably warm, but the fact that they're still comfortable after 7 hours is a testament in and of itself. They really seem to have a great synergy with the FiiO E5. The one thing that I would say can be a slight problem with the D1001's is that the bass can be a touch sloppy and bleed over into the mids, which muddies things up. However, the little bit of extra juice that the E5 gives them cuts that out by maybe 70%. They're much more forward, and a lot clearer with the E5 than without. That being said, they still sound great straight of the iPod. You won't need the E5's bass boost with the D1001's, the D1001's have really good natural bass on their own, but it is fun from time to time on certain tracks.

A lot of people really like the HA-RX700's, but some of the people who really like them EQ them, and when they EQ them, they bring up the mids and hi-frequencies. So the FiiO will probably help them, but they're not like Grados, where you can switch on the E5's bass boost circuit and "correct" what many view to be the main flaw in the lower end grados.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 18
For that type of music and movies I would probably take a look at the ultrasones. HFI-780s get a lot of positive reviews around here, but with your budget it looks like you could afford anything in their line.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 18
Ultrasone makes some excellent cans. Unfortunately there 100 dollar(ish) are two models, and dont seem to be much to write home about. The 780's suggested MSRP around $280 ish (off the top of my head) again Sub 100 dollar cans Denon 1001's AKG K81 Dj, Audio Tech's ATH-Fc700's or The Sen HD280 pro I have the 1001's and the HD280 pros I like the 1001's more than the 280's as the 280's clamp WAY too hard for me.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 18
If I were to extend my budget to under say...300. Would the Denon's 2000's be a good choice? Or are those headphones in the 200 range too powerful to be driven well by a fiio? (though I am looking at the total bithead usb/portable dacs or maybe the iBasso but probably not for a LONG time)

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 18
HFI-780s are 161 at the infamous dealer. That is why I recommended them.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #14 of 18
The K701 & HD600 need an amp (and a good one too) to get great sound. I think the D1001's would be a good choice for the type of music you listen too (lots of bass).

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #15 of 18
if you're in the US then check northern sound and light for ultrasone. They always had the best deals on ultrasones by far (they email their actual price to you, price listed is just retail) and great customer service too. Not sure if they ship outside the U.S. though. I think they stock some akg too(not sure haven't been there in awhile)

here is a link: http://www.northernsound.net/

Oh and I am in no way affiliated with them, just that their prices were so low even on the pro-900 when it just came out and the edition 9 also. Would be cool if they stocked more brands though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back