HeadAmp Pico Upsampling USB DAC - Pre-Order Now at intro price
May 28, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #376 of 466
Just received my DAC-Only. Its a thing of beauty, and the packaging bordered on obsessive
biggrin.gif
Thanks Justin.

May 28, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #377 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by eron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, that solves the problem.

However, I still don't have volume control on my macbook pro. I can't adjust the volume through the keyboard. The system triggers, but has no effect on the volume. This is regardless of me using the 3.5mm or RCAs.

I can adjust the volume through the software like iTunes though.

Yeah, the Mac system volume does not control many DAC's out there, including the Pico DAC-only. I didn't talk about the iTunes volume control, but that doesn't help when listening to youtube or other programs.

May 28, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #379 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the Mac system volume does not control many DAC's out there, including the Pico DAC-only. I didn't talk about the iTunes volume control, but that doesn't help when listening to youtube or other programs.

That's kind of disappointing. I was using a Govibe DAC previously and it allowed me to use the system volume.

May 28, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #380 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by eron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's kind of disappointing. I was using a Govibe DAC previously and it allowed me to use the system volume.

Ones that use the USB receiver to do the analog output often tend to let you adjust the volume from the system volume control, while the ones that hand off the spdif to a better DAC chip often don't. Not a hard and fast rule, and I could be wrong.

May 30, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #381 of 466
Im debating this for a semi-portable dac for my laptop. Especially if I get a mini 7-9" netbook.
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #382 of 466
Okay, this is odd.

Since my amp isn't here yet, I decided to start burning in my DAC-Only by plugging it via the line output to my old Pico Amp/DAC's line in via an APuresound mini to mini, so that I'm basically using the DAC of the DAC-Only and the Amp portion of the Amp/DAC, if that makes sense
tongue.gif

And for some reason, I think it sounds better than I remember my Amp/DAC sounding by itself. I haven't bothered to do a proper A/B comparison, relying only on sonic memory, but right now I'm hearing a slightly smoother tone, and perhaps a small increase in resolution.

Is this just my ears playing tricks on me?

May 31, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #383 of 466
^ Must be that apuresound cable...he uses fairy dust wire you know.
tongue.gif

There probably is an improvement with the DAC only Pico but I could not hear it. I was always happy to use my Pico amp/DAC as DAC only > tube amp.

May 31, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #385 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there any hear-able difference between using the RCA outputs and the 3.5mm?

I highly doubt that. Maybe a difference because your cables will have different make up.

This is how I plan to connect:

2803572110044175878S425x425Q85.jpg

errr, when my wallet is well again.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #386 of 466
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Must be that apuresound cable...he uses fairy dust wire you know.
tongue.gif

There probably is an improvement with the DAC only Pico but I could not hear it.

Maybe so. I noticed the difference fairly immediately, even though it was a subtle one. A bit of an enigma!

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #388 of 466
The dac sounds great. Even low bitrate mp3s sound better than what I thought they would. Currently using it with foobar2000 with WASAPI output, and works just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back