Headphone/Amp/Dac Recommendation for an EDM/Trance Listener (Mainly in Office)
Aug 29, 2017 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Nevzat

New Head-Fier
Hello people!

I am a EDM/Trance/Progressive House listener from Turkey. I actually listen all type of music but mainly EDM. In addition, I have just started my first job. I have been searching for a solid headphones (over-the-ear ofc) for a while now. And couple of days ago I've encountered with this amazing website with members knowledgeable about this stuff. Although I have searched through the Forums, I couldn't decide what to buy.

Here is what I am looking for;
  • A solid/quality pair of headphones
  • I need to be able to use them in office so I believe they should be closed-back, correct me if I'm wrong
  • I 'mainly' listen EDM/Trance/Progressive House, however I will use these headphones for other music types also, classical for example
  • I will plug them to my computer, also to my phone/ipod
  • I'm a big Sennheiser fan!!! So my priority would be going with a Senn if the difference is not huge.
From what I searched I have encountered two headphones Sennheiser HD 598 CS and Audio Technica ATH-M50X, and some . I also know that their Impedance and Sensitivity levels do not require AMP/DAC. However, considering my battery on my phone/ipod may not be enough to sustain the headphones for some time, I thought I might require an AMP. Additionally, considering the type of music I listen to I sometimes use higher quality formats (FLAC etc.) so I also thought that I might require a DAC.

I am aware that I didn't mention about a price range, it's not a lot (I cant do around $500), and more importantly I saw that as the price increases the headphones you can buy turn into open-back ones.

These are my thoughts only, I am not an expert, otherwise I wouldn't ask you guys :)))

Please help me figure out this issue,
Many thanks in advance!!!

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 20
Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 Ohm = $160
FiiO E10K Olympus 2 as an amp/dac = $80

Great entry level audiophile set, will fit very well for the music you listen. Really hard to get anything better as the price/performance goes.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 20

Great entry level audiophile set, will fit very well for the music you listen. Really hard to get anything better as the price/performance goes.

Ahhh I forgot to include DT 770's in my first post

Couple of questions here (trying to learn);
Why 250 ohm, not 80 or 32?
May I use them in office?
Are these headphones better than ath m50x or hd 598 cs? If yes, how?
May I use them outside (phone/ipod, travel, sports etc.)?
Do I '''always''' require this E10K to use this headphone, may I use it without it (knowing that it wont be as effective)?
Will this amp/dac be enough for this headphone? I've just checked the web some sources say it may not.
The recommended impedance for E10K is between 16-150 ohms, but the headphones will be 250 ohms?

on Amazon it does not say Olympus 2 it only says E10K;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LP3AMC2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
is this the one?

Many thanks!!!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 20

Agreed! Forget the 598, they don't have good bass for the types of music you like.

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 20
Ahhh I forgot to include DT 770's in my first post

Couple of questions here (trying to learn);
Why 250 ohm, not 80 or 32?
May I use them in office?
Are these headphones better than ath m50x or hd 598 cs? If yes, how?
May I use them outside (phone/ipod, travel, sports etc.)?
Do I '''always''' require this E10K to use this headphone, may I use it without it (knowing that it wont be as effective)?
Will this amp/dac be enough for this headphone? I've just checked the web some sources say it may not.
The recommended impedance for E10K is between 16-150 ohms, but the headphones will be 250 ohms?

on Amazon it does not say Olympus 2 it only says E10K;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LP3AMC2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
is this the one?

Many thanks!!!
Olympus 2 is the other name of FiiO E10K.
People have reported that the 250 ohm version does sound a tiny bit better in bass and treble, but the differences are very subtle. FiiO E10K will be enough to power the 250 ohm version, but if you intend to listen "on the go" from an iPhone, you could consider the 80 or 32 ohm version. When it comes to DT 770 vs m50x, the Beyerdynamics are slightly better in terms of sound quality. Both have V-shaped sound signature. m50x are more convenient for portable use, since DT770s don't fold. But still I would pick the DT770 due to better sound and comfort. Sure you can use them outside, but I don't recommend using over-ear headphones when doing sport activity. They are too heavy, can fall of the head and gather sweat. In-Ear or small on-ear (like PortaPro or PX-100) would work much better for this.

Depending what version you pick, no. The 250 ohm version plugged to E10k would probably sound best. But of course you can "drive" the 32 ohm or 80 ohm version from iPhone just fine!

