Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Feb 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #1,442 of 9,899
Beefy, any recommendations for boring tubes? 
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #1,443 of 9,899
It's actually a little bit on the warm side but mostly just supremely neutral.  I bloody well hoped it would be given how much it costs...  :p  

You're not supposed to say that. You're supposed to say that they're bright so that my will to resist buying them doesn't erode completely.

Bright. Potential channel imbalance. Repeat to self for as long as necessary.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,444 of 9,899
I also don't find my SR009 to be bright with my Esoteric K-01 and SRM727II, just extremely transparent. I'd be happy if BHSE with the JJ tubes give similar tonality, but of course will be even more transparent and detailed (but not bright) as I would expect. But it would actually hurt my eyes seeing the JJ tubes on the BHSE given how much the amp and my source and the headphone cost, so I will change them to some NOS anyways.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #1,445 of 9,899

Quote:
You need a screwdriver with a really small flat-head (like a jeweler's screwdriver) to adjust the trimpots and a multimeter to follow the below instructions, which I originally copied down from instructions given by spritzer on another forum. The trimpots are located right by the tube base rings - there are 4 of them. Face down directly at the top of the amp and you can't miss them - they're gold in color and are slotted on the top. You may also need bright direct lighting to spot them.

Stax Pro-bias socket diagram:

Also important: make sure to note which tube socket you use for each of the 4 tubes! If you accidentally change sockets on a tube, you may need to re-bias the amp.

Justin (HeadAmp) should have noted the tube sockets for the stock EL34s for example - in my case they were written on each tube's box.

Thanks a bunch.  Seems very clear and easy.

I'll let you all know how they sound compared to the GE Big Bottles.  Only problem now is my Wadia is back in Michigan for a drive replacement.

JHellow

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #1,446 of 9,899

Quote:
Hi,
Have anyone tried the EL34 GE/Sylvania Fatboys with BHSE + 009?
Regards,
Erico

Ps. Today's it's been an year ... hope it's close now...

Loan me your 009s and I'll let you know.  Seriously, the Fatboys sound very transparent to me, but don't seem to put much flesh on individual images.  Also, they seem a bit weak on the bottom.  But scads of detail almost to the point of being distracting.  This was with a Wadia 781i as a source, balanced into the BHSE.

JHellow

JHellow

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #1,447 of 9,899
Thanks for your opinion.
Which tubes are you using then?
Regards,
Erico

Quote:
Loan me your 009s and I'll let you know.  Seriously, the Fatboys sound very transparent to me, but don't seem to put much flesh on individual images.  Also, they seem a bit weak on the bottom.  But scads of detail almost to the point of being distracting.  This was with a Wadia 781i as a source, balanced into the BHSE.

JHellow

JHellow

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #1,448 of 9,899

Quote:
Beefy, any recommendations for boring tubes? 
wink.gif

Does a lead pipe through my own skull count as a tube? Certainly more exciting than all this tube talk.

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #1,450 of 9,899
So, if you miss all the whining, here it comes... I guess we would be discussing other things if most of us had already received our BHSEs.
wink_face.gif

Regards,
Erico

Quote:
Tube talk, another way to while away the day, yawn...

Yeah, I miss all of the whining. 
Justin has been pretty effective with the damage control, keeping them informed.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #1,453 of 9,899
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you............

Poor Justin. He must have an incredibly efficient whinge filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back