Headphone Amp on a Budget
May 4, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #16 of 23
I don't think one really needs to ding the $1k price point before good tube amps can be found.  Top-flight reference level?  Maybe not, but for the normal person?  Plenty of options.
Quote:
Please read the warnings given by Uncle Erik and others re any tube amp costing less than a thousand dollars. I'd rather spend that $60 on beer.

A decent RCA-mini converter shouldn't adversely affect SQ in the setup you're looking at.  Just make sure it's not a ragged old re-spliced cable, and you should be fine.

Quote:
Awesome, I already have one of those lying around! I read somewhere that RCA to 3.55mm diminishes SQ, though, is there any truth to that? Well, either way, it looks like it's the most promising set-up, and fits my needs. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #19 of 23
There's a japanese headphone amp AND speaker amp in one for only $50 I think that's pretty neat, it's not Hi-Fi but it's better than the $60 tube amps from ebay, I've tried those as well.

Apart from DIY I think the Scythe is the best sub-$60 Headphone amp, and it powers speakers too so you can throw away your logitech's. =)

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #20 of 23
A decent RCA-mini converter shouldn't adversely affect SQ in the setup you're looking at.  Just make sure it's not a ragged old re-spliced cable, and you should be fine.

It's just a cable, there is no actual active conversion, so the only degradation in sound will be through the wire.
However I would be very surprised if this decrease in sound quality is even audible. In fact I used one of those myself and did some testing, and I assure I could hear absolutely no difference at all.

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #22 of 23
These kinds of threads really need a poll. Well actually the ones that answer this question not ask. Anyway, I know this is not helpful in any way to you. Just a random thought. Sorry about that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back