Headphone advice needed!
Jun 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

myates263

New Head-Fier
Hi, I need some advice on some headphones and this looks like a friendly and knowledgeable corner of the internet.

I'd like some quality headphones to wear on the bus and when commuting, and I really love the look of Grado headphones and I know they're supposed to be some of the best available. The thing is the open back design sounds like it leaks quite a lot of sound, which isn't really okay for public transport. I know most people don't care about annoying others, but I have pretty terrible (to me, amazing) taste in music and would like to be respectful of others.

I also have mild tinnitus, so I'll only use noise isolating headphones so I can keep the volume down. Commuting for a couple of years with rubbish iPod headphones on high volume to drown out street noise is what has skrewed up my hearing at 23. Sigh.

My budget is less than £100, can anyone recommend some good, noise isolating and attractive head gear? (Am I asking too much?)

Cheers dudes

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 15
Welcome to the site.

I am an IEM kinda Guy, But this will put you back to the top of the heap.

Cheers, Jim

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 15
Hi guys, I use noise isolating IEMs at the moment, and they're okay but I don't have the best experience with them so I was exploring the world of over-ear headphones to see what's available.

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 15
The problem with over the ear isolating headphones is that they will make your ears overheat. This is especially true in the hot weather. They may be good in the freezing weather though instead of earmuffs. Some isolating over the ear headphones also are uncomfortable due to excessive clamping force. Imo a good isolating IEM is the best thing to use while commuting.

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 15
Shure SRH440 with a HD600 headband pad, great isolation for a full size.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 15
Hmm...seems like I *was* asking too much for a pair of noise isolating over-ear headphones.*shrugs*

Thanks anyway guys. I'm currently rockin' a pair of Creative EP-630 ECO noise isolating IEMs, and they're probably the best I've had. I did have a couple of pairs of A-Jays but they kept going in one ear - which I was annoyed about because the flat non-tangle wire was awesome.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #8 of 15
Well, there are closed ear phones that would work. ATH-m50s come to mind, as well as some sennheiser models.

Not all IEMs isolate with the same effectiveness, however i think it's safe to say that there are quite a few IEMs that isolate better than the majority of full size headphones.

As a fellow tinnitus sufferer, I'd advise you audition some grados in the future before you buy them. The grado sound is very sparkly, high, and extended. I had to sell mine because they would aggravate my tinnitus to a painful degree.
YMMV, not all ears are the same.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 15
Tinnitus is bloody rubbish isn't it. Thanks for the advice though.

What are your guys' opinion of ThinkSound IEMs? They're pretty pricey but have terribly good reviews...(mostly)

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Did you not even see my recommendation?

Quote:
I have always liked westones.. Very comfy. And sounds good

biggrin.gif

Jokes aside, I don't think there are many good sounding noise cancelling headphones out there. Especially under a hundred pounds.
Heck, I didn't like the Bose Quite Comforts... and they are some couple hundred dollars I think? Still has great isolation.

If you don't mind in-ears, how about something from Etymotic Research?
The ER-4PTs, for example, have broadband isolation of -43db.. which is better than most foam earplugs (about -25db?).
But if you already like Westone's offerings, I don't see why you can go wrong with them.

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Well, there are closed ear phones that would work. ATH-m50s come to mind, as well as some sennheiser models.

Not all IEMs isolate with the same effectiveness, however i think it's safe to say that there are quite a few IEMs that isolate better than the majority of full size headphones.

As a fellow tinnitus sufferer, I'd advise you audition some grados in the future before you buy them. The grado sound is very sparkly, high, and extended. I had to sell mine because they would aggravate my tinnitus to a painful degree.
YMMV, not all ears are the same.

As dnullify said.. the m50's come to mind... I love them for when im on the train commuting to work. They fold up as well so they can be easily thrown in a bag, really durable headphones.. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

As dnullify said.. the m50's come to mind... I love them for when im on the train commuting to work. They fold up as well so they can be easily thrown in a bag, really durable headphones.. 

Unless your (60lb 6m/o) puppy gets ahold of them. Luckily enough Audio Technica does sell the OEM cable for very cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back