HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560
Jul 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #811 of 1,464
Originally I was concerned I would be on vacation when the TH600 came my way but if they just now are going to number 3 on the list, and me being sixth, it looks like I'll be ok. I leave next Saturday the 20th till the 26th. Should be no issue.

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #812 of 1,464
How are we coming along with the Fostex demo? Are we keeping them longer this round? Seems like they've in the same spot for almost two weeks.

Thanks,

:evil:

just got the tracking number. should get them before the weekend.

Awesome congrats! More I read about them the more exited I get lol. I don't own nor have I heard the TH900's so it'll be perfect to compare them to my D5000's. I'm expecting smoother cleaner and just overall a better can. Can't wait to compare the two.

Thanks,

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #813 of 1,464
I am stoked to receive the TH600!!  I've had several headphones cross through my doors lately and I still have kept my Fostex T50RP with Shure SRH840 pads.

What is the generally accepted length of time to keep the headphones before shipping them to the next person? 

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #814 of 1,464
So I signed up for the Sennheiser Momentums and here is what I heard.

The Momentums have that signature laid back and warm Sennheiser sound.  They reminded me of the 600s which I haven't heard in a long time but remember as very warm and smooth.  I tried them with my Headroom Micro stack connected to my Sony VAIO laptop via the optical connection.  I also tried them with my Sugden Headmaster amp and that combo didn't work that well.  The Sugden is a more cold and neutral amp and the Momentums sounded a little hollow through it.  They did have a nice bass boost which added a little richness to the sound.  I liked it with Pop, light Rock and Jazz.  It's not a headphone if you're a headbanger.  It just doesn't have the dynamics for that type of music.  Overall a pleasant easy going headphone that's good with certain types of music.  

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #817 of 1,464
i might consider it on an invite-only basis

I'd buy in on that. The only way I'd spend that kind of money is if I could actually audition the phone on my equipment, my music, my environment. As much as I love my D7000's (Lawton modded) if the TH900 is the end game closed quality bass phone it seems to be, I very well might go for it. We shall be waiting patiently.

On another note, is the TH600 really still in position 2?

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #819 of 1,464
Fostex TH 600

First thing's first. THANK YOU JUSTIN for this demo.Seriously the greatest thing ever. I have had the pleasure of trying out high end headphone in the comfort of my home with only shipping to pay. Amazing.

The Fostex looks just like the Denon DX000 line aside for the wood which makes sense. Comfort is great actually, kinda like Beyerdynamic DT880 and better than Denons. Actually theyre just like the Denons but improved comfort all around. Pads are like leather (pleather whatever) DT880s pads, not like the giant non isolating DX000 pads. It looks super sleek with its matte cups and all black, kinda like the dark knight :) I believe the cups are magnesium. When you knock on them, it sounds like a nice plastic wood or something. Hopefully these dont have the same screw problems as with the Denon line.
Also read something about 1 Tesla magnetic circuit and bio-dynamic diaphragm. Can anyone explain this? Lol.

The first thing I noticed was the low end. Very clean and punchy. Next I went to the highs; nice and crisp which I am finding I appreciate more and more. What is strange is that I dont find it to be V shaped, maybe slightly. It has a very linear presentation, no recessed mids which is nice.
Definitely find it to be a reference class with its linear sound and its detail. Wow, this is definitely a headphone that can reveal lost details in music. I actually find that it maybe changes the music a bit, meaning that I notice small details much more than usual.

I have actually been thinking about an end game headphone ever since going to a meet and the “if only one headphone” thread and the Fostex Th 600 may be top on that list along with the HD800.

Comfort. Check. Sound. Check. Aesthetics and build. Check. Reference class (detail). Check.
Looks good to me.
Thanks Justin.

These demos are so awesome!

P.S. These are what I imagined the D7000s to sound like but probably more linear. But Ive never heard the D7000, only D2000, so its all speculation. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #820 of 1,464
I got the notice that the STAX has arrived. I haven't picked them up, since the post office closed before I got off from work
frown.gif

I will definitely get them tomorrow and I will be glued to my chair for sure!

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #822 of 1,464
Fostex TH 600

First thing's first. THANK YOU JUSTIN for this demo.Seriously the greatest thing ever. I have had the pleasure of trying out high end headphone in the comfort of my home with only shipping to pay. Amazing.

The Fostex looks just like the Denon DX000 line aside for the wood which makes sense. Comfort is great actually, kinda like Beyerdynamic DT880 and better than Denons. Actually theyre just like the Denons but improved comfort all around. Pads are like leather (pleather whatever) DT880s pads, not like the giant non isolating DX000 pads. It looks super sleek with its matte cups and all black, kinda like the dark knight :) I believe the cups are magnesium. When you knock on them, it sounds like a nice plastic wood or something. Hopefully these dont have the same screw problems as with the Denon line.

Also read something about 1 Tesla magnetic circuit and bio-dynamic diaphragm. Can anyone explain this? Lol.

The first thing I noticed was the low end. Very clean and punchy. Next I went to the highs; nice and crisp which I am finding I appreciate more and more. What is strange is that I dont find it to be V shaped, maybe slightly. It has a very linear presentation, no recessed mids which is nice.

Definitely find it to be a reference class with its linear sound and its detail. Wow, this is definitely a headphone that can reveal lost details in music. I actually find that it maybe changes the music a bit, meaning that I notice small details much more than usual.

I have actually been thinking about an end game headphone ever since going to a meet and the “if only one headphone” thread and the Fostex Th 600 may be top on that list along with the HD800.

Comfort. Check. Sound. Check. Aesthetics and build. Check. Reference class (detail). Check.

Looks good to me.

Thanks Justin.

These demos are so awesome!

P.S. These are what I imagined the D7000s to sound like but probably more linear. But Ive never heard the D7000, only D2000, so its all speculation. 

Wow, great write up! If these are what you you say I'll be selling my D5000's to help fund a pair. There will be lots of A B testing when they arrive hopefully soon.

This round of demoing has produced a lot of great reviews. Great job you guys

Thanks,

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #823 of 1,464
Thank you thank you. I love and appreciate what Justin is doing so much. This rekindled my Audiophilism. That and Meets.

From what I remember about the D2000s, the Fostex are basically a less fun sounding (that sounds horrible....), more reference class version. And by less fun sounding, I dont mean flat or boring, I thought it sounded super fun but then denons are just ridiculous in that regard.
Quote:
Wow, great write up! If these are what you you say I'll be selling my D5000's to help fund a pair. There will be lots of A B testing when they arrive hopefully soon.

This round of demoing has produced a lot of great reviews. Great job you guys

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #824 of 1,464
Quote:
Thank you thank you. I love and appreciate what Justin is doing so much. This rekindled my Audiophilism. That and Meets.

From what I remember about the D2000s, the Fostex are basically a less fun sounding (that sounds horrible....), more reference class version. And by less fun sounding, I dont mean flat or boring, I thought it sounded super fun but then denons are just ridiculous in that regard.

So have you shipped them yet?  I'm only seeing them in position 2 on the first page of this thread.   Only concerned that they don't arrive to me in the next 6 days which I can't see happening. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #825 of 1,464
Sorry Oregonian, seriously doubt youll get it in 6 days time. I feel like youll be lucky if you get them in 2 weeks.. 
Just patiently waiting for the next address :)
Already sent a confirmation email to Justin
Quote:
So have you shipped them yet?  I'm only seeing them in position 2 on the first page of this thread.   Only concerned that they don't arrive to me in the next 6 days which I can't see happening. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back