Headphone and/or DAC/AMP upgrade path for me?
Jul 27, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #17 of 23
Thanks for your input.
This has me thinking that maybe I should look for Focal Clear and get HD600 or HD650/XX later, could be confirmation bias since I am leaning toward Focal Clear. :relaxed:

You should get what you want.

The Clear drops in value faster than the HD800. I think it's in part because Sennheisers are generally more reliable and less prone to driver failure.

Well, aside from a few faux pas thanks to Drop, Sennheiser controls pricing aggressively, doesn't honor warranties on goods sold on the grey market (scamazon, etc.) I have read of zero instances of Sennheiser driver failures but I think marketing is more responsible for holding the value. A few other brands don't control pricing and even offer factory sales that make people who paid full pop for their headphones angry.

Hifiman HE6seV2 + bananas male to XLR female adapter + SMSL AO200 = endgame
😎
499 new + 50 + 300 (dunno)

Whenever what headphone is the question, HE6SE V2 is @Guipnox answer :p

These are great cans but may or may not be too hot for the music the OP mentioned and I have no idea if they're good for gaming.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #18 of 23
The Clear drops in value faster than the HD800. I think it's in part because Sennheisers are generally more reliable and less prone to driver failure.
You should get what you want.

Well, aside from a few faux pas thanks to Drop, Sennheiser controls pricing aggressively, doesn't honor warranties on goods sold on the grey market (scamazon, etc.) I have read of zero instances of Sennheiser driver failures but I think marketing is more responsible for holding the value. A few other brands don't control pricing and even offer factory sales that make people who paid full pop for their headphones angry.

Whenever what headphone is the question, HE6SE V2 is @Guipnox answer :p

These are great cans but may or may not be too hot for the music the OP mentioned and I have no idea if they're good for gaming.
Ah, that makes sense. I did see some parts failure stories with Focal Clear.
Have you listened to the Focal Clear?

Based on your responses, it sounds like you want to buy the Focal Clears. If you can't audition them, I would say go for it anyways. Because you won't know until you try them.
Unfortunately, I have not.
With what you already have, you can just get a Topping A30 Pro and even use the EVGA NU RCA outputs to connect to the XLR inputs with adapters, just not a balanced source connecting to an unbalanced anything:

https://www.amazon.com/Topping-Headphone-Amplifier-OPA1656-Balanced/dp/B08Y87LK94
I have never heard of the term gaybay but here we are. I will also look into the topping options. :)
Hifiman HE6seV2 + bananas male to XLR female adapter + SMSL AO200 = endgame
😎
499 new + 50 + 300 (dunno)
I did hear a lot of positive things about HE6se but since I already have HE5se, I wanted to try out different brands and dynamic drivers.

HD6xx is a HD650. So tempting to get one myself
Right, I really should've got one last year when it was on sale but didn't feel a need to back then. I blame my self-control.

Thank you all for your responses and input!
I think I will try to get Focal Clear since it's cheaper than 800s and more likely to have a warranty if I get it used unlike non-s 800.
Now I gotta go find some deals in Classifieds. :)
It seems mint condition focal clear was recently sold for $720, so hoping I find something like that as well.

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #20 of 23
Both of course

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #21 of 23
Or the HD700. Fantastic value. Balls better than HD6xx series at a bargain price.

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #22 of 23
Or the HD700. Fantastic value. Balls better than HD6xx series at a bargain price.
The HD700 are great fidelity headphones, however they have a quite bright peak in the treble, which the 650s does not.

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #23 of 23
Hasn't been an issue for me. Depends who listens to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back