Headphone Amp Misunderstandings!
Mar 23, 2013 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

madsam

New Head-Fier
Dears!!

I tried to search the internet (including this website) i couldn't find any answer for my question.
I would like to take the chance and open discussion about relation between Headamps and headphones' independence.

I saw a lot of posts saying that Beyerdynamics 250 Ohm can be driven with E7 or any portable amp.

I would like to say that it is partial true since small amps like E7, E9, Bravo Audio Tube, or even Hi-Fi man tube EF2A and others can drive a 250 or even 600 Ohm headphones, but the incomplete truth that these amps cannot show how powerful these phones are!!!

In my opinion, 32 Ohm headphones are not to be used only with iphone or ipod or any pc output, 32 ohm phones MUST be used with Headamps (example of above listed) since it shows the real characteristics of these phones and what they are able to provide!!

Also, using (for example ATH M50) with E7 is not enough at all, it MUST be used with amps like ( hifi man EF2A or similar amps).
Using the M50 with with E7 provides good and decent output, but NOT ENOUGH!!!

So what if using these small amps with 250 ohm versions or even 600?? it is like putting in a huge truck a 4 Cylinder Engine, it can be driven, but not powerful at all.

Conclusion, I came out with these conclusions after trying and spending some money, and it is weird that nobody was clear in this concern.

and now my question, what I shall use to FIT and DRIVE my DT990 pro 250 ohm phone??

Thanks a lot!!

Regards
B.K

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 10
Price range? Portable? Desktop? Input type?
Without knowing those, if you're after lots of power, Schiit Magni if you're on a budget. Hundred bucks, 1.2 watts at 32 ohms.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 10
I've used my Fiio E11 to power my DT990/600 ohm.  They are plenty loud and sound quite acceptable to me.  Therefore, I think just about any amp can drive the 250 ohm version.  You could also probably get them to sound decent straight out of an iPhone, iPod, or Android device.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 10
Depending on the source, on my Colorfly C3 if the tracks were recorded at a decent level then the FiiO E11 will just power my DT880 Pro's to a respectable listening level with the Volume control around 7/10. If the tracks are recorded lower, then the E11 does not have any more top end available to bring up the volume to the same level's. (Gain High, Hidden switch on High as well, C3 volume at 35/40)

On my E09K / E17 combo I have never turned the volume past 10 o'clock for my DT880 Pro's to be more than loud enough for listening.

The E11 will power my Ultrasone HFI-780's to dangerously loud levels, I never have the E11 past 4/10 with the 'Sones.
Down the road I am looking to pick up C&C BH Amp for my portable use and greater power level's, the FiiO E12 is just too big in size for me.

The E09K has 900mw@32Ω output so It should drive the 250Ω headphones really well, again it all depends on the output level of the source involved and whether it reaches proper line out levels.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 10
Price Range can be up to 400 usd for a decent Amp.
output: Mac Mini (i have another desktop and thinking to have a decent sound card like asus)
I was thinking of Schiit valhala, since i think tube amps have better performance.

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
I've used my Fiio E11 to power my DT990/600 ohm.  They are plenty loud and sound quite acceptable to me.  Therefore, I think just about any amp can drive the 250 ohm version.  You could also probably get them to sound decent straight out of an iPhone, iPod, or Android device.

My dear Friend, What i believed is that using My mac and having "Boom" software (volume booster and EQ) + my Fiio E7 has crancked up my ATM50, but after using tube amp (bravo audio) i heard things never knew the headphone can give.
So for sure using E11 DT990 600 Ohm aren't good to drive the phone in correct way.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 10
I usually drive them with a high-end tube amp.  But, when lightening is striking and I want to still listen to music, I use the portable rig.  

Quote:
My dear Friend, What i believed is that using My mac and having "Boom" software (volume booster and EQ) + my Fiio E7 has crancked up my ATM50, but after using tube amp (bravo audio) i heard things never knew the headphone can give.
So for sure using E11 DT990 600 Ohm aren't good to drive the phone in correct way.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I usually drive them with a high-end tube amp.  But, when lightening is striking and I want to still listen to music, I use the portable rig.  

Can you please tell and advise me what kind of amp you are using, i really want to hear good music 
L3000.gif

gs1000.gif

and many thanks in advance.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 10
Trafomatic Head One.  It's a transformer coupled tube amp.  It is simply amazing.  It's the most linear amp I've ever heard and doesn't have any flab in the bass or high end roll off that some tube amps have.

Quote:
Can you please tell and advise me what kind of amp you are using, i really want to hear good music 
L3000.gif

gs1000.gif

and many thanks in advance.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Trafomatic Head One.  It's a transformer coupled tube amp.  It is simply amazing.  It's the most linear amp I've ever heard and doesn't have any flab in the bass or high end roll off that some tube amps have.

Just checked the price ..... Wow!!!
I mean it looks like something very sweet and beautiful to have, but in the other hand ... too expensive at USD 1400$.
My budget is limited on such things up to 400 500$ max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back