headphone amp connection
Jun 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Nickcope

New Head-Fier

[size=medium]
Hi
I'm considering buying my first headphone amp (possibly a Graham Slee) and was just a little confused how I connect it up to my integrated amp. 
There are two pre-outs on the integrated amp as well a tape output. I assume it must connect from either of those with a standard interconnect? Or maybe it'll connect directly from the CD player?
The headphone amp does have RCA inputs and outputs.
Hoping someone can shed light please! Thank you.

[/size]

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 3
If you have an integrated amp, you'll probably want to connect the tape loop to your headphone amp. The other outputs might serve as a preamp out - adding some gain to the output. You don't want that because the typical headphone amp already has the equivalent of a preamp built in. The tape loop shouldn't provide any gain, so that's the one you want. I use the tape loop out on my Conrad-Johnson preamp and it works very well. I especially like that I can use it to cut between headphone amps and the power amp for the speakers.

Also, you can connect a CD player directly to your headphone amp. It should work fine. However, I'd recommend connecting the CD player to the integrated and your headphone amp to the tape loop. That way, you can use the integrated to switch between several sources going to your headphone amp. Otherwise, you'd have to unplug the CD player to plug in a FM tuner, turntable, etc. and also have to plug the CD player back into the integrated if you want to use it to power speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back