Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
May 8, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #9,391 of 9,899
If anyone is interested in acquiring NOS tubes for their BHSE, I've just listed 4 quads (2 quads XF2/OO, and 2 quads XF4/DD), and a used quad of XF3's.
Not much of a deal really, as I'm looking to get what I paid for them (4 years ago). Prices have gone up since, but I've listed them for what I paid (or a little less on some).
I've never used any of these tubes, other than to test them when they arrived, so they should still be considered NOS as from when I purchased them.
The 4 quads are all in excellent shape (all tested very well), and most of them came from Tube World who has a high reputation for selling quality tubes.
My experience has been any decent used vintage EL34 tubes will sound better than any of today's reissue/replica EL34 tube.
PM for any additional info or photos.
Thanks.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/philips-made-in-holland-el34-dd-nos-tubes-for-sale.906262/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/siemens-mullard-el34-quad-s-of-xf2-oo-nos-tubes-for-sale.906224/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/philips-mullard-el34-xf3-used-tubes-for-sale.906279/

I forgot to mention, I will be putting my BHSE up for sale shortly, and it will be a package deal:
BHSE (black/120v) w/quads of Philips Metal Base, Philips XF4/DD halo, and XF2/OO halo
SR-009 w/SRE-950S extension cable - cable was never used
Stax SRM-1 amp (Spritzer reconditioned) - in excellent working order (good for office or bedroom)
None of the tubes listed with BHSE package deal are from the other NOS tube listings mentioned earlier
Sorry for my question.... did you sell your BHSE or is it working with other tubes?

May 8, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #9,394 of 9,899
Well,
please, can you tell me which tubes are now working? .. and which tubes do you think have given the best result?
Thanks for the attention
I don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm currently using my BHSE amp and rolling tubes. I haven't used my amp for about 4 years now, with the exception of about 5 hours to make sure it was still working properly.
Since I retired (4 years ago), I only use my home stereo. I just wasn't sure I wanted to sell the amp, which is why it's taken me so long to decide it's time to let it go.

Everyone who owns the BHSE has their own opinion of which tubes sound the best, so please only take this as my personal preference. Some may agree, and certainly others will disagree.

For me, the older the tube the better. You don't need matched quads, only matched pairs.
1. Holland Metal Base tubes sound the best (1955-1958). Very expensive.
2. Holland XF3/4/5 DD Halo (1958-1962). I like these the best considering the price and availability of the Metal Base
3. Mullard XF2 OO Halo (1962-1973). These were the last tubes using the welded plates
4. Mullard XF3/XF4 (1973-1975 and 1975-1980). To me, both sound the same. Both use staple plates.

I'm not a big fan of the RFT EL34. Nothing wrong with them, but I like the Mullard/Philips tubes much better.
Also, not a fan of current reissue/replica tubes. There always seems like production quality issues, and I don't think they sound nearly as good as the vintage tubes. Again, just my opinion.

PS - I'll be visiting the Amalfi coast this summer (actually, next month). I'm really looking forward to this trip.

May 8, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #9,395 of 9,899
I don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm currently using my BHSE amp and rolling tubes. I haven't used my amp for about 4 years now, with the exception of about 5 hours to make sure it was still working properly.
Since I retired (4 years ago), I only use my home stereo. I just wasn't sure I wanted to sell the amp, which is why it's taken me so long to decide it's time to let it go.

Everyone who owns the BHSE has their own opinion of which tubes sound the best, so please only take this as my personal preference. Some may agree, and certainly others will disagree.

For me, the older the tube the better. You don't need matched quads, only matched pairs.
1. Holland Metal Base tubes sound the best (1955-1958). Very expensive.
2. Holland XF3/4/5 DD Halo (1958-1962). I like these the best considering the price and availability of the Metal Base
3. Mullard XF2 OO Halo (1962-1973). These were the last tubes using the welded plates
4. Mullard XF3/XF4 (1973-1975 and 1975-1980). To me, both sound the same. Both use staple plates.

I'm not a big fan of the RFT EL34. Nothing wrong with them, but I like the Mullard/Philips tubes much better.
Also, not a fan of current reissue/replica tubes. There always seems like production quality issues, and I don't think they sound nearly as good as the vintage tubes. Again, just my opinion.

PS - I'll be visiting the Amalfi coast this summer (actually, next month). I'm really looking forward to this trip.
Thank you for your helpful opinion.
You will be welcome in Italy. Amalfi Coast is really beautiful. If you can visit other places ... Italy is splendid!!!!

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #9,397 of 9,899
540708B3-7B41-459F-837D-320704D5C08B.jpeg
Thank you Peter and Justin for the great guidance in leading to the purchase of the BHSE. I have been contemplating this purchase for some time. Currently listening through the Stax 009. Now, I may need to experiment with the right setup, but the current setup with output from the Accuphase 3850 preamp to the BHSE seems to work very well. This way I use the 3850 to line out various sources with ability to control the volume from the remote.

Update: Decided to go directly from the Accuphase D-37 Dac. Did a A/B with the Accuphase and the Chord Hugo 2. Despite being the fraction of the cost of the DC-37 the Hugo 2 sounded pretty good. Will continue to experiment.

Went directly from phono preamp, magical. Definitely, this is where the magic happens.

Update: for convenience reasons went back to feeding the BHSE from the 3850. The best option.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #9,398 of 9,899
HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jun 28, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #9,399 of 9,899
We've posted the new BHSE umbilical cable to our site, should start shipping in a week or so. This is the new stock cable for all BHSE from here on out, adding superior conductors (silver-coated copper w/teflon insulation), and a new flat, ribbon-style form factor that fits easier into tight spaces.

https://www.headamp.com/order/headamp-blue-hawaii-se-upgrade-power-umbilical-cable/
Fitting easier into tight spaces is an interesting feature (at least for some BHSE owners), but the main question is: does this new cable improve the BHSE's sound quality? Reviews from HeadFiers are expected.

Jul 1, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #9,400 of 9,899
Fitting easier into tight spaces is an interesting feature (at least for some BHSE owners), but the main question is: does this new cable improve the BHSE's sound quality? Reviews from HeadFiers are expected.

I have the new umbilical cable, but since I have never heard the old one I can not compare.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #9,403 of 9,899
Now I get it why Headamp came with the Champagne option.
It's directed at people in the Accuphase camp.

Nice setup you have there.
I also like your subpops plates. Did you get them back in the 80s?

love the Champagne version also. I wish I mine was champagne instead of black !

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #9,404 of 9,899
love the Champagne version also. I wish I mine was champagne instead of black !

Nothing is impossible. Try with Justin, if there is a way "to a Champagne set" (2xfronts, 8xfeets, 4xtube-rings, 1xVol-knob)

No soldering required. Every part is removable and matches perfectly, because of the great precision work!

This is a real sustainable product!

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #9,405 of 9,899
0C4B0ABB-1DB6-4609-9AF8-FA9F20A953FD.jpeg
Now I get it why Headamp came with the Champagne option.
It's directed at people in the Accuphase camp.

Nice setup you have there.
I also like your subpops plates. Did you get them back in the 80s?

Full image:

At one time I owned a couple in the 80’s, but no these were all bought in the last 5 years. There collectors editions, so I cannot say I have listened to them.

Yes, the Champaign color matches the Accuphase gear to T. Now, I had my reservations since the pictures on the website differed a bit. When I saw in person I felt reassured they would be a match. I am truly happy with the choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back