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 20
For EDM/ Trance/Techo, these are my personal preferred cans

1. Abyss Phi
2. Focal Elears
3. JVC SZ2000/Fostex TH900
4. LCD2/3

I prioritize bass slam, dynamism for such genres.

If your budget is under 500, you can try the JVCsz2000. It doesn't have the dynamism of the other cans in the list and does sound veiled... but the bass slam in these cans will blow your brains.

It's a super fun headphone and does v well with such genres. And it doesn't require an amp. Just EQ the treble and you'll have a bass monster without the veiled highs

And the HD598 is most definitely not a good can for edm trance.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 20
Olympus 2 is the other name of FiiO E10K.
People have reported that the 250 ohm version does sound a tiny bit better in bass and treble, but the differences are very subtle. FiiO E10K will be enough to power the 250 ohm version, but if you intend to listen "on the go" from an iPhone, you could consider the 80 or 32 ohm version. When it comes to DT 770 vs m50x, the Beyerdynamics are slightly better in terms of sound quality. Both have V-shaped sound signature. m50x are more convenient for portable use, since DT770s don't fold. But still I would pick the DT770 due to better sound and comfort. Sure you can use them outside, but I don't recommend using over-ear headphones when doing sport activity. They are too heavy, can fall of the head and gather sweat. In-Ear or small on-ear (like PortaPro or PX-100) would work much better for this.

Depending what version you pick, no. The 250 ohm version plugged to E10k would probably sound best. But of course you can "drive" the 32 ohm or 80 ohm version from iPhone just fine!

May I use them in office? (in terms of sound leak)
What I meant by outside was 'on the go' (travel, going to work, etc.) with an iPhone. May I just plug them to my iPhone and listen, or will I always require E10K to use this headphone even with an iPhone (considering 250 ohm)?
May I connect E10K to iPhone as well?

Thank you for your invaluable help!

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 20
Decided on buying:
1) DT 770 Pro
2) E10K (or something else???, see below)

However, couldn't decide whether to go with 32 ohms or 250 ohms version.

Just to remind, I want to use them with my laptop and on the go with my iphone/ipod. So from what I read it seems like my iphone/ipod cannot accept the high power draw from E10K. If I decide to go with 250 ohms version I will require a DAC/AMP with a battery (not E10K) for mobile usage.

What do you think about E07K???
OR
Should I simply go with 32 ohms version (and buy E10K for laptop usage), which I can drive without DAC/AMP with my iphone/ipod)???

I am very new to this stuff, so please help me.

Appreciate!!!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 20
The iPhone 6 and up are pretty powerful. They should be able to power the 250ohm but you may want to go for the 32ohm just for great efficiency. It will sound better out of your portable. It may not be the best DT770 in absolute terms but given portability and office use it probably is the best choice.

You mentioned you are a Sennheiser fan? Well if you ever come across an old HD250 in good condition and for cheap, pick it up. They need serious power (there is a 300ohm and 600ohm version) but they are among the best closed headphones I've tried as far as balance goes. They are stellar with classical and electronic.

Also Senn has the HD630vb which won't get too much love around here but you may want to check it out.

the HD25 1-II is an awesome classic and is even better as a portable. There is a reason DJs worldwide still use this headphone. More than ergonomics, it has the sound.

Other recommendations - Denon AH-D2000 glorious for anything electronic. I rank them above the DT770 just for their special sound.

Denon AH-D600 a newer but maligned version of the D2000, is actually a bit of sleeper and really good with EDM

Sony MDR-7550 this is an iem but keep it on your to get list. They are incredible for trance music. Their bass is among the best in any class. On head-if they are among the top of best bass headphones (more on a quantity level, but good quality as well. They are by default neutra but can be EQd to have more bass). Their Japanese version. Is the EX800st

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 20
The iPhone 6 and up are pretty powerful. They should be able to power the 250ohm but you may want to go for the 32ohm just for great efficiency. It will sound better out of your portable. It may not be the best DT770 in absolute terms but given portability and office use it probably is the best choice.

You mentioned you are a Sennheiser fan? Well if you ever come across an old HD250 in good condition and for cheap, pick it up. They need serious power (there is a 300ohm and 600ohm version) but they are among the best closed headphones I've tried as far as balance goes. They are stellar with classical and electronic.

