Headphone Adivce for a Metal Listener
Aug 31, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #16 of 35
Only advice I can chime in with is not to listen to the people who tell you metal doesn't benefit from great equipment.

I use 701's, and I love them for the soundstage, the separation, the speed, the impact.

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #17 of 35
Why are people recommending AKGs? you can't get any worse metal cans then those bassless, transparent offerings from AKG. Personally I think the D2000 is the best choice at that price range.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #18 of 35
@ scytheavatar:
but have you try it before ? you should try comparing em to Denon D2000 with Pantera or Slipknot, listen very carefully then you should know which one are more capable for metalhead...just my opinion !
popcorn.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by leimpulse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to alot of Metal style music and I was wondering what kind of headphones would suit me. I'm looking at roughly a 200 dollar budget, most bang for the buck is appreciated.

Yuin OK2. It is the most bang for the buck indeed - no amp is necessary, and you may have it anywhere, unlike full-sized cans. Playing metal, it yields only to Grado while beats D2000 and Beyers 770/990/880.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ scytheavatar:
but have you try it before ? you should try comparing em to Denon D2000 with Pantera or Slipknot, listen very carefully then you should know which one are more capable for metalhead...just my opinion !
popcorn.gif

Well, my opinion is that a certain amount of bass quantity is necessary for a good metal can, and the K501 just don't cut it. The guitars sound great in them but the lack of bass is a huge turn-off.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #21 of 35
Grado 225 or 325i (my favourite). Can't think of anything that I'd rather listen to metal with. When I was a teenager, I'd have said Koss Pro4AA. Hmmmmmm....I still have my pair 35 years later...might be metal time. Deep Purple, Metallica, Celtic Frost, Led Zep....gotta go listen.

Cheers!

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my opinion is that a certain amount of bass quantity is necessary for a good metal can, and the K501 just don't cut it. The guitars sound great in them but the lack of bass is a huge turn-off.

X2. On some metal, the K501 really do sound very good, but then there are some metal where K501 just do not work at all. I would NOT buy K501 for metal. I would say that all cans I've had (DT990, MS2i, DT880, HD650, HD600, RS1, AD2000) are overall better for metal than K501. As scytheavatar wrote, it's their lean bass which limits their usefulness for metal for me.

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X2. On some metal, the K501 really do sound very good, but then there are some metal where K501 just do not work at all. I would NOT buy K501 for metal. I would say that all cans I've had (DT990, MS2i, DT880, HD650, HD600, RS1, AD2000) are overall better for metal than K501. As scytheavatar wrote, it's their lean bass which limits their usefulness for metal for me.

but have you both (scytheavatar & Henmyr) test to listening carefully to Pantera and Slipknot, then compare to other cans by yourself ? or it just base on what you've read or your personal opinion ?
FYI i'm using Ultrasone's before, that well known had fast and tight bass...compare to K501 (mine are the latest version, known as bass heavy), the doublepedals-kick-drum heard overload on Ultrasone's, but it sound flawless on my K501...
i've heard Denon D5000, Beyer DT880'03/DT990, Senn HD650/HD600 too, so i guess i know what it's like on your suggested cans...well, that just my personal opinion...
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

but have you both (scytheavatar & Henmyr) test to listening carefully to Pantera and Slipknot, then compare to other cans by yourself ? or it just base on what you've read or your personal opinion ?
FYI i'm using Ultrasone's before, that well known had fast and tight bass...compare to K501 (mine are the latest version, known as bass heavy), the doublepedals-kick-drum heard overload on Ultrasone's, but it sound flawless on my K501...
i've heard Denon D5000, Beyer DT880'03/DT990, Senn HD650/HD600 too, so i guess i know what it's like on your suggested cans...well, that just my personal opinion...
wink.gif

Yes, I have tried it myself. I have the K501, though I have version 1, which is not the supposed bass heavy version. I can't speak for the bass heavy version.

My version does have a fast and tight bass, but not very much of it.

I guess what it comes down to is that I like a bit more bass quantity than you, though not basshead quantity.

The only headphone I've heard so far which had a bass overload was the HD650 with my rig.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #26 of 35
I'd like a bit more visible bass on the 701, but I find it only a little lacking (and I suspect most of that will be cured once I get my CD player back from the repairer, which does have a greater bass extension than my DVD player). But for clean, impactful bass, the AKG's are stunning. I love their signature with kick drums. It's always clean, always tight, never the slighest bit boomy or mushy. And it kicks me in the side of the head.

Ultimately it comes down to preference of presentation, but I love what the AKG's do.

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

wink.gif

Firstly, Pantera and Slipknot is bad music so I wouldn't listen to them even if you point a gun at me (and I would argue that Slipknot is barely metal, cause I belong to the nu-metal-is-not-metal camp). That's a different topic anyway. My friend has a K501 and I listened to them now and then, and never had I though that they are good metal cans. It's down to personal perference, some people don't care too much about bass quantity and want to hear every doublepedals-kick-drum without a single bloat. But for me I like my songs with a certain amount of bass weight in my metal songs, and I don't mind a bit of bloat in my songs.

I haven't heard the new K501, so maybe they're different.

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all Grados (except SR125) Beyers and Denons are made for rock/metal
Senns/AKGs made for classical/jazz
simple...

. . . . and you got this information from where??
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #30 of 35
For the price, DEnon 2000's are awesome for metal. Basically it has everything you need for metal: Bass, mids and a not-harsh treble. Also the 770's are good. Overdriven guitar sound more detailed and grungy (in a good way). But I do have an amp for these headphones which toned down the bass and brought up the mids abit. Also the 770s are cleaner sounding imo a little more balanced i suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back