Headfi adverts?
Sep 18, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #31 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're kidding right? Audiophiles don't succumb to advertising? ROFL

I never have.

Like I said, you're a fool to spend $1000 just due to an advert. Also they're in a crazy place, are you more likely to buy K701s due to an advert or putting 'K701' in search?

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #32 of 99
And the word was........ 'Contribute'.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #33 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never have.

Like I said, you're a fool to spend $1000 just due to an advert. Also they're in a crazy place, are you more likely to buy K701s due to an advert or putting 'K701' in search?

I'd say in a thread where k701s are being discussed, and the ad shows up, you're at least more likely to use the advertising vendor than you would have been otherwise. But again, pretending that audiophiles are immune to advertising is just silly.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #34 of 99
Quote:

I'd say in a thread where k701s are being discussed, and the ad shows up, you're at least more likely to use the advertising vendor than you would have been otherwise. But again, pretending that audiophiles are immune to advertising is just silly.

The headphones in the adverts are all relatively expensive. No-one (no-one sane that is) throws down that kind of cash without some kind of search (for a better price or more shipping options etc). Navigating away from the advert means no moolah for Head-Fi, even if that particular store is the best (who would come back to the advert to click the link just so Head-Fi get the commission?). Other ad bars have small price comparisons in the ad bar itself, so it at least feels like you're getting a good deal.

EK

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #36 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphones in the adverts are all relatively expensive. No-one (no-one sane that is) throws down that kind of cash without some kind of search (for a better price or more shipping options etc). Navigating away from the advert means no moolah for Head-Fi, even if that particular store is the best (who would come back to the advert to click the link just so Head-Fi get the commission?). Other ad bars have small price comparisons in the ad bar itself, so it at least feels like you're getting a good deal.

EK

Unless Head-Fi is payed CPI (cost per impression), in which case it doesn't matter whether or not you click on it as long as you look at a page that contains the ad.

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #37 of 99
Quote:

But again, pretending that audiophiles are immune to advertising is just silly.

I never said they were immune, but maybe more toughened.

evilking agrees, you're mad, as mad as P82 if you pull the trigger on expensive cans with no research.

Actually I buy headphones from select vendors, not from links on here.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #38 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cough up some bucks to become a contributor, or deal with the ads, or get the heck out. No such thing as a free lunch!

Head-fi is a great site, and sure can't be cheap to run (and run so smoothly with so many members using it at one time, to boot!).

--Chris

X2, the income to run this site has to come from someone else if all the users (head-Fiers) don't contribute.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #39 of 99
Hmm, i don't care about all the ad's in head-fi, because i know that someone has to pay for the bandwidth, and i ain't contributing.

But camouflaging the ad as a reply on the first post every page is just absurd!

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #40 of 99
Being a contributor should have an incentive to do it...more than enhancing PM storage.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #41 of 99
I like the ads, the links to the stores are nice because they have really good prices (at least I think, DT880 for $228).

I feel kind of bad posting this because I'm not a contributor, I would make excuses, they're true, but pretty lame.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #44 of 99
I think spending thousands on audio gear I would never have even heard of before coming here is enough. Now, I know Head-fi doesn't profit from that. But, the manufacturer's should be ECSTATIC to pay for every last expense around here seeing as they reap the benefits.

Just my thoughts. Down with the mid-page ads please! I don't mind the other ones at all.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #45 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With these comments in mind, it is the fact that my comment about contributors possibly meriting a dilution in the ads already established (right hand side of site) irrespective of these new, and frankly crappy, mid page ads which we are seeing mentioned here, was deleted from this thread, that has certainly and immediately cemented my decision not to contribute to this site again. Thats just bad damn form and I am certainly put out by it on both fronts.

I reiterate. Bad from.

I had a post deleted too, but I got a pm from Jude explaining why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back