Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Mar 27, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #6,991 of 9,902
Thank you for the intro. At least I have an idea now of where to start my research. I currently use lcd3s, planar magnetic, headphones with my Amp. Just out of curiosity, have you ever had the chance to compare sound signatures of the bh against amps for dynamic/planar? Or is it that people on one camp don't bother trying the other?

i have a 009 / 007mkII with a KGSS/BHSE/STAX amp and had a LCD 3 on my Lehmann audio amp for some time to compare.
For my experence, the 007mkII and the LCD3 have some similarities in sound. The LCD3 delivers a bit more highs but is also on the smoother side.
The SR 009 is different in clarity, bassdelivery and resolution to my ears.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #6,993 of 9,902

Thank you for the intro. At least I have an idea now of where to start my research. I currently use lcd3s, planar magnetic, headphones with my Amp. Just out of curiosity, have you ever had the chance to compare sound signatures of the bh against amps for dynamic/planar? Or is it that people on one camp don't bother trying the other?

i have a 009 / 007mkII with a KGSS/BHSE/STAX amp and had a LCD 3 on my Lehmann audio amp for some time to compare.
For my experence, the 007mkII and the LCD3 have some similarities in sound. The LCD3 delivers a bit more highs but is also on the smoother side.
The SR 009 is different in clarity, bassdelivery and resolution to my ears.

Thanks for the insight. I have LCD3s so this definitely help in understanding the differences.

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #6,995 of 9,902
Has anybody used a gungnir with a BHSE? Buying the BHSE would leave me broke, so I am looking at the gungnir as a starting DAC. Many thanks.

I haven't used or heard the gungnir with my BHSE, but I have used my iPod with it and the SQ was still very good, obviously not as good as when using my SACD / DAC though.
Also the BHSE won't be available forever.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #6,997 of 9,902
  Thank you David. I think I am going to go for it and get a gungnir. I can always upgrade in the future.

FWIW, one of my buddies got the Modi2 Uber from Schiit and he is a discriminating audiophile and was very happy with it. For $149 and with you wallet issues at the moment, give that a consideration.

Cheeers

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #6,998 of 9,902
Thank you. That's a good idea. I think the Schiit big Dac is coming out soon and might be better to save for it and use a cheap alternative in the meantime. I am glad to hear that David's did not sound too bad out of his iPod.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #6,999 of 9,902
I agree that an iPod is probably not the source to be used with the likes of the BHSE, but I did this because I was taking that amp along with my 009's to a head-fi meeting in 2012, and with my main source weighing around 33kg, i didn't like the idea of taking it to that meeting.
So I tried my iPod with my BHSE before that meeting and was quite impressed, and at that meeting everyone that heard my 009/BHSE/iPod were also impressed, in fact a couple couldn't believe I was using an iPod with the SQ that was being produced.
I did have to turn the volume knob to about 3 O'clock though, whereas with my main source it's around 10.30am.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #7,000 of 9,902
no need to subscribe to the context that bhse MUST be paired with uber expensive source. I paired it with Stello DA100 and happy with it. I know there's people who paired it with headamp pico and also happy with it.

Go for the BHSE. And Im sure you have more than enough time to save money for a good source for your standard while waiting for the BHSE to be delivered. You probably get your dream source before you receive the BHSE

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #7,001 of 9,902
Thank you. That's a good idea. I think the Schiit big Dac is coming out soon and might be better to save for it and use a cheap alternative in the meantime. I am glad to hear that David's did not sound too bad out of his iPod.

Absolutely. I think its worth the wait. I looked at the Gungair and it was $750, which seems a bit steep for an interim solution. Good luck with that.

I agree that an iPod is probably not the source to be used with the likes of the BHSE, but I did this because I was taking that amp along with my 009's to a head-fi meeting in 2012, and with my main source weighing around 33kg, i didn't like the idea of taking it to that meeting.
So I tried my iPod with my BHSE before that meeting and was quite impressed, and at that meeting everyone that heard my 009/BHSE/iPod were also impressed, in fact a couple couldn't believe I was using an iPod with the SQ that was being produced.
I did have to turn the volume knob to about 3 O'clock though, whereas with my main source it's around 10.30am.

+1 on the use of the iPod with your high-end rig. I found that all my iTunes music, which I have collected over so many years, would be an absolute waste if I couldn't use it with my rig. Albeit, I am not using the BHSE - nonetheless, I have decent set of components and tube amps along the chain that can spice up the output of an iOS device.

The ironclad test was to do a comparison between the standard output of your iPhone/iPad and then switch to the output of your Headphone Amp with the iOS device as the source. To me the difference is substantial, especially when using the Lineout and not the standard headphone jack.

cheers

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #7,002 of 9,902
  Ok guys - I am beginning to get the point after basic research on the BHSE 
tongue.gif

Its really intriguing and I appreciate Kevin's principles - I am a designer and absolutely committed to 'form follows function' and packaging 'understatement' to focus on the essence of the product.

But correct me if I am wrong, you are looking at dropping a whopping $8k to $10k to get setup with BHSE and HPs? Or am I mistaken here?

Depends. Some peopel go for the SR-009, I'm actually more fond of the SR-007 Mk. I, which sells for a lot cheaper. That mean that I'm looking at 9k, because I ordered the BHSE with the Alps RK50.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #7,003 of 9,902

The Yggdrasil is tentatively scheduled for release on the 9th of April, though there were a few production problems and it's uncertain if it will be available at that time. That being said, the BoM and design are compeltely finalized, parts are ordered and in warehouses, etc. First run is 250 units.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #7,004 of 9,902
Hi all,

I have this question regarding volume setting and read a few threads without a firm answer.

Currently I am playing SACD ISO/Loseless Flacs on my pc JRiver media center -->

PS Audio Perfectwave MKII via eithernet/network connection -->

BHSE via XLR cable -->

Stax SR-007 MkI

My question is that what volume setting at each component (Computer, DAC, BHSE) would be present the best SQ (least distortion)?

Currently Computer @ 100%, DAC @ 50%, BHSE @ 10 o'clock to 11.5 o'clock for most recordings.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #7,005 of 9,902

PS Audio are biased a-priori, it's their livelihood. Certainly they are trying to sell their products, what they think one way or another doesn't matter. 

My stuff is plugged into my APC regenerating UPS for my computer systems (I mostly listen while I work). Don't hear a difference to the wall, and the UPS prevents all surges, dropouts and glitches from house appliances, which is exactly what you'd want from a power system. 

What's funny about audio voodoo is how it always matches what your common sense would think it should be. For example as above, people who think a power regenerator limits dynamics. Why dynamics? Why not soundstage? Why not texture/tone? Conveniently wall power is associated with power delivery (but I'd bet most people who hear a difference couldn't explain how), so naturally regenerators limit dynamics. But why not increase dynamics? My UPS has a big fatty battery sitting these, a beautiful reservoir of electrons, way more than are off in some long power wire, eh? 

Whatever, people believe all sorts of stuff. Sorry, I shouldn't be arguing. 

Interesting.  I was wondering about if it is okay to put something like the APC BR1500G to the wall and connect the DAC and BHSE only to the UPS backup.  Maybe this is doable and safe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back