Headphile Sony R10 Style CD3000
May 26, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #76 of 86
I currently own a pair of R10 shaped Quilted Maple CD3Ks. Don't how much the wood enclosures played a roll in sound quality but I do know the recabling made a huge difference.

May 27, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #78 of 86

Quote:
I currently own a pair of R10 shaped Quilted Maple CD3Ks. Don't how much the wood enclosures played a roll in sound quality but I do know the recabling made a huge difference.

Nice - maybe you can post a few pictures.

You say that recabling made a huge difference while the wood enclosures you're not so sure about...

Did you have your CD3K's fitted with wood and only after that you had them recabled?

How do you know that recabling made the biggest difference?

What cable does it have now?

Beside the stock CD3K that I already have and the Headphile CD3K which shoul arrive shortly I also have on the way a CD3K recabled with APure Sound V3 so I guess I'll be able to tell what counts the most :)

May 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #79 of 86
I got the CD3Ks recabled with BlackSilver cables and woodied all at once. Compared to my stock CD3Ks, they have a more detailed sound to them. Bass has more punch and sounded tighter than the stock CD3Ks. The wood enclosures probably does play a role in how they sound, but I don't think they alone would make such a huge difference in what I'm hearing between the two sets.

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #80 of 86

Quote:
The R10 Style CD3000's have been sold... to me :)

They must have arrived or be very close by now,I would be very interested in not just there sound but how they compare with the K1000.

After a week of extensive listening the K1000 is running second to the Headphile CD3000's by a large margin,it is not comparing to well to the stock CD3000's either.

The sooner Sony return there headphone manufacturing back 15 years the better.

Just so that there is no misunderstanding with the K1000's,they are indeed a very very nice phone especially with highs and detail but they lack the punch that the Sony's have,compared they are clinical in there reproduction.

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #81 of 86

Quote:
They must have arrived or be very close by now,I would be very interested in not just there sound but how they compare with the K1000.

After a week of extensive listening the K1000 is running second to the Headphile CD3000's by a large margin,it is not comparing to well to the stock CD3000's either.

The sooner Sony return there headphone manufacturing back 15 years the better.

Just so that there is no misunderstanding with the K1000's,they are indeed a very very nice phone especially with highs and detail but they lack the punch that the Sony's have,compared they are clinical in there reproduction.

Might have to revise that opinion after 3 hours of serious listening (reclining/eyes closed) they really are a wonderful phone.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #82 of 86
But still bright, I guess.

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #84 of 86
I finally managed to pick up the K1000 & Headphile.
I listened to the Headphile only for 30-40 min because the K1000, even when driven by the WA6SE, sounds quite superb.
With high dynamic music one can see the obvious limitations of using a heaphone amplifier with the K1K but otherwise it does a decent job - a good enough job so that one can get an idea of the ear-speaker's potential :)

The Headphile will be properly listned to starting tommorow...

PS: The HD800 and T1 are on loan from a head-fi-er

Jun 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #85 of 86

A fantastic picture,that little lot should keep you occupied for quite some time.The wood on the Headphile's is superb,I hope the sound matches.

I agree that the K1000,s do sound superb but become very sterile with certain genre's.The more I listen to them the more I realise that what they lack is never going to eventuate.

I am fast coming to the conclusion that the R10 is THE phone (even though I have not listened to it) but the price and the availability of spares puts them into the no go catagory.

It will be Very interesting to hear how those phones compare and which you prefer.

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #86 of 86
I finally managed to pick up the K1000 & Headphile.
I listened to the Headphile only for 30-40 min because the K1000, even when driven by the WA6SE, sounds quite superb.
With high dynamic music one can see the obvious limitations of using a heaphone amplifier with the K1K but otherwise it does a decent job - a good enough job so that one can get an idea of the ear-speaker's potential :)

The Headphile will be properly listned to starting tommorow...

PS: The HD800 and T1 are on loan from a head-fi-er

very nice! few questions please if you don't mind answering them at the end of your shoot-out:
-which one gives the sexiest/creamiest mids? and no overblown bass please, I'm a mids-head
very_evil_smiley.gif

-does any of them match the cd3k as far as 3D SS depth/width are concerned?
-does any of them match the cd3k PRaT? It's quite easy to find more "transparent" phones but they're usually boring to death IME
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back