Headphone advice! Mainly for Gaming/Music.
Dec 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kayon

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700s after hearing everyone rave about how great they were.  While they were an upgrade over my very below average headset, I'm somewhat dissapointed after them being hyped so much.  I am currently using onboard sound, so that may be the issue.  My Mobo is a Biostar H61MGC.  I've been contemplating returning these headphones are maybe spending a bit more on a different headphone.  The few I've looked into so far are the Sennheiser PC350/360s.  I have very minimal knowledge when it comes to headphones/headsets so I'm seeking some advice! 

I'm looking to spend no more than $200, I guess the audio technica's appeal because they only cost around $100 which leaves me wiggle room to by a soundcard.  Any other suggestions on some headphones in my price range would be appreciated!  Or would my best bet be getting a sound card and sticking with the technicas?

Any help would be appreciated!

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
I recently purchased a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700s after hearing everyone rave about how great they were.  While they were an upgrade over my very below average headset, I'm somewhat dissapointed after them being hyped so much.  I am currently using onboard sound, so that may be the issue.  My Mobo is a Biostar H61MGC.  I've been contemplating returning these headphones are maybe spending a bit more on a different headphone.  The few I've looked into so far are the Sennheiser PC350/360s.  I have very minimal knowledge when it comes to headphones/headsets so I'm seeking some advice! 

I'm looking to spend no more than $200, I guess the audio Technica's appeal because they only cost around $100 which leaves me wiggle room to by a sound card.  Any other suggestions on some headphones in my price range would be appreciated!  Or would my best bet be getting a sound card and sticking with the Technicas?

I never use my ATH-AD700s anymore because of the light bass, I would recommend returning them.

Sennheiser HD558s open headphones will some times sell used between $115 to $150.
Gemini HSR-1000 closed headphones will sell for around $88
Add-on mics start at around $10.

Asus Xonar DG ($25, PCI) & DGX ($40, PCI-E) sound cards are a great value.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 4
Well are you looking for a headset or an actual headphone that gives good 360 sound awareness with good musical qualities as well? In my experience, there isnt a headphone out there that does both. I can't recommend the HD 598 enough if your preference is the latter. For price/performance ratio (as far as audio goes) its really hard to beat. It has a wonderful soundstage that can give you that full 360 degree awareness needed in many FPS. If you would like to FEEL the action and feel when an explosion is close by, I know the D2000's are a great budget choice as well. As for me, I'm a gamer and a music addict, so I get where you're coming from. Personally, I would focus on getting some ideal headphones, since those are much harder to get and find. You can always get a desktop mic that doesn't need to be worn on your head and you can get the best of both worlds. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Well are you looking for a headset or an actual headphone that gives good 360 sound awareness with good musical qualities as well? In my experience, there isnt a headphone out there that does both. I can't recommend the HD 598 enough if your preference is the latter. For price/performance ratio (as far as audio goes) its really hard to beat. It has a wonderful soundstage that can give you that full 360 degree awareness needed in many FPS. If you would like to FEEL the action and feel when an explosion is close by, I know the D2000's are a great budget choice as well. As for me, I'm a gamer and a music addict, so I get where you're coming from. Personally, I would focus on getting some ideal headphones, since those are much harder to get and find. You can always get a desktop mic that doesn't need to be worn on your head and you can get the best of both worlds. 

Yea I've been looking into the HD598s as well, very intrigued and considering buying them.  I already have a zalman clip on mic so I'll be good to go.  Would a sound card be pretty much mandatory to get the best out of them?  Or do you think plugging them into my onboard sound will be sufficient?  I've honestly never used a sound card, so I'm unaware as to how much of a difference they really can make.  If so what type of card would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back