HeadAmp Pico Power: Pre-Order Thread
Aug 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #136 of 730
Justin,

I don't own your products because I'm too poor to afford them, but from an engineer's point of view, I really admire your work.

Pure curiosity, how do you deal with the unbalanced 2x 9V batteries causing dc offset issues when they drop low?

Does the amp cut off the batteries when they are too weak to be used?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #137 of 730
Please add me to the pre-order list.

Thanks!

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #138 of 730
Got to hear it yesterday at the meet......wow!  
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #140 of 730
Quick a/b against my regular pico, which is no slouch at all.  The Pico power was more dynamic and transparent sounding with great bass impact. At first i thought it was a bit bright and then realized that it was the detail, then i hit the bass part of the song and got the slam.  I was quite pleased.  That was comparing it to my regular pico which is already transparent and detailed compared to my other portable amps as well as any that i have sat down and listened to at meets.  Must say though i don't go previewing many portable amps at meets, just in passing usually.

My big test will be comparing it to my Lisa lll transportable amp.  That is almost a home amp status so we will see........It could take it though from what i heard.

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #141 of 730
Quote:
Quick a/b against my regular pico, which is no slouch at all.  T

can anyone comment on how it compares to the pico slim (yes, i'm well aware of the differences between them and what they'll drive).

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #147 of 730
Any update Justin??
Quote:
Update!  This new amp is nearly ready to go.  Just need to finalize the circuit board (what's in the pictures is a prototype, and there are changes), and have the enclosures machined.  The enclosures are machined from 3 blocks of USA aluminum, creating a unique set which will then be sanded/polished as 1 block, creating a seamless appearance.  They will then be laser engraved in-house with great detail.

Specs?  All subject to change, as this represents the prototype.

Enclosure - Milled from solid USA aluminum, dimensions about 4 x 2.25 x 0.8"

Design Type - Single Channel Op-Amp with Discrete Output Buffering (hand-matched components)

Power Supply - 2x 9V batteries of any kind, removable battery door on bottom
Reverse Battery Protection - Yes
Power Indicator - 1.8mm Red LED
Max Output Voltage - 14-18V (subject to change)
Max Output Current ~200mA/Ch (subject to change)
3-Way Gain Switch - 1x, 5x, 9x (subject to change)
Volume Control - Alps 9mm rotary, hand selected

Battery Life (subject to change)

Non-Rechargeable Batteries
Lithium Primary - 100 hrs
9V Alkaline - 50 hrs

Rechargeable Batteries
Lithium-Ion 33 to 41 hrs
High Capacity NIMH - 25 hrs
Med Capacity NIMH - 21 hrs
Low Capacity NIMH - 17 hrs

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #150 of 730
Hi Justin... can you add me to the pre-order list. Sounds like it is exactly what I am looking for.

--mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back