HeadAmp.com's Gilmore Dynamic Headphone Amplifier Review
Nov 27, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #61 of 70
One other thing: if you just want bass strength and authority above all else, look into the Cary SEI.

Nov 27, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #62 of 70
I asked before I ordered my amp from Antness about some of these things discussed.

The blackcaps he said would not have as much captitance as the ones currently in there, due to the size of the enclosure.

He was willing to put in a stepped attn. at additional cost. In the end I decided against it. I might upgrade this later.

I figure cardas rca jacks are more than good enough, as well as the neutrix jack.

Also he said he would make it useasble as a pre amp(hence pre-outs for rca..)if i wanted. Im more into tube pre amps...

So some of the things that Kelly wants are really already, readily available.

And some arent!

My take on the amp is pretty much the same, but i want to wait until I get a decent source to review the amp with. Its detailed, yet not dry sounding. its smooth and full and punchy. It sounds like a class a amp. Mosfetish if you will with prestine detail.

k.s.

Nov 27, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #64 of 70
Quote:

Have you measured how much power it'll put into a 120 ohm load? It sounds like it certainly could power the K1000s...

I've ordered a kit from antness and that's exactly what I intend to use it for. As is, it looks as if it should be able to deliver about 300 mW into 120 Ohms, which is 98+ dB of output from the K1000s--more than enough for my listening purposes anyway.

However, to increase the amp's headroom for driving the K1000s, its power supply voltages can be increased (see Kevin Gilmore's project notes on Headwize). I plan to try this, although not without first heat-sinking the output transistors.

Nov 27, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #65 of 70
Quote:

it is a class A amp

IT is, REALLY? Thanks for the heads up. I thought it being called a "class a" amp was just some sort of marketing scheme.
cool.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #66 of 70
Great, informative review (as always) – thanks, kelly!

I'm denying myself asking about how the Gilmore compares to the Corda Blue... This question is postponed to your Prehead review.

Dec 4, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #67 of 70
So I assume this would be a good upgrade for someone who is currently using a Creek OBH-11 w/ OBH-2?

I had been considering the Sudgen Headmaster until I was pointed to this thread. Now I'm not so sure
smily_headphones1.gif

- pearle

Dec 4, 2002 at 6:48 PM Post #68 of 70
Hehehehe. I think it is known that I'm not a fan of the Creek. I usually use car analogies with this stuff, but in this case, if the Creek was a Pinto, the Gilmore is an F-16.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #69 of 70
Well, I've been happy with the Creek thus far (HD580s & RS-1 w/ Arcam CD72) but I've never listened to any other amp so I'm clueless
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish I was in an area where I could more easily audition headphone equipment.

- pearle

Dec 4, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #70 of 70
pearle
It is hard to imagine you could be disappointed moving from Creek/HD580 to Gilmore/HD580. I wish amps were easier to audition too, and I wish there were more meets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back