Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Nov 3, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #9,062 of 9,882
Heh, as you will find out, there is no REAL answer to this question. Even if Justin answers, it will depend on factors not in anyone's control. It comes down to what he has on hand, what time he has to work on it, where you are in the list, where he is on the current batch, etc.

Bottom line, it will be ready when it's ready and not a moment sooner. :D
Up to page 130 now, and I'm getting down the history of this unit. Lots of angst because of delay in production and shipping, but ultimately people seem floored once product is in hand. I dropped the hammer on one last night before reading all this today and feel confident it was a good decision to join the club.

I'm sure I will get an idea of this answer as I plod through the next 475 pages getting caught up, and I apologize in advance if it was answered just a few unread posts ago, but as a spoiler, what seems to be the wait time on units nowadays? Is it still "6 months" which really means nearly a year, or has production technique been streamlined to move to a more reasonable time frame?

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #9,063 of 9,882
Up to page 130 now, and I'm getting down the history of this unit. Lots of angst because of delay in production and shipping, but ultimately people seem floored once product is in hand. I dropped the hammer on one last night before reading all this today and feel confident it was a good decision to join the club.

I'm sure I will get an idea of this answer as I plod through the next 475 pages getting caught up, and I apologize in advance if it was answered just a few unread posts ago, but as a spoiler, what seems to be the wait time on units nowadays? Is it still "6 months" which really means nearly a year, or has production technique been streamlined to move to a more reasonable time frame?

Thanks for your order. Right now, lead times are 4-6 weeks, not months. Much has been improved at HeadAmp since the days of the longest BHSE delays, including more space, equipment, and manpower. So you should be enjoying your new amp before too long.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 5, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #9,065 of 9,882
Thanks for your order. Right now, lead times are 4-6 weeks, not months. Much has been improved at HeadAmp since the days of the longest BHSE delays, including more space, equipment, and manpower. So you should be enjoying your new amp before too long.
I remember being in the queue and wondering whether I would get my BHSE in time for christmas. Or my birthday. Or some subsequent christmas. Ah, those were the days. Part of the paranoia that would have been behind some of those posts was the whole mess with another amp builder who had imploded a while previously. Can't recall the brand.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #9,067 of 9,882
Jim, remember when MSB brought out that crazy money electrostatic amp and used Mikhail's mug shot on the web page. Never got to the bottom of that story. Was he used as an adviser? Was it a mistake?

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #9,068 of 9,882
I am trying to remember what was the most expensive Amp being produced for Stax ? Was it MSB ? How is it going now ?

http://www.msbtechnology.com/amplifiers/headphone-amp-reviews/

Right, I am seeing it .....woaaa...$38k....speechless

4-6 weeks is damn fast and good for something of this caliber :).

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #9,072 of 9,882
The internal pics on their site show spliced in resistor that looks like an afterthought...just sayin' :)
This is also at the bottom of the page:
"*Stax Limited will not be liable for any damage to the headphones caused by the MSB Select Headphone Amplifier." LOL - CYA time....

If I remember correctly they say it works best with their $89K DAC and $10K power supply, of course....

I wonder what is inside that amp to justify that much. Stuff made from diamond and unicorn dust ?

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #9,074 of 9,882
The internal pics on their site show spliced in resistor that looks like an afterthought...just sayin' :)
This is also at the bottom of the page:
"*Stax Limited will not be liable for any damage to the headphones caused by the MSB Select Headphone Amplifier." LOL - CYA time....

If I remember correctly they say it works best with their $89K DAC and $10K power supply, of course....

I would love to see the internal picture if you could dig it up some where :D

Wow, such good disclaimer. Good to see

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #9,075 of 9,882
I wonder what is inside that amp to justify that much. Stuff made from diamond and unicorn dust ?

That other site in the Headphone Amplifier section has the usual forensics of the MSB electrostatic amp with photos and critiques. Also, check the DIY section for the Current Feedback Electrostatic Amplifier thread for Kevin Gilmore’s fresh take on it and the folks who have built it. Looks super simple and reportedly sounds pretty good but “different” than other KG amps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back