Headphone amps in New York-where to find them
Jul 7, 2007 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tuatara

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone able to provide any names of shops in New York that carries a range of headphone amps...long shot I know.

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 15
You can try to find dealers, but there are so few companies that mass-produce amps that you won't find any dealers who carry more than a couple headphone amps, if even that. You'd be far better off procuring a meet, there are tons of Head-Fiers in the NYC metro area!

AudioCubes will have a store in NYC soon (unknown when though) but I doubt they'll carry a serious number of amps, since there's only one amp on their Web site, the AT HA-25D.

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try to find dealers, but there are so few companies that mass-produce amps that you won't find any dealers who carry more than a couple headphone amps, if even that. You'd be far better off procuring a meet, there are tons of Head-Fiers in the NYC metro area!

AudioCubes will have a store in NYC soon (unknown when though) but I doubt they'll carry a serious number of amps, since there's only one amp on their Web site, the AT HA-25D.

You echo my own thoughts but I am making enquiries on behalf of someone who is visiting NY for a couple of days.
If you think its hard to audition amps there you should try our part of the world.

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 15
This post is weird. I am new to getting into this headphone stuff and I really want to go to some shop when i am in NYC tomorrow (to see tortoise), but I guess i'll just have to settle for just some regular audio stores in the city. Those should be fun too.

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This hobby could not exist without the Internet, I think.

It could, and did exist fine without the Internet ... , have had my system since before the Internet became accessible here ...

Jul 7, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This hobby could not exist without the Internet, I think.

It certainly wouldn't be as much fun and the wallet would be healthier.
Before I found Headfi I was quite happy with my SR225s out my Luxman amp and didn't even know such things as headphone amps existed.
Certainly wouldn't be enjoying the gear I have now.

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It certainly wouldn't be as much fun and the wallet would be healthier.
Before I found Headfi I was quite happy with my SR225s out my Luxman amp and didn't even know such things as headphone amps existed.
Certainly wouldn't be enjoying the gear I have now.

I found Headwize, long before Head-Fi came into being ... , one thing the internet has done is increase the information available on headphones and headphone amps, and made it easy to buy and sell them

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 15
Hey Java, could you send me some of that sunny SA weather. Got up this morning, water pipes frozen, gas for the heater run out, ice on the inside of the windows, bloody hell, time for a holiday I think.

Jul 7, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 15
Jul 7, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 15
Jul 8, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Java, could you send me some of that sunny SA weather. Got up this morning, water pipes frozen, gas for the heater run out, ice on the inside of the windows, bloody hell, time for a holiday I think.

HEEE ..... heeeee .... , only -5 this morning going up to 13-15 during the day, not too bad, been awhile since the water pipes froze here ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 15
some1x - I was going to remind him of exactly the same thing - mention touching base with Woo.

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 15
I had emailed Woo some time ago as I live in the next town and the response was they were not set up for auditioning their amps. That was a year ago, things may have changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back