Headphone Case?
May 27, 2008 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Fetou

100+ Head-Fier
Is there anyway to buy a headphone case premade? If not, where could I find a relatively light weight box that is the right size for a pair of AD2000s? I need to be carrying these back and forth between two locations every week and don't want to risk them getting broken in any way?

May 27, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 23
You could always make one yourself
smily_headphones1.gif
I tried to find a good box for the AD2000, but didn't, so I made one. The total price was about $30, but you surely could do it cheaper.

Some pictures: I think it's rather self-explanatory.

99198-box1.JPG

Viewimage - 99198-box1.JPG

99201-box2.JPG

Viewimage - 99201-box2.JPG

99202-box3.JPG

Viewimage - 99202-box3.JPG
I used a semi-soft foam material which you usually sleep on while on a hike, but there must be a bunch of good materials to use. I cut the foam to fit the headphones.

99203-box4.JPG

Viewimage - 99203-box4.JPG I stitched them together with a needle and thread.

99204-box5.JPG

Viewimage - 99204-box5.JPG
Lastly I stiched a nice fabric to complete the headphone case.

99206-box6.JPG

Viewimage - 99206-box6.JPG

99207-box7.JPG

Viewimage - 99207-box7.JPG

99208-box8.JPG

Viewimage - 99208-box8.JPG
Perfect fit
smily_headphones1.gif

The box is rather big though, but I wanted it to be a very safe storage for my AD2000.

EDIT: From the photos the box looks rather heavy, but it's actually very light-weight.

May 27, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at Pelican cases. They should have a size that's right.

x2

May 28, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 23
Hey Henmyr, where did you get a box like that to begin with? That is exactly what I am looking for. That is some high quality work, that is just what I had in mind. Please get back to me with details! Thanks.

May 28, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 23
@Henmyr , I'm looking to do something similar, was curious where did you get the foam from? How hard is that foam/how were you able to cut it?

May 28, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Henmyr , I'm looking to do something similar, was curious where did you get the foam from? How hard is that foam/how were you able to cut it?

The foam is usually something you sleep on while out camping:
http://www.biltema.se/Archive%5CProd...5C26-751_l.jpg
It should not be to hard finding something simliar, we have it in a lot of shops here in Sweden.

The above is what I used, it's not hard to cut it, I used both a knife and a pair of scissors.

Quote:

Hey Henmyr, where did you get a box like that to begin with? That is exactly what I am looking for. That is some high quality work, that is just what I had in mind. Please get back to me with details! Thanks.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I found it in a shop which sells tools and many other things (the shops name is Jula here in Sweden, but there must be something similar in other countries. For some reason the box does not show up on their website, but they have it in their catalog).

May 28, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found it in a shop which sells tools and many other things (the shops name is Jula here in Sweden, but there must be something similar in other countries. For some reason the box does not show up on their website, but they have it in their catalog).

Any Americans here that could recommend me to such a place or perhaps a website? I just don't know where to look for such a metal box. I doubt the chain stores would have it, but I can look.

I found this: Classic Tool Case

Can't really tell whether or not it is deep enough. Could you tell me, disregarding foam, how deep your case is on the bottom side of the case (or pretty much how deep it has to be so they fit in there comfortably.)

May 28, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any Americans here that could recommend me to such a place or perhaps a website? I just don't know where to look for such a metal box. I doubt the chain stores would have it, but I can look.

I found this: Classic Tool Case

Can't really tell whether or not it is deep enough. Could you tell me, disregarding foam, how deep your case is on the bottom side of the case (or pretty much how deep it has to be so they fit in there comfortably.)

The box I used is not solid metal, but rather a hard plastic, but with aluminium edges. The size is 320x230x150mm, and there is a few centimeters to spare, so it could have been about one or two cm smaller in all directions. If it's smaller it you will have less padding though.

I have cut out pieces in the foam in both the bottom and in the lid, as the bottom part was not deep enough for the AD2000 to completely fit there when I put in the padding.

Edit: The hight of the AD2000 when they are laying down is close to 11 cm, and with 1 cm padding both below it and above it, the box have to be at least 13cm for them to fit, and as I wrote, the box I used was 15 cm.

May 28, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 23
I had somebody pick up the one I linked to. I haven't seen it yet, but it's dimensions are 450mm x 330mm x 130mm. Do you think that the size of the box is too excessive for just one set of AD2000 headphones? Getting my A900s in there if I keep them might be a little tight I think.

What exactly is the name of the material you used to cover the foam? I want something similar to that, it adds a very professional touch to the case and provides a soft material to surround the headphones.

May 28, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had somebody pick up the one I linked to. I haven't seen it yet, but it's dimensions are 450mm x 330mm x 130mm. Do you think that the size of the box is too excessive for just one set of AD2000 headphones? Getting my A900s in there if I keep them might be a little tight I think.

What exactly is the name of the material you used to cover the foam? I want something similar to that, it adds a very professional touch to the case and provides a soft material to surround the headphones.

I found a lot of them by searching for "foam sleeping mat" or "foam sleeping pad". Here are a few results:

Alps Mountaineering Foam Sleeping Mat - X Large - Special Buy from REI-OUTLET.com
Amazon.com: Stansport Pack-Lite Camping Pad- 72" x 19" x 3/8": Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: G.I. Type Sleeping Pad Straps: Sports & Outdoors

EDIT: I don't think a more expensive one would give you anything better than a cheap one, so get one as cheap as possible.

As you can see, they are rolled up, which can make want to curl up in the box. I solved this by stiching them together. This behavior also gives the headphones a bit extra damping, so both good and bad.

May 28, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a lot of them by searching for "foam sleeping mat" or "foam sleeping pad". Here are a few results:

Alps Mountaineering Foam Sleeping Mat - X Large - Special Buy from REI-OUTLET.com
Amazon.com: Stansport Pack-Lite Camping Pad- 72" x 19" x 3/8": Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: G.I. Type Sleeping Pad Straps: Sports & Outdoors

EDIT: I don't think a more expensive one would give you anything better than a cheap one, so get one as cheap as possible.

As you can see, they are rolled up, which can make want to curl up in the box. I solved this by stiching them together. This behavior also gives the headphones a bit extra damping, so both good and bad.

I was referring to that nice fabric that you used after you put in the foam. I think I'm going to leave the stock foam that comes in this tool case. I would like to add some of that fabric though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back