Headphone amp engineering 101
Jul 21, 2003 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dcfly

Head-Fier
Hi anyone/everyone,

I have a less-than complete understanding of what makes up a headphone amplifier. What are the components, and what do they do? What are the factors that make one headphone amp, whether stand-alone or built into a portable device or home component, sound better than others? Why do some devices/amps and headphones seem to work well together?

Thanks!
rs1smile.gif

Jul 21, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 8
I don't know much about EE stuff, but I know just enough to know that you're not gonna find your answers here
wink.gif
At least not accompanied by real understanding for you. You may find leads and advice on finding those answers, but it really takes alot of hard work, research/knowledge/learning and experience.

-dd3mon

Jul 21, 2003 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 8
Try the DIY section here. Also , the projects library and other sections of the Heawize site are great resources:

http://www.headwize.com/

You won't get an EE degree from reading all this, but it will put you on the path.

Jul 21, 2003 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by dcfly
Hi anyone/everyone,

I have a less-than complete understanding of what makes up a headphone amplifier. What are the components, and what do they do? What are the factors that make one headphone amp, whether stand-alone or built into a portable device or home component, sound better than others? Why do some devices/amps and headphones seem to work well together?

Thanks!
rs1smile.gif

At the very least, we can define a headphone amplifier. It's a device that takes a signal from a source, and amplifies it to a sufficient level to drive headphones. Any source with a headphone jack has at least a rudimentary headphone amp built into it. In most cases, performance can be improved by using a dedicated amp between source and headphone. This usually provides higher quality amplification than most built-in headphone jacks, if they are there at all (not always, though). What makes one sound good is a long discussion, as are compatibility issues, and I'm not sure all the answers are known yet.

Jul 22, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

What are the components

Depends on the amp design. To have amplification, you need some kind of "active" component: transistors or tubes are the simplest. You also have complex components like op-amps which are many transistors and other components put together onto a single chip.

Quote:

what do they do

They amplify.
smily_headphones1.gif

A single transistor is an amplifier, but it has many non-ideal characteristics. You can't just run music through a transistor and get something good-sounding on the other end. (But you would get louder sound out of it! This is one of the first tests the inventors of the transistor did: hook it up to a speaker and make it amplify the music. It works, it just isn't particularly pleasant sounding.)

A practical transistor audio amplifier has multiple transistors along with many associated components (resistors, capacitors, etc.) hooked together in an arrangement that attempts to minimize distortion.

An op-amp is, in many ways, an amplifier on a chip. You still need to add outside components to make it useful as an audio amplifier, though.

Tubes are similar to transistors: each one is an amplifier, but you usually end up using several to make a useful audio amplifier.

Quote:

What are the factors that make one headphone amp, whether stand-alone or built into a portable device or home component, sound better than others?

It all comes down to distortion. Some distortions are unquestionably bad, and amp designers seek to minimize them by adding components. Other distortions add "flavor" to the amp, but not everyone agrees on the best ways to combine these; it's kind of like cooking.

Reducing distortions sometimes involves removing components, but more often it involves adding them or using better types. This is the reason better amplifiers usually cost more: they have more stuff inside.

Quote:

Why do some devices/amps and headphones seem to work well together?

Part of it is the "flavor" issue. Headphones are much less balanced than even humble amps, and sometimes they require counterbalancing flavors in the amp. For instance, some people find Sennheiser headphones laid-back and boring, so pairing them with a snappy-sounding amplifier brings the system into balance for them. Pairing that same amp with "forward" sounding headphones might be too aggressive, though, so you'd maybe choose a more neutral or laid-back amp to compensate.

The other part is that different headphones cause the amp to distort in different ways because they present differing loads to the amp. One of the things that distinguishes a really good amp is that it drives most all headphones well, because its sonic character doesn't change as you try different headphones; the changes you hear should be due to the headphones alone, in a high-end system. You pick the headphones based on their sonic signature and know that your high-end amp will drive them competently, letting their true character through, whether for good or ill.

Jul 22, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks tangent, that was the kind of reply i was looking for. I'm not looking to build my own amp, I just want a little better understanding of how things work.

What about the impedance rating of headphones and how this interacts with the equipment? I've also heard people say that they have modified certain things about their equipment in order to match their headphones better. I may have misunderstood.

Jul 22, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

What about the impedance rating of headphones and how this interacts with the equipment?

Talking about just the impedance of the headphones is a handwaving way of talking about the load the headphones put on the amp. The lower the impedance, the more power the amp needs to drive them, all else being equal. The other number that's relevant here is the sensitivity.

This is distortion again. If your amp is kind of weak and you're using low-impedance headphones, you can often make them sound a lot better by changing to a more powerful amp because they're able to supply the power the headphones really want. A weak amp lacks the power to make the headphone drivers move back and forth accurately with regard to the music.

Quote:

I've also heard people say that they have modified certain things about their equipment in order to match their headphones better.

More than likely, you're hearing about op-amp or tube rolling. Change the core amplification component, change the sound of the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back