Headphone and soundcard suggestion for FPS gaming (Counter Strike 1.6) - need help please. :)
Apr 7, 2011 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

avinin1

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I had hard time with my death Steelseries 7H USB.
I realised that this headset is really marketing trick and money, at least - for what you paid for.

I'm playing Counter Srike 1.6 Competitive ONLINE, so its dont have to be close model headphone/headset since I'm not a lan player.
I'm hear ALOT of Recommendations about the AD700, but in my budget I think that I can get something better - 230USD.

sound card - since I'm counter strike 1.6 player (game which supported A3D 1.0 , EAX 2) - what ASUS STX,ST,DELUXE,DX have to offer me .
CREATIVE cards are not supported CS techno since its more newer techno - EAX 4.0/5.0 and no A3D.
But most of reviewrs and people say that in term of 3d pos audio the CREATIVE ARE BETTER, and the ASUS IS MORE FOR MUSIC.
beacause as you can see - ASUS techno getting more advantage in CS1.6 beacause its suports its old sound techno.
but again, people says that the CREATIVE have better 3d pos audio for gaming.
What Should I do?
Any Recommendations?

thanks alot!:p

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 11
This guide on gaming headphones may be useful, regarding soundcards i have heard good things (coming from gamers) from the Xonar D1 / DS. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 11
Creative is no longer the force it once was in PCs, and is turning into of a vendor of niche products for PC gamers. Nevertheless, Creative audio systems may still be your best bet for in-game 3D audio support. For older games, assuming you still have access Windows XP, EAX was the de facto standard for 3D audio for most of the previous decade; this kind of ended with Vista, and things haven't been the same for them since.

I've gamed on systems with and without Creative cards, and there were often 3D audio controls specific to EAX that were not available otherwise. This is particularly true of DirectX 9 (and earlier) games. The EAX 3.0+ features do not appear to be available with the ASUS cards; but I'm not sure how important this really is.

My current gaming rig is running with stock Realtek audio; but I don't have any FPS installed. 3D audio is fine with the Realtek and titles like Dragon Age (so speakers and not headphones).  I am curious how accurate the ASUS virtual surround sound is with headphones.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 11
Get the Sennheiser PC360

I play CS online as well, I use a AKG K701 but I have a $500 AMP/DAC to go with it so that kind of puts it out of your price range..

The K701 is an awesome headphone for 1.6, they are sold often for $200 in the for sale forums here, you might be able to make it work for you if you stretch you budget a little bit and get an amp/dac of some sort for another $100...

Otherwise, just get the PC360, its the best headset on the market, gives you a microphone for calling in game and can be used at lan if you ever wanted to... The PC360 does directional sound really well, whilst picking up a lot of the nuances in the game... If I was still buying headsets for gaming I would have gotten the PC360.

If you don't want either of these, just get a AD700 with a cheap $10 boom mic from somewhere and spend the cash you saved on something fun.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 11
The PC 360 is open air so sound leakage is greater than with the PC 350, and that would be the only reason that I can think of to select the 350 over the 360. If you want a gaming headset that can do double duty, the PC 360 would be the better choice for music in my opinion.

If you wanted to game on a notebook (not saying that it isn't perfectly fine on full-size PCs), the PC 333D might be an interesting option; but I have no experience with it to recommend for or against it.

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 11
I've had a lot of issues with Creative stuff. I find it to be cheaply made, with poor support and drivers. But that's just my experience.

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 11
You're mixing things up. Just because Creative supports EAX 4 and 5, doesn't mean it doesn't support the lower levels of EAX, it supports EAX from its first iteration up to EAX 5. Competitive solutions, such as Asus Xonar series, only support up to EAX 2.

Positional cues are more accurate from Creative cards, as well as the surround virtualization tech used. Asus cards garble positional cues in CS specifically, and gets worse with their Dolby tech.

If your aim is gaming, get something like a X-Fi XtremeGamer (Titanium version for PCIe motherboards) or a custom X-Fi board such as Auzentech X-Fi Forte. Overall, AD700 are considered very good headphones for games that depend on accurate positional cues, though they lack of bass, which shouldn't be that much of an issue if you play competitively.

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 11
You're mixing things up. Just because Creative supports EAX 4 and 5, doesn't mean it doesn't support the lower levels of EAX, it supports EAX from its first iteration up to EAX 5. Competitive solutions, such as Asus Xonar series, only support up to EAX 2.

Positional cues are more accurate from Creative cards, as well as the surround virtualization tech used. Asus cards garble positional cues in CS specifically, and gets worse with their Dolby tech.

If your aim is gaming, get something like a X-Fi XtremeGamer (Titanium version for PCIe motherboards) or a custom X-Fi board such as Auzentech X-Fi Forte. Overall, AD700 are considered very good headphones for games that depend on accurate positional cues, though they lack of bass, which shouldn't be that much of an issue if you play competitively.

So if I played only CS1.6 Asus card will be better choice for me?
what the advanged of playing Asus in CS1.6 and not with the Creative?

thanks for the input also.

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 11
It's the other way around. If you only played CS, Creative is by far the best option.

For music, Asus does have a slight edge over Creative, and only on their higher end cards.

You can get this card, and it will blow you away
biggrin.gif
: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Titanium-Internal-SB1270/dp/B0041OUA38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302468803&sr=8-1

Or you can get a cheaper one that will have the same tech, only with lower quality components: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-SB0886-Titanium-Fatal1ty-Professional/dp/B0018EFGTM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302468803&sr=8-3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back