Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Nov 11, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #6,362 of 9,899
Shipping 2 racks of BHSE this weeek. The last 115v for a while. Next week 230v shipping starts (and 100v)

Thanks for the update J.

Mind telling us the most recent order date your shipping this week?

Wondering if I'm getting close 
gs1000.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #6,364 of 9,899
Hey,

Does anyone know the approximate cutoff date for the new/last batch? Its a pretty big sum for me (college student), would therefore like to hold off putting the deposit as long as possible.

It's based on numbers, not a date. So if the quota is filled you won't be in the next batch. No idea what the number is or where its at, but Justin has indicated here or elsewhere that its certainly more than 60% sold. If you really want one you shouldn't delay.

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #6,365 of 9,899
Finally got mine up and running.

Feeding directly via Synology Nas to PWD MkII to BHSE and out of SR-007.

Are BHSE supposed to run noise free?

The reason that I am asking this as there is a noise like something is vibrating from the main unit with the tubes.  Kind of like you hear when a light bulb is going bad.  

Otherwise, liking it so far and the shipping box minor damage hasn't done anything visible to my unit.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #6,367 of 9,899
I just got an email from Justin asking me to choose the color of my BHSE.

From you guys' experience, when this email is sent, approximately how close do you think the BHSE is to being done? Or is it completely random and there is no way of knowing?

I was wondering if an email like this might be a cue that it will be completed soon... or maybe not.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #6,368 of 9,899
Looks like all my and Golfnutz's posts on Mesa Boogie and tube rattle have gone to waste. My last post mentioning the the MBs was only last month. A simple serach of "Mesa Boogie" would have found them all. Sigh....

One new piece of information: Even my xf2's rattle a bit. In fact, their rattle is the most persistent of all the tubes I've tried. Not the loudest, but the most persistent. The loudest were the MBs initially, but they eventually became silent after one or two hundred hours use. Which just goes to show that going the vintage route is no guarantee of anything. It also seems that, for some BHSE owners at least, tube rattle is something that we might just have to put up with.

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #6,369 of 9,899
I just got an email from Justin asking me to choose the color of my BHSE.

From you guys' experience, when this email is sent, approximately how close do you think the BHSE is to being done? Or is it completely random and there is no way of knowing?

I was wondering if an email like this might be a cue that it will be completed soon... or maybe not.

That's pretty much the order acknowledgement. Every batch is different, but asking that question here will generate answers of a year to two. But it is dependent on the various vendors that Justin works with. There were several large delay factors for the current shipping batches that Justin has worked around for the 4th, so with luck this (last?) batch will go quicker. A batch of fake transistors, or sub-standard (and Justin has high standards) aluminum front panels, and delays happen.

Don't get in a hurry yet.

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #6,370 of 9,899
...Which just goes to show that going the vintage route is no guarantee of anything. It also seems that, for some BHSE owners at least, tube rattle is something that we might just have to put up with.

I can't imagine spending this kind of dough and having a less than perfect set up. I know the magic glow of tubes etc... I'm usually not asking for trouble that's why I am in the GSX-MkII batch currently in progress. Apart from having a HD800 and not a SR-009 obviously.

Searching for tubes, getting duds, having rattle, having one tube of a rare matched NOS quad go bad, trying tube silencers, adjusting the plate current ... I guess this is all part of the fun
tongue.gif
. I prefer to listen to music and not going through continued troubles with equipment - or more specificly just parts of the equipment. If you consider it part of the journey after 2+ years of waiting, ok - just not my cup of tea.
Never mind, enjoy your ride
beerchug.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #6,371 of 9,899
Well, there for the yggy fund...

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #6,372 of 9,899
I guess this is all part of the fun
tongue.gif

Yes it is part of the fun.

When things take a downturn then not so much fun any more, but the upturns make it all worthwhile.

Nobody is forced to obsess about details, but for us OCD types it's good to have the choice :xf_eek:)

Rather like the Aga cooker affect in country kitchens, if my BHSE is not glowing quietly in the corner, my whole living room just doesn't seem quite as inviting.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #6,373 of 9,899
  Looks like all my and Golfnutz's posts on Mesa Boogie and tube rattle have gone to waste. My last post mentioning the the MBs was only last month. A simple serach of "Mesa Boogie" would have found them all. Sigh....

One new piece of information: Even my xf2's rattle a bit. In fact, their rattle is the most persistent of all the tubes I've tried. Not the loudest, but the most persistent. The loudest were the MBs initially, but they eventually became silent after one or two hundred hours use. Which just goes to show that going the vintage route is no guarantee of anything. It also seems that, for some BHSE owners at least, tube rattle is something that we might just have to put up with.

Hi Attorney and others,

Thanks for the input and I did read your post regarding about best-bang-for-the-buck Mesa hence my question on the STR-450 series.  Your posts were all about 447s and I thought to ask if anyone tried the 450s as nothing useful came up with the search.  A set like your XF2 double halos would cost anywhere from 3~800 nowadays.  How do you like the XF2s?

As for the rattle with stock Mullards on BHSE, I don't even know how to call it at the first place but I will read into it then.  This is my first stereo setup so go easy on this newbie. :)

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #6,374 of 9,899

I doubt biasing makes a difference here but are your tubes biased properly?  When you say rattle do you mean debris inside the tube is causing a rattle?  Not that I recommend you try it, but if you can hear the tube's noise through the headphone as in tapping it with a pencil eraser (gentle dinggg noise) while powered on, then it is referred to as microphoinic but does not necessarily indicate a bad tube.

IME the loose debris/mica/glass is somewhat common for old tubes, just like crappy print on the glass or crookedness or different height of glass it's all part of the deal.  Some tubes I've had with loose mica/glass inside worked flawlessly, others were duds.  If it's working right you shouldn't hear any rattle irregardless of loose particles.  I've had some tubes that sound great for a few moments then develop terrible crackly noises after 10-20 minutes; clearly bad tube.

It's a lottery really, not a fun gamble!

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #6,375 of 9,899
I have received my Spritzer built BHSE (mjölnir audio) and I prefer it to the KGSS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back