Headphone cable appreciation thread; show your love for headphone cables.
Aug 7, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #61 of 101
Now, why with an upbeat thread like touting your appreciation for your headphones cables would you need that?

It seems some folks take great delight in destroying other people's threads.

What's with that?

???

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #63 of 101
Okay, you don't have anything to add but more negativity.  Nobody is digging a hole except those who are so burden with negativity that they can't help but sharing.  Thanks for stopping by.

wink_face.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #64 of 101

[size=medium]
I substituted my stock Westone ES3X cables with the Elite TWag Replacement cable, and it's wonderful! Remarkable detail, resolution top to bottom. Very natural presentation, fleshy, full, yet detailed without being grainy, bright or hyped. The combination with my Harmonic Technology (HT) Magic Link II (60/40, Cu/Ag) IC's, and the HT Fantasy AC 10 power cords (and highly modified Sonett and W4S DAC-1) via the BPT 3.5 Signature Plus balanced power ultra isolator makes for a very musical experience. 

Having been into audio for over 40 years, I am very satisfied with my current music reproduction system (see my profile). 

Make sure you're listening to the highest resolution media you can get your hands on! 

EDIT: clarification and grammar... 
[/size]

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #67 of 101
My personal approach is to get all the basics down, source (first and always), amplification, headphone/speakers. (Just use the cables that come with the equipment.) Then, add cables to the mix to see if you observe a difference. I've heard significant (positive) differences paring kilo-buck cables with very inexpensive products (e.g. the HT Magic Link II and the uDAC is surprisingly killer), but only if you already have the cable inventory. It doesn't seem practical to buy an expensive cable without a good foundation. Again, that's just my personal approach and 40+ years of experience in music and music reproduction. 

Also, there's a lot of good experience to be gained by doing things in phases, gradually. Experimenting can be fun. I was pleasantly surprised to find that clean AC made a significant difference, as I was with maintaining clean connectors (via Caig), and later, cables, even inexpensive ones. Sometimes the effect is cumulative. Once the bug bites, it's hard to go back 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #68 of 101

Quote:
My personal approach is to get all the basics down, source (first and always), amplification, headphone/speakers. (Just use the cables that come with the equipment.) Then, add cables to the mix to see if you observe a difference. I've heard significant (positive) differences paring kilo-buck cables with very inexpensive products (e.g. the HT Magic Link II and the uDAC is surprisingly killer), but only if you already have the cable inventory. It doesn't seem practical to buy an expensive cable without a good foundation. Again, that's just my personal approach and 40+ years of experience in music and music reproduction. 

Also, there's a lot of good experience to be gained by doing things in phases, gradually. Experimenting can be fun. I was pleasantly surprised to find that clean AC made a significant difference, as I was with maintaining clean connectors (via Caig), and later, cables, even inexpensive ones. Sometimes the effect is cumulative. Once the bug bites, it's hard to go back 
bigsmile_face.gif

x2. First the headphones, source and amp. Cables last. That's just going by the the magnitude of improvement I've heard from upgrading each component. I also find that good cables benefit from a good signal, so using them with low-end components will not reveal the true benefits of the cable upgrade.

To the OP: I had the STX and the ST with a lot of opamps. You're just at the tip of the iceberg friend. There are much better sources and amps out there and the HD650s are capable of more than what you're hearing right now.

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #69 of 101
To the OP: I had the STX and the ST with a lot of opamps. You're just at the tip of the iceberg friend. There are much better sources and amps out there and the HD650s are capable of more than what you're hearing right now.

Thanks for the thought but I've done my best to communicate that I don't want any boxes on my desk and currently, the STX is the reining champ in the computer sound card category.  I'm well aware there are additional choices but I've never stated that I'm looking for the best possible sound other than what I've done.  If it can't be done in the computer, then for my purposes, it doesn't need to be done.  As far as my computer goes, it's not going get any better unless I decide to step up to an HD800 which is highly unlikely.

FWIW, I have an Adcom transport, Marantz receiver, Golden Tube Amp, Klipsch Epic speakers, Kimber Kable interconnects and more but this thread is about appreciation for your headphone cables.  As the OP, this thread isn't about anything else.  Again, I've asked the mods to step in because folks here don't want to voluntarily respect my request regarding posting comments about their love for their headphone cables.

