Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #317 of 437
  Hi.  I'm looking for a DAC relatively the same size as the Pico Power to go with my setup. (Current setup is an iPod Classic and Pico Power) Any suggestions?

I am using the Fiio X5 as a USB DAC to feed the Pico Power. I am very pleased. That will also upgrade your sound quality from an iPod Classic for portable use. The size matches the Pico Power.

Also consider: Pico Dac and Centrance LX but neither really has the same shape and size as the Pico Power. Maybe the Odac?

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #318 of 437
What would be interesting is combining something like an iMod with the Pico Power. I was using an AK100 for a while (when I was using full-sized headphones in a transportable rig or at meets to try headphones and IEMs with). 

I've finally gotten around to making a video about the Pico Power here too:

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #320 of 437
Received my Pico Power today and used it with my iBasso DX50 and wow what a great pairing.  Tried my K702 with it and the Pico drived them with ease and they sound very good. The Bass  (I know) is thumping and got great layering. Tried my Aurisonic ASG-2 and they also sound very good with the Pico/DX50. Just wanted to share my joy. Happy listening 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #321 of 437
  Received my Pico Power today and used it with my iBasso DX50 and wow what a great pairing.  Tried my K702 with it and the Pico drived them with ease and they sound very good. The Bass  (I know) is thumping and got great layering. Tried my Aurisonic ASG-2 and they also sound very good with the Pico/DX50. Just wanted to share my joy. Happy listening 
darthsmile.gif

I have enjoyed the DX50 - Pico Power combination too. It's very nice.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #323 of 437
Hello everyone!

So I've been reading all the post and still can't decide between the Pico Slim and the Pico Power paired with my AK 120 and JHs 16s.
I do want the ability to drive full size cans down the road and would like this flexibility.

I like the rechargeable battery on the Slim but ok with the 9v batteries on the PP.

Looks like Justin recommends the Slim with IEM but as I mentioned, I want to be able to drive cans.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #324 of 437
  Hello everyone!

So I've been reading all the post and still can't decide between the Pico Slim and the Pico Power paired with my AK 120 and JHs 16s.
I do want the ability to drive full size cans down the road and would like this flexibility.

I like the rechargeable battery on the Slim but ok with the 9v batteries on the PP.

Looks like Justin recommends the Slim with IEM but as I mentioned, I want to be able to drive cans.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I would go with the Pico Power for more versatility.  The slim is very nice for IEMs but will not be able match the Power when driving full size cans.  If portability is the key for you, the Slim maybe a better choice. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #325 of 437
Seconded on the Pico Power here. The Slim isn't designed for full-sized cans. The Pico Power is great with IEMs though.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #326 of 437
the pico slim is a good amp, yet the mids on it kind of laid back compared to the bass/high, not that i am saying is a bad amp, its maybe the best portable amp i had so far,

yet do you guys think the mids on the power is kind of the same? also some people think that the slim is warmer a little, talking about subtle things here, so you guys agree too or? 

mine will be here on sat or sunday :3 

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #327 of 437
Just wondering if you received your Pico Power and if so what your impressions are. I ordered mine over a week ago but other than the order confirmation email I've heard nothing and so far no replies to email. How long from your order time to shipping and/or receipt? Mostly interested on what you think of the amp....let us hear.

Thanks.

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #328 of 437
Just wondering if you received your Pico Power and if so what your impressions are. I ordered mine over a week ago but other than the order confirmation email I've heard nothing and so far no replies to email. How long from your order time to shipping and/or receipt? Mostly interested on what you think of the amp....let us hear.

Thanks.

I picked  mine up from the post office last last week. I pm'd Justin to ask a question about shipping options and he told me he had already shipped it and he gave me the tracking no. I was surprised  because at the time his website said up to 4 weeks and it was shipped within the week:)  You just might have to PM him because it might already be on its way to you.

My impression of it so far is that it is VERY good and I am really happy that I bought it.  I even ordered a Pico Slim this week, so that should say how I feel about the Pico Power:)  I ordered the Power to pair with my Concero HP and Alpha Dogs as I find the HP isn't able to drive the Alpha's to their potential like my BHA-1 does when I am at home.  I find I can now turn my Concero HP's volume to about 70% (through my macbook) and turn the Pico Powers volume to about 60%.  It has really firmed up and added to the bass presence, especially where the bass seemed a little thin with just the Concero.  It has also helped to open up the soundstage. Now I can feel the drivers move a little even though I don't listen at loud levels.  This is on the medium gain setting on the Pico Power.  Now I am extremely happy with this combination for when I am out of town and it doesn't leave me missing my home rig.

I have also used it with my Shure SE846's (which I just received yesterday) on the low gain setting, it is a very black background with no hiss, which is impressive for a powerful portable amp.  I was using the Pico with the 846's more for a finer volume control as on my iPod it is tough to get the precise volume level. So it is a very versatile amp, being able to easily drive the AD's to their potential as well as perform well with a very sensitive 8 ohm impedance iem. If you do use it with iem's turn the power on on the amp before plugging the iem's into it to make sure you don't get a pop sound.

As others have already stated the build quality is top notch, the volume knob is fairly stiff which is a good thing as you don't want the volume moving around if you put it in your pocket.  The jacks are also nice and stiff to plug into, they grip the 3.5mm male ends very well, there is no movement.  The paint and fit and finish is perfect.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #330 of 437
hey guys!! it wasn't the slim!! it was the iUSB all the time!! somehow the Mentor and the iUSB don't get along, when i removed it, all the problems that i was speaking about was gone!! the pico power had the same problem but even worse , thats why i removed the iUSB to test the theory and i was right!!! lol! 

yet the iUSB was always fine with any other setup,  glad that i fixed the problem anyway :3 

time to test the pico power ^^ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back