HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560
May 21, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #618 of 1,464
I've been told that the HE-400 demo headphones smell like cigarettes.  If you're going to smoke inside, please do not sign up for the demos.  

Unbelievable.. being last on the list, now I have to deal with someones stink.  Rather deal with cat hair then that.

Yah that's pretty silly. People need to be a lot more responsible and considerate with other people's belongings.

Thanks,

D

May 23, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #622 of 1,464
When will we find out if we made the list for the TH600's? Gotta start selling more stuff to get ready for these bad boys...

Thanks,

D

May 28, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #626 of 1,464
How are we coming along with the Stax Demo?? Havent heard an update in some time?

Thanks,

D

May 28, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #627 of 1,464
Quote:
How are we coming along with the Stax Demo?? Havent heard an update in some time?

Thanks,

D

Someone's anxious...
wink.gif

Don't worry, I am too. I just got my hands on a pair of DT 880s, so I'm more than satisfied right now.
beyersmile.png

May 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #628 of 1,464

Thanks,

D

Someone's anxious...:wink:

Don't worry, I am too. I just got my hands on a pair of DT 880s, so I'm more than satisfied right now. :beyersmile:

Lol little bit... Just curious where they are and when they'll be moving. Haven't seen pictures or heard impressions for quote some time and I hope no one is smoking around them like they were with the HE-400's... I have my LCD's and new Burson 160DS keeping me occupied at the moment so I'll survive the wait, it's just seems like we hit a snag in the Stax demo is all.

Thanks,

D

May 28, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #629 of 1,464
Quote:

Thanks,

D

its moving.  HE-400 should be back here soon so i'll see how smokey they are.  east coast LCD-2 pair status is unknown.  the last person was supposed to buy them, but so far 2 checks have been 'lost' in the mail.  no more to add at this time.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
May 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #630 of 1,464
Quote:
Lol little bit... Just curious where they are and when they'll be moving. Haven't seen pictures or heard impressions for quote some time and I hope no one is smoking around them like they were with the HE-400's... I have my LCD's and new Burson 160DS keeping me occupied at the moment so I'll survive the wait, it's just seems like we hit a snag in the Stax demo is all.

Thanks,

D

I sent out the Stax setup to the next guy over a week ago so I imagine he's probably already sent them to the next person or will very soon. Sorry I haven't posted any impressions, I'm not very confident in my ability to describe sound in a way that will make sense to all of you but I *am* confident in how I feel about the Stax 407. My HD600 and DT880 had never sounded grainy until I tried the 407. The 407 is, no questions asked, in a different league from all of my dynamics. The difference was subtle at first but as soon as a live album came on it was obvious. I first noticed it in the echoes of live vocals off of the walls of the venue. The HD600 and DT880 just couldn't reproduce the echoes in a life-like way. The 407 sounded like I was actually at the venue and the dynamics simply did not, by comparison. As I got more used to the 407 I realized it was more accurate and detailed across the board. There were details in the bass that the HD600 and DT880 simply couldn't produce, no matter how much I EQ'd up the bass. It just wasn't there. I should mention, the 407 is probably a bit bass-shy for a lot of people's tastes but I consider it neutral and the *quality* of the bass, like the rest of the frequency range, is incredible.

The SRM-252S was also impressive. Obviously I couldn't compare the 407's connected to any other amps but the 252 definitely looked and felt like a very solid piece of kit. I love that it has RCA-outs that work even when the unit is off. That made comparing headphones connected to my Lake People G109 very easy.

The Headamp pico USB DAC was also impressive. It was immediately clear to me that my HRT Music Streamer II is colored in the mids by comparison. I plan on buying the pico DAC very soon and selling my HRT MSII here on head-fi in case anyone is interested. It is still good for the price.

After listening to the 407 setup I was convinced I wanted to purchase it. I still feel that way but I will wait to see if I can get in on any Hifiman or Audeze demos in order to compare those orthos to my experience with the 407.

The 407 is a neutral, accurate headphone that will make your dynamics sound grainy and congested in a strange way. Its not that the 407 has a *huge* soundstage, though the soundstage is adequate, but it was wider sounding than my dynamics. They sounded congested, particularly in the mids, by comparison. As I mentioned, they also sounded grainy by comparison, especially in the mids but also throughout the spectrum. The 407 are silky smooth with very little grain, great resolution, and *amazingly* realistic reproduction of sounds. Anything that will benefit from sounding organic and authentic, such as live recordings, vocals, string instruments, wind instruments, will sound absolutely amazingly authentic on the 407. I know a lot of people use the HD600 when they need a natural, authentic sound but the 407 wipes the floor with the HD600 in that regard. They're that good.

Please let me know if you have any questions on any of this equipment. I had it for a few days and got to know it pretty well. I look forward to owning the 407 and 252 one day, hopefully very soon. Obviously I will be getting them from Justin and I want to thank him again for this opportunity. Being able to not only demo these but to do so in my own home alongside my existing equipment was extremely helpful and fun. So thanks Justin, this is an awesome program that I hope works out very well for you so that you can continue doing it.

Cheers,
Devin

Here's a pic of how I had it situated alongside my other equipment (on top of my PC). The 407s are sitting on the Sennheiser HH10 headphone holder that is clamped to the edge of my desk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back