headfive OR LD II+ with NEW dt990s
Sep 23, 2006 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Gubretti

100+ Head-Fier
so what shall it be the headfive OR LD II+ with NEW dt990s.?
blink.gif

Sep 23, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 42
I cant give you any on the head five, but I can tell you that I have verry little unkind to say about my LD and I could go on for a few hours about what I like.
Im not sure ow the DTs would fare with it, but all my cans sound great on it.
-greg

Sep 24, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 42
ahhh its true, the dark side looks appealing, the only thing im hesitant of is the maintenance that comes with a tube amp. Seems more costly than the headfive over time and I know I will break at least one tube. Where can you get replacements anyhow? Other than little-tube itself, cuz thats 38 bucks for the replacement set!!!

Also the thing about you cant always flip it on and off, im a college student come on!!! im always on the move
smily_headphones1.gif
, then again the sweet sweet tubes. helpp meeeee lol

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gubretti
ahhh its true, the dark side looks appealing, the only thing im hesitant of is the maintenance that comes with a tube amp. Seems more costly than the headfive over time and I know I will break at least one tube. Where can you get replacements anyhow? Other than little-tube itself, cuz thats 38 bucks for the replacement set!!!

Also the thing about you cant always flip it on and off, im a college student come on!!! im always on the move
smily_headphones1.gif
, then again the sweet sweet tubes. helpp meeeee lol

Ok if you read through this thread You can see that if it happens to "break" too soon, then you can ask to have the tubes replaced. Their customer service is excellent and after my incident Mr Yang explains to everyone that there is better tube testing and quality assurance etc..Unless you turn it on an off all the time, they should last thousands of hours. I think theres a thread on tube care, which is just common sense, as you wouldnt knock around a ss amp either. The only two differences IMO is that tubes tend to get "warm" and they shouldnt be repeatedly turned on and off. Just turn it on, and if you go eat or something or go across the hall then leave it on..only turn if off if you are leaving for like six hours.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 42
man the LD must rock no one even said headfive =D. As soon as my friend comes out from the university to get my old 990s ill get the new amp. For the LD's tubes do I need to upgrade any, if so or if not, where do I get more tubes if there is a place to get them cheaper than little-tube.

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gubretti
man the LD must rock no one even said headfive =D. As soon as my friend comes out from the university to get my old 990s ill get the new amp. For the LD's tubes do I need to upgrade any, if so or if not, where do I get more tubes if there is a place to get them cheaper than little-tube.

Well its only expensive because of the shipping from china. Ive seen tube sites where the mullards are like 7 bucks tops for one. Most are around 4 bucks each tube. There are other tubes you can switch the drivers for ,

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1
RE: Tube rolling: Mr. Yang has confirmed the CV131 as being equivalent to the EF92. This is the only one he has tested extensively, but other tubes that should be directly swappable include the 6065, U/S 6CQ6, Brimar 9D6, CV131, V884, VP6, W77, and the M8161 which is a high quality version of the EF92. Some of these are fairly difficult to acquire in China so they have not been fully tested and guranteed to work, but that being said, they should all theoretically work

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 42
I use my LDII+ with my Beyer DT770's, and they sound great, so I can't imagine it is too bad with the 990's.

Sep 24, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 42
Just to let you know. My tubes started to arch, and I didn't want my headphones damaged so I stopped using them. I contacted little tube and told them about my problem. They shipped new tubes out the next day and they got to my house in 4 days. They came from China, and I live in New Jersey. That's fast.

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
my favourite setup of all time was my DT990 + LD2 w/Telefunkens. Sheer aural bliss I say!

got a link to the diff tubes?
-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back