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #71 of 101

Quote:

Thanks for the thought but I've done my best to communicate that I don't want any boxes on my desk and currently, the STX is the reining champ in the computer sound card category.  I'm well aware there are additional choices but I've never stated that I'm looking for the best possible sound other than what I've done.  If it can't be done in the computer, then for my purposes, it doesn't need to be done.  As far as my computer goes, it's not going get any better unless I decide to step up to an HD800 which is highly unlikely.

FWIW, I have an Adcom transport, Marantz receiver, Golden Tube Amp, Klipsch Epic speakers, Kimber Kable interconnects and more but this thread is about appreciation for your headphone cables.  As the OP, this thread isn't about anything else.  Again, I've asked the mods to step in because folks here don't want to voluntarily respect my request regarding posting comments about their love for their headphone cables.

I'm a cable believer. Look at my sig. I think good wire is very important. But, I was trying to convey to you how much more improvement you can get by upgrading the STX than from a cable upgrade (it would increase the improvement from the cable as well). There are computer soundcards that IMO, are *significantly* better than the STX. The Musiland 02US is not only cheaper, but sounds better and is more versatile. It's also tiny and mates very well with the HD650.

Anyways, since you've requested no further amp/DAC recommendations, I won't say any more about that. I've bought several cables from Peter at DHC (including my HD650 cable) and I agree with your findings. I preferred it over the Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3. IMO, the HD600 are better than the HD650 in stock form in terms of neutrality and accuracy, despite the 650's technical superiority. With an aftermarket cable, I think the 650 pulls ahead and really becomes a top tier can (again, assuming you own the proper ancillaries).

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #72 of 101
But, I was trying to convey to you how much more improvement you can get by upgrading the STX than from a cable upgrade (it would increase the improvement from the cable as well).

The Musiland 02US is not only cheaper, but sounds better and is more versatile.

FWIW, and it doesn't fit inside my computer.

My apologies for my punchiness.  The anti-cable crowd has done their best to climb under my skin and share their sickness.  They have succeeded.  No, I'm not immune to their hateful manners as I'm just another human with all normal frailties.  The moderators have been good about nuking reported posts, I'm grateful.  This is a DBT free forum for good reason, to cut down on the vitriol and I for one am happy with this point.

I set out to make this sojourn a computer centric process and the final piece was the headphone cable.  I love this cable and the benefits it's presents adds to the sound quality.  I simply wanted a thread where folks who like their headphone cables could come in peace and share their love.

Peace out.
beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #73 of 101

Quote:
But, I was trying to convey to you how much more improvement you can get by upgrading the STX than from a cable upgrade (it would increase the improvement from the cable as well).

The Musiland 02US is not only cheaper, but sounds better and is more versatile.

FWIW, and it doesn't fit inside my computer.

My apologies for my punchiness.  The anti-cable crowd has done their best to climb under my skin and share their sickness.  They have succeeded.  No, I'm not immune to their hateful manners as I'm just another human with all normal frailties.  The moderators have been good about nuking reported posts, I'm grateful.  This is a DBT free forum for good reason, to cut down on the vitriol and I for one am happy with this point.

I set out to make this sojourn a computer centric process and the final piece was the headphone cable.  I love this cable and the benefits it's presents adds to the sound quality.  I simply wanted a thread where folks who like their headphone cables could come in peace and share their love.

Peace out.
beerchug.gif

Yep, you've got a great HD650 cable. The main benefit of it is the increase in transparency it provides, which means it shows more of what the upstream gear sounds like. Since you're adamant on keeping the STX and I've said I won't bother with DAC/amp recommendations, I feel I should inform you that the STX improved noticeably when I changed the stock opamps to 3 x LME49720NA. If you're going to keep that soundcard, those are *the* opamps to get. I tried lots of others, but ended up with the 49720NA. It's a cheap upgrade that requires no more than 10 minutes of your time.

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #74 of 101
3 x LME49720NA

Thanks for the OpAmp recommendations.  I have a pair of LME49720NA's and a pair of OPA2111KP's.  I wanted to let the STX, the power supply unit and the HD650's time to burn in so I can get a feel for their combined native sound before I start rolling amps.

Against the wishes of the anti-cable crowd, everything I've done, that they've said doesn't make a difference, has made a difference, including the headphone cable.  Ya gotta love jealousy cause it tells you that you're doing something right.

biggrin.gif

FWIW, I do have to say that unripped, straight off the CD, sounds better than WAV.  Has more air.

???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back