Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Nov 5, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #9,076 of 9,899
Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #9,077 of 9,899
That other site in the Headphone Amplifier section has the usual forensics of the MSB electrostatic amp with photos and critiques. Also, check the DIY section for the Current Feedback Electrostatic Amplifier thread for Kevin Gilmore’s fresh take on it and the folks who have built it. Looks super simple and reportedly sounds pretty good but “different” than other KG amps.

Yes, about $35 in parts for the circuit (28 transistors per channel at about 50 cents/transistor, 36 resistors per channel at 10 cents/resistor) plus the cost for the circuit boards, power supply, etc. That's way cheaper than even my SRX Plus, which is designed as a budget amp. You figure out how the cost multiplies up to $38k.

There's an internal pic on the MSB website - take a look at the lower left corner to see a resistor just hanging out in mid-air:

http://www.msbtechnology.com/amplifiers/headphone-amp-features/

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #9,078 of 9,899
Yes, about $35 in parts for the circuit (28 transistors per channel at about 50 cents/transistor, 36 resistors per channel at 10 cents/resistor) plus the cost for the circuit boards, power supply, etc. That's way cheaper than even my SRX Plus, which is designed as a budget amp. You figure out how the cost multiplies up to $38k.

In the high end electrostatic market, it is common to use “FBC” (the Fang Bian Constant, or x1000) to adjust part cost to retail price.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #9,079 of 9,899
LOL you mean the HIFiman guy not the kickboxer that came to mind first. HEH :ksc75smile:

In the high end electrostatic market, it is common to use “FBC” (the Fang Bian Constant, or x1000) to adjust part cost to retail price.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #9,080 of 9,899

There's an internal pic on the MSB website - take a look at the lower left corner to see a resistor just hanging out in mid-air:

http://www.msbtechnology.com/amplifiers/headphone-amp-features/

You mean here:
Select-Headphone-Amp-Internal.jpg

Hmm, I have mixed feelings about MSB gear. It is either very damb good or just plain smoke and mirrors audio markup. I heard the Platinum IV stack and was not moved, underwhelmed actually. So this electrostatic amplifier is absolute top if the tree then? Must be based on the asking price right? Not saying it is so, but that blue transformer looks very much like the 110 USD one I bought off Ebay (from China). A few caps and resistors, another torroid trans, fancy CNC case, so we have maybe 33K USD left easy for err... profit of course. This kind of thing makes me wonder why I like this hobby as much as I do. It is a paradox for sure.

Nov 5, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #9,083 of 9,899
I still don’t get why in the blue moon would it cost 35k....LoL. Thanks for the link to the pictures

I only know of one poster 'squirrel' (simon) who posted here for a while about it, and later on WB Forum, and he has the MSB Electrostatic amp and the Select II. But as far as I know he didn't compare it to any other non Stax amps to know how good it is (or not). I did get hammered at the other forum by the Stax Mafia, but I don't think any of those guys heard it either, only slated it based on the design and price of it. IMO it does seem like a red rag overpricing exercise. Lets see, for 37K USD I could have a Mustang, or a nice cruise for a full year, or even put 25% down on a house. Never realised audio parts were so expensive. We really need more guys like KG. Without the access to his amp designs and the DIY community it would be Stax amps or this box. Too many of those boxes in this hobby already.

Nov 5, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #9,085 of 9,899
This has got to be an optical delusion or something, does the board look cracked to you?
Screenshot_20171105-150208.png
Yeah ! For 38k, and that! Could you imagine elsewhere ? :D Oh, and those Very high quality Ribbon cables too eh ?

OK, enough OT, back to BHSE, time for some good music.... and :beerchug:

Nov 5, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #9,086 of 9,899
This has got to be an optical delusion or something, does the board look cracked to you?

Jeeze, don't you know gloss black PCBs are 5K a pop?

Nov 5, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #9,088 of 9,899
Their pricing structure reminds me of those companies that take phones, sunglasses, other cheap electronics and then they cover it in gold and diamonds... Except MSB has found a way peddle it for those prices with out the bling.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #9,089 of 9,899
i happen to own the MSB Select II with 2 power supplies and the clock upgrade. while not any audio bargain, it walks it's talk in the performance neighborhood it competes in, and is a fantastically satisfying piece of audio gear to live with. if you are ever in the Seattle area you are welcome to come hear it.

not heard the MSB Select II Stat amp so i cannot comment. i have heard the MSB mono block amplifiers a number of times; and they are very fine; and while not cheap either they compete at a high level with other similarly prices amplifiers. if you have not investigated products like these, then realize maybe you are not in a position to judge.

i would suggest to actually listen to the performance of something prior to passing judgement. not that i expect that to happen, it's just my suggestion.

Nov 6, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #9,090 of 9,899
There is plenty of pricey gear out there, and I’m sure some people here run spectacular price sources and DACs into Stax and other headphones.

There have been a few posters who salivated at the hint that Mjolnir might produce an over the top electrostatic amp. I do love my Carbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back