Headphile Sony R10 Style CD3000
Apr 23, 2010 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

CrazyRay

1000+ Head-Fier
headphile Sony R10 Style CD3000

Anyone have an opinion on how these might sound?
I have never tried the CD3000 headphone.
What are they compaired to?

Sony R10 Style CD3000... Zebra with Gaboon Ebony slanted cups, 2.0 meter BlackGold to balanced 4-pin XLR... Single ended adapter of 0.50 meter BlackGold 4-pin XLR to an old school Zebra wood 1/4" plug (included)... Brand new pads, brand new all black headband, COA... If you like sparkly highs & sweet looks, these are for you!

hd2p.jpg

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
R10 it is not.

Exactly.

Not to mention they are crazy overpriced. $1300?! No thanks. I'll take an HD800 or T1 and change instead.

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly.

Not to mention they are crazy overpriced. $1300?! No thanks. I'll take an HD800 or T1 and change instead.

When did you listen to them.

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 86
I've not yet heard the CD3000, although if there is a set floating at Canjam I would be curious to try them. I have heard the R10s a few times and have read the contradicting reports concerning the nature of CD3000 drivers and R10 drivers. (people trying to sell CD3000 for a pile of cash will claim that they use the R10 drivers in a lesser chassis). This is NOT TRUE. R10 and CD3000 drivers are not the same.

Sometimes Larry comes up with stuff which looks odd. Sometimes he comes up with stuff which looks astonishly lovely. Reports on the sound are less concrete. I've read some highly condemnational opinions of his designs using the Joe Grado HP1K drivers or the AKG K1000 drivers for example.

Taking an R10 twist on the CD3000 though seems far more suitable to the fundmental character for which the transducer is designed and while $1300 is steep (and the headphones shown seem not to be closed back like the R10 is), I have no doubt these will sell.

They look lovely, and I'm curious to how they might sound, but their cost comes as much from their unique status as from their base pedigree and there are enough R10/CD3000 fans around to ensure that they will not go unsold.

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 86
Interesting. Look very nice except for that random black cirlce on the cups. I still hope I can listen to a CD3000 stock some day though
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 86
I had a pair of CD3000's soldem to help finance my speakers, I liked them more than the HD650's or the 600's They were not bright at all (IMO) but were very clear, they were pretty neutral, everything was up front, nothing was recessed (again with my equipment, ears), the soundstage was on the limited side however. I listened to them for hours (12+) on end lounging around the house. I do not regret selling them however, the speakers are quite epic.
I paid $350, sold em for $550 5 years later (still had the original cardboard shipping box, and threw in a new set of earpads)
I first saw them in elementary school, when $700 for phones was unimaginable (I said someday, they would be mine), but after I graduated high school, I ran into this guy who works for Sony, and he let me use his employee discount, and I bought them for $350

Those CD 3000's look wrong... If memory serves the stock CD3000's earcups had vegetable fibers integrated into them, weird.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 86
Duggeh;6582261 said:
I have heard the R10s a few times and have read the contradicting reports concerning the nature of CD3000 drivers and R10 drivers. (people trying to sell CD3000 for a pile of cash will claim that they use the R10 drivers in a lesser chassis). This is NOT TRUE. R10 and CD3000 drivers are not the same.
QUOTE]

FWIW, from what I heard quite a while ago, the R-10 and CD3000 (and CD1000) used the "same" drivers but the R-10 got the best selected and matched units. And I believe there were different replacement part numbers for them. But I certainly can't confirm that, so take it with a grain of salt.

I do have a pair of CD3000 and had a couple of reasonably long term loans of R-10 (but quite a while ago). I like the CD3000 quite a bit, but don't think they are R-10 which are superior. But the CD3000 does have something of a family resemblance. So if you like the R-10 sound and can't afford or find R-10, the CD-3000 strikes me as a reasonable alternative.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #11 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, from what I heard quite a while ago, the R-10 and CD3000 (and CD1000) used the "same" drivers but the R-10 got the best selected and matched units.

They don't share the same drivers. Their impedance is completely different. It was confirmed quite a long time ago.

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 86
The stock CD3000 has its unique and huge cave-like soundscape, a pronounced kickbass, a very good resolution and a special kind of musicality that is hard to describe. Apart from that, it's nothing special, the highs are over-prominent, the mids have a strange recessed dip somewhere, and deep bass is totally absent. I doubt that Larry was able to cure all those issues.

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #13 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock CD3000 has its unique and huge cave-like soundscape, a pronounced kickbass, a very good resolution and a special kind of musicality that is hard to describe. Apart from that, it's nothing special, the highs are over-prominent, the mids have a strange recessed dip somewhere, and deep bass is totally absent. I doubt that Larry was able to cure all those issues.

thing is, some ppl are really not looking for deep bass on headphones and are more looking for very clear mids...my cd1k(same drivers as the cd3k) can go down to 20Hz in LFE tests, but it's not DT770-like...after some careful cups modding the bass is very tight, aerial and highly impactful but the general signature is nowhere near V-shaped.

this said, the cups would have to be a copycat of the R10 to justify this price IMHO...and not some weird looking color w/ a huge random black patch in the middle haha, who would buy this "thing" over a T1? a fool. I also like how its price went +$100 after a few days, like noone noticed
biggrin.gif

I'd love to try another closed phone <$600, but I can't find any that has the same PRaT/musicality/resolution/huge 3D SS...ah well
popcorn.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #14 of 86
GOtta be honest, I don't like any of the headphile stuff. Larry's approach seems to be "got a problem? throw some wood at it! still got a problem? more wood!" All of them are just extremely ugly in my eyes, no sense of balance/space/shape in the designs. I'm also extremely skeptical that they sound any better than stock. Different, maybe, but not better...

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #15 of 86
Plain wood would have suited them better,more like his first iteration of the R10 cup.

As to the sound well I have my Headphile CD3000's on now and they punch well past the stock,and yes I have owned both at the same time.

Far to many step in without any idea at all as to there sound,and as to there cost well I would prefer to have them than a certain flagship phone that is around the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back