Headphone and/or DAC/AMP upgrade path for me?
Jul 27, 2022 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

SeaCowManatee

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
Long time lurker since 2014 but my first time posting.

Lately, I've been browsing to get some upgrades on my current setup and thought I would ask for advice from everyone.
I am currently using Hifiman HE5se and AKG N90Q headphones with EVGA NU and Sound BlasterX G6, which I use mainly for gaming and jazzy-type music.
I've previously owned and used Sennheiser HD598, Audio Technica ATH-M50, and Beyerdynamic T90.

I was originally thinking of getting HD600/650 but I thought that would be more of a side grade instead of an upgrade for me.
So now I am thinking maybe I should get Focal Clear or HD800 which from what I read so far, is a usual upgrade path from the HD6xx series as well.
Am I correct to assume Focal Clear or HD800 would be a good upgrade path for me as well?

I thought of getting DAC/AMP as well but I don't think I have any headphones that are worthy of getting a new DAC/AMP since EVGA NU and Sound BlasterX G6 are serving me well so far. But I would love to hear some recommendations for DAC/AMP as well if you have any.

Thank you all for your reading and time!

Jul 27, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 23
Hello SeaCowManatee--yeah the HD800/S, Clear OG/MG, or Arya v2/v3 is a typical upgrade. I'm guessing you definitely want an open back and it will be multi-purpose, meaning gaming and music? What's your all-in budget including HP/DAC/AMP?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 23
Hello SeaCowManatee--yeah the HD800/S, Clear OG/MG, or Arya v2/v3 is a typical upgrade. I'm guessing you definitely want an open back and it will be multi-purpose, meaning gaming and music? What's your all-in budget including HP/DAC/AMP?
You are spot on! I don't mind closed-back if there are better options but open-back has been comfortable for me so far and it will be mainly for gaming and music.
My all-in budget is about $1000, my thought was that I would get used headphones for $700-800 and spend the rest on DAC/amp.

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 23
HD650s are quite different from HD800. The HD 650/600 are quite good headphones and there isn't *that* much fidelity to be found by spending more money. Not saying there is none - there definitely is, however there are other considerations that are more important - meaning your personal tastes - what are you looking for in a headphone? Example: the HD800 might be the most impressive dynamic headphone you can get your hands on, however if you can't handle the treble / prefer a more calm treble, then the technical advantages are for naught. It is way, way more important that you find your prefered sound signature at this point, than to get the most "technically impressive" headphone.

For Jazz, I would consider the following:

Stax lambda series, LCD 2, or HD650. The lambdas are significantly brighter sounding than the other two. The LCD 2 and Lambdas are also way less practical because you need to baby them. HD650 you can baby around. The lambda series are costly and needs a special amplifier. The HD650 are reasonably cheap and great sounding.

The LCD 2 has way better bass than the HD650. To me a direct upgrade sound wise. The lambdas are way clearer than both, but also significantly brighter.

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 23
Saving some $$ on the HD800 and get an HD650. With the extra money saved, get a DAC/amp combo to properly drive the headphones. (Topping dx) for eg). Going straight to the clears/HD800 without power won't be that satisfying.
Don't stress of the 650's being 'midfi' you will find alot of hifi members here that still cherish the 650's

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 23
I understand the love for the HD600/650 here, but I don't personally like them for gaming.

From the options you're looking at, I would opt for an HD800. At least it's a headphone that will hold some value, is enjoyable with the proper setup, and is solid for gaming.

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 23
The HD 800 S is not necessarily an upgrade from a pair of HD 600s. They're analytical, a bit cold, and lack impact that a lot of people expect. They're a great technical headphone but from a standpoint of enjoyment, unless you listen to mostly orchestral, big-room music, a pair of HD 600s is gonna be a better choice.

I don't game, so my answer is only from the music listening angle.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 23
Since you like Jazzy music, see if you can get this used ZMF Auteur For $1k shipped:

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/zmf-auteur-ltd-zebrawood.29622/
Thanks for the suggestion. It seems I will need to spend about a little bit more for ZMF Auteur and DAC/AMP if I go that route but I will keep it in mind!
HD650s are quite different from HD800. The HD 650/600 are quite good headphones and there isn't *that* much fidelity to be found by spending more money. Not saying there is none - there definitely is, however there are other considerations that are more important - meaning your personal tastes - what are you looking for in a headphone? Example: the HD800 might be the most impressive dynamic headphone you can get your hands on, however if you can't handle the treble / prefer a more calm treble, then the technical advantages are for naught. It is way, way more important that you find your prefered sound signature at this point, than to get the most "technically impressive" headphone.

For Jazz, I would consider the following:

Stax lambda series, LCD 2, or HD650. The lambdas are significantly brighter sounding than the other two. The LCD 2 and Lambdas are also way less practical because you need to baby them. HD650 you can baby around. The lambda series are costly and needs a special amplifier. The HD650 are reasonably cheap and great sounding.

The LCD 2 has way better bass than the HD650. To me a direct upgrade sound wise. The lambdas are way clearer than both, but also significantly brighter.
Saving some $$ on the HD800 and get an HD650. With the extra money saved, get a DAC/amp combo to properly drive the headphones. (Topping dx) for eg). Going straight to the clears/HD800 without power won't be that satisfying.
Don't stress of the 650's being 'midfi' you will find alot of hifi members here that still cherish the 650's
For HD650, I am thinking about getting HD6XX from the Drop if it goes down to $179 again this year's holiday season.
Personally, I don't know how I feel about spending more on DAC/AMP than headphones. Although I understand DAC/AMP can be used with multiple headphones.
I understand the love for the HD600/650 here, but I don't personally like them for gaming.

From the options you're looking at, I would opt for an HD800. At least it's a headphone that will hold some value, is enjoyable with the proper setup, and is solid for gaming.
Is Focal Clear holding less value than HD800? I prefer getting an item that still has some warranty left just in case and that seems impossible for HD800 unless I splurge for 800s. Because of this, I am leaning toward Focal Clear at this moment.

For DAC/AMPs, are Atom Stack, Schiit Stack, or Topping 30 Stack good enough for Focal Clear/HD800?
They seem to be about $200 which fits the budget.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 23
The HD 800 S is not necessarily an upgrade from a pair of HD 600s. They're analytical, a bit cold, and lack impact that a lot of people expect. They're a great technical headphone but from a standpoint of enjoyment, unless you listen to mostly orchestral, big-room music, a pair of HD 600s is gonna be a better choice.

I don't game, so my answer is only from the music listening angle.
Thanks for your input.
This has me thinking that maybe I should look for Focal Clear and get HD600 or HD650/XX later, could be confirmation bias since I am leaning toward Focal Clear. :relaxed:

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 23
Is Focal Clear holding less value than HD800? I prefer getting an item that still has some warranty left just in case and that seems impossible for HD800 unless I splurge for 800s. Because of this, I am leaning toward Focal Clear at this moment.
The Clear drops in value faster than the HD800. I think it's in part because Sennheisers are generally more reliable and less prone to driver failure.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 23
Thanks for your input.
This has me thinking that maybe I should look for Focal Clear and get HD600 or HD650/XX later, could be confirmation bias since I am leaning toward Focal Clear. :relaxed:
Have you listened to the Focal Clear?

Based on your responses, it sounds like you want to buy the Focal Clears. If you can't audition them, I would say go for it anyways. Because you won't know until you try them.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 23
Jul 27, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 23
HD6xx is a HD650. So tempting to get one myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back