Headphone amp for Beyerdynamic DT-990 (600ohm)
Aug 23, 2010 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tiramisu515

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am looking for a desktop headphone amp to match the DT-990 (600 ohm).

Therefore, I seek your recommendation for a good match. Budget not more than $800.

Maybe, can have three category since they are so many amps around..
1. Under $300
2. Under $500
3. Under $800

Many thanks and I look forward for your kind recommendation.

Regards

Tiramisu

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, in the under $100 category..........................

I'm running mine, with a little Chinese-made BRAVO EH6922 tube hybrid amp.
While I'm sure a MUCH more expensive amp, would make the DT-990 Pro's sound better?
For the money, it's very hard to complain about the performance.
While the stock EH 6922 is OK, the tube rolling possibilities are virtually endless?
However, considering the LOW price point of the amp, I wouldn't  go crazy on high-end European tubes.
I'm running a $6 NOS Sylvania 6DJ8 tube.
While NOT the best choice obviously.
Is certainly.....cost effective!

Good luck!
Steve

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 7
I use my 250 ohm version with a XP-7 and a uDAC as the source and love the combo and synergy it provides. I've owned moare expensive amps and sources, but this rig takes the cake on all of them!

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 7
In the under $500 category, I recommend the Woo 3.  I have this exact combo and it sings.  Awesomely.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Indeed, the WA3+ also drives my soon to arrive T1 nicely (I have someone elses at the moment). I can firmly recommend the WA3+.

Another option is the PHENIX G3 which is $100 and is an OTL design. It mates very nicely with the DT990.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 7
How is Wooaudio's Wa6 sound with the DT-990 (600ohm). Anyone got any idea here?

And there is Little Dot range as well. anyone any thoughts on these?

And there is the Cayin HA-1A....... comment if you may pls.

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 7
The Woo 6 is transformer coupled, and the Woo 3 is OTL.  The sound difference is subtle from what I've read, but from what I gather, is that the OTL amps tend to sound a little more "tubey" than the transformer coupled.  But, keep in mind that I cannot verify from actual experience, but rather this is what I read.

Saying that, though, the Woos in general have been described as rather neutral amps to begin with, and not as "tubey" as other tube amps out there.  I think my Woo 3 is fairly neutral with a smidge of lovely tube bloom.  Of course, a lot of that does come from tube choice.  It's tubey in the sense it controls the highs and blooms out the bass and mids a little, but it's neutral because, well, it's fairly neutral.  No other way to describe it.

Quote:
How is Wooaudio's Wa6 sound with the DT-990 (600ohm). Anyone got any idea here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back