Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Feb 1, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #1,426 of 9,902

Quote:
My post was more of a joke than anything.  I have SED EL34s which sound perfectly good to me.

I sent a PM to Birgir about tubes for the BHSE and he also suggested SED34's, but at that time I still had the SR-007's,  because I had to use them as part exchange for the K-01 I no longer have them. I now have the SR-009's and from the posts I've been reading, they need different tubes to what the SR-007's do. I think before I decide to get any extra tubes, I'll wait until I hear from those that have both the BHSE + SR-009's.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #1,427 of 9,902
Because Birgir has a pair of SR-009's + the BHSE, I might send him a PM and ask him what tubes he's using, however I might be happy with the tubes that come with the BHSE, especially with the K-01 being used as source, but as I've said I'm mainly getting some extra tubes for backup.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,431 of 9,902
The Shugaungs are a bit warmer so some may like them (my experience is with the T2).  There are a number of non-vocal people (who's ears I trust a lot) who don't feel the 009 is bright in the least, so don't necessarily listen to the guy who feels he needs to say they are bright every time they are mentioned
wink.gif
  I would guess his source is bright.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #1,432 of 9,902
It would be nice if someone could come up with a comparison table of tubes models, both NOS and new, rated from warmest to coolest.
There's been many individual posts over time, which give some hints, but just enough to be confusing. 

I'd like to know where the SED fits in against the NOS Mullard xf2, against the stock JJ, etc, on a warmth scale.

Of course, there are many other tube qualities to consider, like reliability and ultimate sound quality, but a warmth scale would be a good start for many of us who are looking for best match for 007 or 009.

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #1,433 of 9,902
I completely agree with you.  I feel that most digital sources out there can be harsh or bright from my experience.  Since the 009 and BHSE are extremely neutral, they pretty much convey whatever the source is outputting.  Instead of fussing with expensive cables or expensive tubes, your money would probably be better spent on looking into a new source.  I bet that anybody with a great vinyl rig connected to the BHSE+009 would never complain that it is a bright setup in the lest.  The reason why newer state of the art DACs out there are so 'analogue' sounding isn't because they mimic warmth or glow of tube equipment, but because they manage to tame the digital harshness that a lot of equipment has.

My revelation in this was with the MK.II upgrade for my PWD, which turned it into a different beast entirely.  My speaker setup went from being fatiguing and harsh to something extremely enjoyable for hours on end.  All this was through the alteration of the input stage of the dac and jitter control, not even the output stage.  I used to need a tube preamp to keep my setup from sounding harsh and now I just got rid of it entirely.

Quote:
The Shugaungs are a bit warmer so some may like them (my experience is with the T2).  There are a number of non-vocal people (who's ears I trust a lot) who don't feel the 009 is bright in the least, so don't necessarily listen to the guy who feels he needs to say they are bright every time they are mentioned
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #1,434 of 9,902
I've written in some of my posts, that looks in audio equipment are as important to me as sound quality is. I've queried about the Shuguang Treasure BB 6CA7-Z's because I really like the look of them and think they'd look great on the BHSE I've ordered, especially with me opting for a Silver faceplate and Black rings on the BHSE.

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #1,435 of 9,902

Quote:
It would be nice if someone could come up with a comparison table of tubes models, both NOS and new, rated from warmest to coolest.
There's been many individual posts over time, which give some hints, but just enough to be confusing. 

I'd like to know where the SED fits in against the NOS Mullard xf2, against the stock JJ, etc, on a warmth scale.

Of course, there are many other tube qualities to consider, like reliability and ultimate sound quality, but a warmth scale would be a good start for many of us who are looking for best match for 007 or 009.

I think if 10 people made a list like this, the tubes would be in 10 different orders
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #1,436 of 9,902

Quote:
wink.gif

It's actually a little bit on the warm side but mostly just supremely neutral.  I bloody well hoped it would be given how much it costs... 
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,438 of 9,902
Kerry, Ari, Larry, and I all sensed zero brightness whatsoever with the BH/009 combo - it was pure awesome

Quote:
After I wrote that I thought you might think I was talking of you, but I wasn't
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back