Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jan 17, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #9,361 of 9,882
Yeah, cables differences are not going to be 009 to 009S pronounced. Especially into a BHSE, which has 50K input impedance and doesn't have a particular sensitivity to capacitance like some cables runs from an MC step-up transformer or MM cartridge. But some difference, yes. I tried a good number of Audioquest cables on mine. Mostly the upper-range silver models. The Fire was the best. Really, really nice sound. Wind and Sky (cheaper than Fire) were close to Fire - very, very good and I felt meaningfully better than the lower cables (the older Cheetah and Colorado models are just not good compared to these). Above the Fire, the Wild Blue Yonder was no better; just more expensive. Same with the top (and ridiculously expensive) WEL Signature. I hear a bit more differences between these cables on my high-end speaker setup, and settled on Wild Blue Yonders there.

You can also take the exotic cable money and put it towards a T2 build, which will make 100x the difference :) But the BHSE with good tubes and good silver cables is certainly no slouch. I really enjoyed mine when I owned it.

And as we have already known how masculine the T2 is .
AC55D1F7-08D8-4438-ACD1-DAF05906C59E.jpeg

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #9,362 of 9,882
depending on how you setup is if you can make the runs as short as possible it should help things.

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #9,366 of 9,882
Yeah, cables differences are not going to be 009 to 009S pronounced. Especially into a BHSE, which has 50K input impedance and doesn't have a particular sensitivity to capacitance like some cables runs from an MC step-up transformer or MM cartridge. But some difference, yes. I tried a good number of Audioquest cables on mine. Mostly the upper-range silver models. The Fire was the best. Really, really nice sound. Wind and Sky (cheaper than Fire) were close to Fire - very, very good and I felt meaningfully better than the lower cables (the older Cheetah and Colorado models are just not good compared to these). Above the Fire, the Wild Blue Yonder was no better; just more expensive. Same with the top (and ridiculously expensive) WEL Signature. I hear a bit more differences between these cables on my high-end speaker setup, and settled on Wild Blue Yonders there.

You can also take the exotic cable money and put it towards a T2 build, which will make 100x the difference :) But the BHSE with good tubes and good silver cables is certainly no slouch. I really enjoyed mine when I owned it.

This man drowns in high-high end cables folks. Truth!

Jan 26, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #9,368 of 9,882
About the tube tester for the BHSE someone tried the EL 34 Sophia Electric?

I seriously looked at those for my GG, but ultimately passed on them. The guy I buy my wire from bought a pair for his single ended system with speakers. After evaluation, he preferred his reissue GL KT77s. Maybe in a BHSE or GG to STAX headphones, the Sophia could be the best ever, but IDK.

The Sophia EL34-ST internals (welded plates, shape of the mica spacers... ) in the eBay photos look identical to some very inexpensive Shuguang EL34Bs I use. There is NO history of reliability of these Sophia tubes on the internet. Not good. Especially when considering Chinese tubes. Back when I looked at them, I wrote to Sophia and they said they would last “5000-7000 hours” but would not guarantee them past either 15 or 30 days depending on the ad. It was hard to get a straight story from them. I see now there is extra 2 year protection plan offered for an additional $39.99 on some -but not all eBay sales. Don’t assume all those that Sophia sells has that protection, read the ad for the check box. The optional 2 year protection is not offered on direct sales from Sophia.

If I was still in the market for them, I would spring for those on eBay with the added protection. If even one tube goes bad within that 2 years, you would either get a new matched quad (arguably, a single tube replacement would not match the remaining run-in tubes), or full refund. At those elevated prices, that’s some peace of mind for being a beta tester of their tubes.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #9,369 of 9,882
I was looking at these and the PSVANE PH metal base replicas. I went with the PSVANE because at the time they at least had good reviews for sound signature.. reliability was another story. However the ones I have are their second generation of the tubes(silver base vs bronze) and they appear to have solved the physical issues with pins etc. I have only run them for ~year, so long term is up in the air.

I really wanted to try the Sophia electric but the zero reviews for them(other than one sponsored) turned me off. But at that price for a new production el34 I am not surprised people have been passing on them.

I will pick up a quad of the sophia electric at some point this year.. I havent had a lot of time for listening in the fall and winter, I want them for when I am back on a more normal schedule.

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #9,370 of 9,882
I got four EL34 STR 450 Siemens NOS from Mesa/Boogie for $358. I'm very happy with them, but the improvement is subtle. The midrange and highs are a bit warmer, more tube sounding than the stock. The set I received have less gain than the stock tubes and that allows me to turn up my DAC's volume control. I think that might be part of the improvement I'm hearing.

Jan 26, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #9,371 of 9,882
Blu Mesa Boogie for the win. Consistency far from potential NOS surprises, cheap, kick and bass all around, nowhere near the thiness of re-issued Mullards or too shy delicacy of Shuguang Treasure.

Ali

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #9,372 of 9,882
Found on eBay. another new Chinese EL34 equivalent, the Shuguang WE6CA7 PLUS.

3019BD6C-38B5-47B6-B040-7D86A4705E48.jpeg

They list carbon plates, but nothing else in specs. No internet history on reliability, but 1 year warranty. Looks interesting. The bases appear oversized and would not fit my GG without metalwork.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #9,375 of 9,882
ok, i may place an order

We've been working on a new power cord (between the power supply and amp) for the Blue Hawaii SE, which is a flat style cable. Not only is it way more friendly to use, but the design is better as well. All conductors are still the same gauge as the garden hose style cable with better quality wire and dielectrics. We'll be offering this cord soon to BHSE owners and it's starting to ship with new builds now. Still deciding on offering the natural colored cotton sleeving as an option - thoughts?

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back