Headphone amp project and the disappearing thread
Mar 7, 2011 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

peranders

Member of the Trade: Sjöström Audio
Some people may have noticed that my thread about my headphone amp project disappeared. The reason is that someboby reported me and now I'm a member of trade and the limit for qualify for this is zero. This means (if I have understood it correctly) that I'm not allowed to share anything such as pictures, schematics etc. if any money is involved.

So with this I'll thank you guys for nearly one decade here of sharing. In the future I can only post general stuff and not my own.

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 12
Are you sure about this?  I think the deciding factor may be whether you are acting as a business, selling product at a profit.  I know other projects here that involve bare pcbs effectively sold at cost seem unaffected (as they should!)
If commercial interests are actually trying to suffocate the DIY community then that'll be the last straw for me.  I know several other forums seem to have a very healthy DIY atmosphere. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 12
I do not like to see purely commercial interests come in here to "advertise"
their products as it does nothing to help our community as the design detail
are most often kept behind closed doors. In P-A's case, while he did not
give anything away free, he did at least offer his schematics up for a small fee.
I can understand his feelings.

So far, myself, I have refused to sell anything to anyone even at my cost
to avoid any potential problems with the rules of this board.
I also figure anything posted here about ones own designs is given
to be in the public domain. If I post a schematic or board design
it is implied that I give anyone the opportunity to produce it.

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 12
When someone doesn't make a fortune from it, I don't see it as a problem. This is a DIY thread after all.

And when is someone willing to share his schematics, even better.

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
When someone doesn't make a fortune from it, I don't see it as a problem. This is a DIY thread after all.

And when is someone willing to share his schematics, even better.

but 'fortune' is a very subjective term.  i think they either have to say for-profit or non-profit ...they can't really start talking about acceptable profit margins and be auditing members.  ideally people should be free to pursue their ambitions, but here we have commercial interests who seem to feel threatened by a free market.

also what's the deal with everyone and their mother being a mot?  is headfi making a profit on this?

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Some people may have noticed that my thread about my headphone amp project disappeared. The reason is that someboby reported me and now I'm a member of trade and the limit for qualify for this is zero. This means (if I have understood it correctly) that I'm not allowed to share anything such as pictures, schematics etc. if any money is involved.

So with this I'll thank you guys for nearly one decade here of sharing. In the future I can only post general stuff and not my own.

It's "If any money above the cost of materials and shipping is involved."  As I explained in the PM, DIY projects not-for-profit are fine, but to be absolutely fair, where any profit is taken, then Head-Fi considers it a commercial project.

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 12
To expand a little on Currawong's post, the reason we draw a line on commercial ventures is because we have paid advertisers and sponsors. If we allowed unpaid promotion of any commercial venture, it would be unfair to those who do pay.

Head-Fi needs its sponsors and advertisers. Otherwise, it would not be possible to keep the lights on.

If some were allowed to have free promotion, then why wouldn't the paying sponsors and advertisers stop paying and also expect free promotion?

I do appreciate new businesses and would like to see them succeed. However, they will need to pay for promotion here, just like everyone else. If anyone is interested in advertising or sponsorship, drop us a PM. We'll connect you with the people who handle that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back