Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Mar 15, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #6,963 of 9,902

Nice setup... Why not Black to match the AMR?  Just asking......

He probably will get a new DAC to match the BHSE.  I think he need a new audio rack though.  Those $10000 + gears need better home!

Mar 15, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #6,964 of 9,902
They only had the black AMR when I bought it..
As for the audio rack, I'm a cheapskate when it comes to spending money on items that don't contribute to sound quality. :D

Mar 15, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #6,965 of 9,902
  They only had the black AMR when I bought it..
As for the audio rack, I'm a cheapskate when it comes to spending money on items that don't contribute to sound quality. :D

In your case, you might get a positive impact on the sound.  Where you place your DAC it isn't even sturdy.  You don't need a  $1000 rack....just something more sturdy/solid surface will do.  

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #6,969 of 9,902
  Got my BHSE too last Thursday (Aus)

Order date: June 2013.

Congrats on your BHSE. I got mine a few months ago and loving it.

Now is that a standard (low cost) power bar you have everything plugged into?  If so, you should remove that and plug your gear directly into the wall.  Low cost power supplies reduce the current as power demands increase, thereby constraining your dynamics.  Not a good thing at all.

If you don't want to use a high end power conditioner (e.g Shunyata) or regenerator (e.g., PS Audio), no power bar is better!

Try it out and see.

You may also want to borrow a better, sturdier AV rack and see what that does. You'll probably be amazed.

You've got some really nice components, don't sub-optimize on the power and rack!

(That's my unsolicited 2c)

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #6,970 of 9,902
Has anyone experimented with different fuses in the power supply of the BHSE?

One of mine blew and since I need to replace it anyway, thought I would look into the cryo treated, etc. fuses.

(I learned a few years ago that everything in the electrical signal's path will affect the sound… audio and video is just your incoming AC converted to sound and picture.)

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #6,971 of 9,902
  Has anyone experimented with different fuses in the power supply of the BHSE?

One of mine blew and since I need to replace it anyway, thought I would look into the cryo treated, etc. fuses.

(I learned a few years ago that everything in the electrical signal's path will affect the sound… audio and video is just your incoming AC converted to sound and picture.)

Since you got your BHSE only a few months ago, I'd be more concerned with the reason your fuse blew. Do you know why it happened?

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #6,972 of 9,902

Congrats on your BHSE. I got mine a few months ago and loving it.

Now is that a standard (low cost) power bar you have everything plugged into?  If so, you should remove that and plug your gear directly into the wall.  Low cost power supplies reduce the current as power demands increase, thereby constraining your dynamics.  Not a good thing at all.

If you don't want to use a high end power conditioner (e.g Shunyata) or regenerator (e.g., PS Audio), no power bar is better!

Try it out and see.

You may also want to borrow a better, sturdier AV rack and see what that does. You'll probably be amazed.

You've got some really nice components, don't sub-optimize on the power and rack!

(That's my unsolicited 2c)

The power supply comes with the BHSE.  Surge protectors aren't power supplies and certainly aren't going to make you lose dynamics. 

Surge, I think TheAttorney made some posts comparing different boutique fuses in the BHSE a while back.

Maus, your rack looks good to me.  You have good vertical spacing between shelves for proper ventilation and it looks sturdy enough.  You might want to put a thin shelf on that bottom part since it appears you have the PSU on the carpet and carpet tends to hold onto heat.  Anyways, enjoy the amp and congrats :)

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #6,973 of 9,902

Surge protectors aren't power supplies and certainly aren't going to make you lose dynamics. 

Many people think otherwise. Certainly the PS Audio people do - but you could argue they are biased and are trying to sell their own power regenerators.
Search online though and you'll see that PS Audio is not alone.

I certainly wouldn't use a simple surge protector on high end audio equipment.  My recc is to plug the amp especially directly into the wall outlet and compare.

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #6,974 of 9,902

Many people think otherwise. Certainly the PS Audio people do - but you could argue they are biased and are trying to sell their own power regenerators.
Search online though and you'll see that PS Audio is not alone.

I certainly wouldn't use a simple surge protector on high end audio equipment.  My recc is to plug the amp especially directly into the wall outlet and compare.

PS Audio are biased a-priori, it's their livelihood. Certainly they are trying to sell their products, what they think one way or another doesn't matter. 

My stuff is plugged into my APC regenerating UPS for my computer systems (I mostly listen while I work). Don't hear a difference to the wall, and the UPS prevents all surges, dropouts and glitches from house appliances, which is exactly what you'd want from a power system. 

What's funny about audio voodoo is how it always matches what your common sense would think it should be. For example as above, people who think a power regenerator limits dynamics. Why dynamics? Why not soundstage? Why not texture/tone? Conveniently wall power is associated with power delivery (but I'd bet most people who hear a difference couldn't explain how), so naturally regenerators limit dynamics. But why not increase dynamics? My UPS has a big fatty battery sitting these, a beautiful reservoir of electrons, way more than are off in some long power wire, eh? 

Whatever, people believe all sorts of stuff. Sorry, I shouldn't be arguing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back