Headband mod for those sensitive to weight on top of head?
Oct 25, 2014 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tigim101

Head-Fier
On my search for comfortable headphones, it seems that the pressure of the headband is much more bothersome than clamping pressure or anything like that. As long as the cups are soft and somewhat circamaural im ok, but almost any headphone, no matter how light (even the CAL!), I feel pressure from the headband in minutes. It feels like the headband is pressing into my skull, and the top of my head is tender afterwards. Im looking for something for home use, so I don't care how it looks, I use IEMS outside. I was thinking either buying a piece of memory foam and sticking it on, or getting something with a bigger surface area to distribute the force, similar to the pilot pad used on ZMF headphones. http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/zmf-master-model

Anyone have any ideas?

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 8
A lot of people like to use the Sennheiser HD 650 headband cushion when they mod their headphones. It's not only very soft, but it has a perfect shape for weight distribution. It has a recess in the very center, which takes weight off the center of the head, which is the most sensitive part.
You can actually buy it from Sennheiser's website here: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/kp-hd-650. For only $7.55, what could go wrong?

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 8
  A lot of people like to use the Sennheiser HD 650 headband cushion when they mod their headphones. It's not only very soft, but it has a perfect shape for weight distribution. It has a recess in the very center, which takes weight off the center of the head, which is the most sensitive part.
You can actually buy it from Sennheiser's website here: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/kp-hd-650. For only $7.55, what could go wrong?

Tried, True, and Cheap! Thanks, ill try one of these asap. I'm not sure if it comes with adhesive or something? Ill rig it on somehow. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 8
No problem! You can use velcro, double-sided tape, or something similar. Here's a thread that demonstrates the headband being applied to a headphone!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579875/comfort-mod-hd650-headband-padding-on-the-pro-900

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Have you tried suspension headbands?  I know what you're talking about, it's especially annoying when the headbands have bumps in them that decrease the surface area in contact with your head.  The K701 is famous for this and I've found that even the LCD-2 suffers from this problem just as bad.  A solution a bunch of people (myself included) found for the LCD-2 are these Diono Soft Wraps Car Seat Harness Pads.  They're about 1/4 inch thick of memory foam and come with pads.  These completely got rid of the pain caused from the audeze head band.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 8
  Have you tried suspension headbands?  I know what you're talking about, it's especially annoying when the headbands have bumps in them that decrease the surface area in contact with your head.  The K701 is famous for this and I've found that even the LCD-2 suffers from this problem just as bad.  A solution a bunch of people (myself included) found for the LCD-2 are these Diono Soft Wraps Car Seat Harness Pads.  They're about 1/4 inch thick of memory foam and come with pads.  These completely got rid of the pain caused from the audeze head band.

Do you (or anybody else) know if this mod would work well for SRH840s? If anybody who has modded these headphones with one of these "Soft Wraps" could post a picture I would be very grateful. Even a photo of a different pair of headphones modded with this product would be extremely helpful.

EDIT: Actually, I just read that these Soft Wraps are made from 100% polyester. Gross. The search for replacement headband padding for my SRH840s continues.

Mar 12, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 8
I had some cheap sony headphones with a hard plastic headband which had several plastic joints. It was painful on the top of the head.

A lightly inflated thin plastic bag  worked perfectly. When inflated properly, the air seemed to distribute the headphone weight over a large surface area.

I used a Sealed Air brand Fill Air bag which was included in some package I received years ago. Just taped it with scotch tape around the headband. Unfortunately, I think you can't just buy those bags retail.

Alternatively, try a ziploc plastic sandwich bag; cheap and easy to inflate.

If you like the air idea, for longer use it makes sense to put a breathable cushion between the plastic and your head. Maybe cut a small piece of a towel and tape it to the bag?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back