Also Senn has the HD630vb which won't get too much love around here but you may want to check it out.

the HD25 1-II is an awesome classic and is even better as a portable. There is a reason DJs worldwide still use this headphone. More than ergonomics, it has the sound.

Other recommendations - Denon AH-D2000 glorious for anything electronic. I rank them above the DT770 just for their special sound.

Denon AH-D600 a newer but maligned version of the D2000, is actually a bit of sleeper and really good with EDM

Sony MDR-7550 this is an iem but keep it on your to get list. They are incredible for trance music. Their bass is among the best in any class. On head-if they are among the top of best bass headphones (more on a quantity level, but good quality as well. They are by default neutra but can be EQd to have more bass). Their Japanese version. Is the EX800st

Thx for the reply. What would you say if I want to go with DT 770 250 ohms over 32 ohms, bec. many sources on the web agree with you that they are better than 32 ohms version. But here is the deal, for 250 ohms I will buy E10K (already decided), but I see that without a Portable AMP I will not be able to run them at optimum efficiency while mobile :frowning2:((

What would you suggest???

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #12 of 20
Thx for the reply. What would you say if I want to go with DT 770 250 ohms over 32 ohms, bec. many sources on the web agree with you that they are better than 32 ohms version. But here is the deal, for 250 ohms I will buy E10K (already decided), but I see that without a Portable AMP I will not be able to run them at optimum efficiency while mobile :frowning2:((

What would you suggest???

Yes, while you may not be able to run them at optimum efficiency, you'll still be able to use them. Better to have great sound at your office, where you can use your desktop amp. Try it out, worst case, is you end up getting a separate DAP (digital audio player) that has a built-in headphone amp that is more powerful than your iPhone. Bonus in that situation is your aren't running down your cell phones batteries.

Or consider getting the E17K - which is a portable amp + dac to use with your iphone and your desktop PC.

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 20
For the phone you could strap the FiiO Q1 or E17K to it and also use it with your computer (similar devices, but older: Teac HA-P50, Onkyo HA-200). These may be fairly bulky and undesirable, but the E10 is shaped to sit on a desk (like Schiit Fulla 2) and doesn't have a battery.

Monitor headphones in general I've found to be good with electronic music. I like the DT 1350 which is said to be like the HD25 somewhat (by Sennheiser), both of which are "DJ headphones" and appropriate for trance, though the Beyer is probably more suited toward classical, less fun... I'm sure the 770 is a good choice too.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #14 of 20
Yes, while you may not be able to run them at optimum efficiency, you'll still be able to use them. Better to have great sound at your office, where you can use your desktop amp. Try it out, worst case, is you end up getting a separate DAP (digital audio player) that has a built-in headphone amp that is more powerful than your iPhone. Bonus in that situation is your aren't running down your cell phones batteries.

Or consider getting the E17K - which is a portable amp + dac to use with your iphone and your desktop PC.

250 ohms + E17K combo sounds interesting though... How would E17K compare to E10K for desktop use only??? I mean I know that E17K is a really good product for mobile, but since I am looking for a product which can give me optimum effectiveness with both applications. I just want to get a product that I can connect with my laptop at office and get the same effectiveness as E10K, but this product also needs to be portable that I can plug to my iphone/ipod to get a quality music listening experience while mobile.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #15 of 20
For the phone you could strap the FiiO Q1 or E17K to it and also use it with your computer (similar devices, but older: Teac HA-P50, Onkyo HA-200). These may be fairly bulky and undesirable, but the E10 is shaped to sit on a desk (like Schiit Fulla 2) and doesn't have a battery.

Monitor headphones in general I've found to be good with electronic music. I like the DT 1350 which is said to be like the HD25 somewhat (by Sennheiser), both of which are "DJ headphones" and appropriate for trance, though the Beyer is probably more suited toward classical, less fun... I'm sure the 770 is a good choice too.

250 ohms + E17K combo sounds interesting though... How would E17K compare to E10K for desktop use only??? I mean I know that E17K is a really good product for mobile, but since I am looking for a product which can give me optimum effectiveness with both applications. I just want to get a product that I can connect with my laptop at office and get the same effectiveness as E10K, but this product also needs to be portable that I can plug to my iphone/ipod to get a quality music listening experience while mobile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back