Headphone amp instead of a receiver?
Feb 17, 2010 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Weps

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a DT880 and I'm planning to buy the HD650 as wel. At the moment, I'm using my Marantz SR5003 receiver to drive the DT880. To me, it sounds pretty good. Will I notice a big difference if I buy a real headphone amp for it? Isn't my receiver more or less the same as a solid state amp? Or does this make you laugh?
smile_phones.gif

Headphone amps I'm thinking about: Corda Swing (SS) and Little Dot MK III (tube).

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 32
depends on which version of the dt880. whether 32 ohms, 250 ohms, or 600 ohms.
obviously, any cans that you paid over $200 for will improve greatly with a dedicated amp. that's what they're meant to do.
but, the separation really occurs when you pair a higher impedence set with an amp.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
obviously, any cans that you paid over $200 for will improve greatly with a dedicated amp. that's what they're meant to do.
but, the separation really occurs when you pair a higher impedence set with an amp.
bigsmile_face.gif

It's 250 ohm.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 32
There is zero guarantee you will hear an improvement with a dedicated amp. Chances are you'll be disappointed. Keep using your Marantz, and if circumstances allow you to try a dedicated amp, do so, but don't imagine that just because an amp is labelled as a headphone amp it will necessary be superior. There is no magic dust to be sprinkled here, and the principles of amp design remain the same whatever the intended use. Besides, Marantz generally have very good headphone outs.

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought a DT880 and I'm planning to buy the HD650 as wel. At the moment, I'm using my Marantz SR5003 receiver to drive the DT880. To me, it sounds pretty good. Will I notice a big difference if I buy a real headphone amp for it? Isn't my receiver more or less the same as a solid state amp? Or does this make you laugh?
smile_phones.gif

Headphone amps I'm thinking about: Corda Swing (SS) and Little Dot MK III (tube).

The gains if any ( depending on your phones ) are small and depending on your taste in music and on how critical you listen you might be just wasting your money.

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 32
Marantz are good brand and certainly makes a good receiver. I doubt it's better than dedicated amp though that is specially designed for a headphone.

However, like the above people says, it's a good idea to audition first as what you may hear may not justify the additional cost.

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 32
Marantz makes some alright A/V receivers. While I wouldn't expect your receiver to compete with a Luxman P-1u, it will do for now. I think the DAC in your receiver should beat many cheap external DACs and most sound cards. The one area I think is a bit weak in the Marantz A/V receivers is the amp section. I sent my old Marantz's pre-amp output to a good power amp to drive speakers, it made a noticable difference.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smile_phones.gif

Depends.. If you want better & different get a good 300-400 tube amp.. The DT880 mate extremely well with tube amps.. Never heard the SR5003, but my mid range (1,300) Yamaha 1800 drove my 650 very well, to the point, most 'normal' people wouldn't bother to spend the extra money to upgrade the sound.. I had a lower end Yamaha before it, & was a noob, It drove my 650 porly, & believe that 99% of receiver headphone outs were crap.. I don't believe that now.. I believe more then half the people here will get good to great sound out of a receiver with a good headphone section, without feeling the need to upgrade.. I have a $650 dedicated headphone amp, & still use my receiver on occasion..

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Depends on many variables.. You really can't assume. Some receivers do a really good job with headphones, especially the vintage models..

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #11 of 32
If you're happy with what you're hearing, why buy anything else?

Tubes will give you a different experience, but be sure to audition before you buy. You might be perfectly happy continuing with what you already have.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 32
"obviously, any cans that you paid over $200 for will improve greatly with a dedicated amp."

-that is both completely wrong and misleading. 'price point logic' is utterly meaningless and a bane.

that said, if you can audition the headphone amp before you buy, perhaps a demo version you can take home and leave collateral on, then i'd go for it
beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're happy with what you're hearing, why buy anything else?

Maybe because I don't know what I'm missing? Or maybe I do. Sometimes I wish the DT880 was a little more smooth, with less sharpness and some more bass...

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 32
I don't know how comparable Marantz to Pioneer in terms of headphone output.

Pioneer headphone out to HD800 sounds crap..

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 32
As others have already said, you should see if you can attend a local meet or even go to the next CamJam. For all we know, your Marantz could already be very decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back