Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Nov 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #6,331 of 9,899
Cleaning it properly and giving it a coat with zapon lacquer will keep it looking nice
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #6,333 of 9,899
  Wow, your computer consumes 750W!
Bitcoin mining? 
wink_face.gif

4k resolution gaming, so I actually tend to lose money over time this way.

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #6,334 of 9,899
My BHSE arrived last week and I've had a few nights of listening.  

It's hard to compare back to back, as I sold my previous electrostatic amp, a Woo WES, 1.5 years ago to prepare for the 'imminent' arrival of the BHSE.  I almost cannot believe it's actually here, in my media room, sitting on my custom-built shelf.

The quality is top top tier. I don't think you will find any better quality of components out there - from the way the switches feel to the look of the polished aluminum face plates.

A word of caution with the Stax jacks though - I managed to chip off a piece of the plastic insulating material off one of them, because I pulled the headphone cord down, and it put stress on the connector and broke off a piece.  I don't think it will affect it at all, and I will bond it back.  But just so you are aware, those connectors are quite fragile.

The sound quality?  I actually don't remember much about how the Woo WES sounded like since I haven't had it for 1.5 years, but I do remember the noise and hum-like sounds that the WES had.  The BHSE has nothing of the sort.  It's dead quiet with XLR inputs, and very quiet with RCA.  

(The WES is unusable with RCA inputs, by the way.  It's a flaw in the design and shouldn't even have unbalanced inputs.  The quality of the materials and fit and finish of the WES is incomparable to the BHSE.  The BHSE blows it away.  As a manufacturing engineer, I suspect the WES is actually made in China, even though Jack Woo markets it as made in the USA.  No way.)

In short, the BHSE is magnificent, and I highly commend Justin on pulling off a top-tier piece that compares favorably with the best there is anywhere.

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #6,338 of 9,899
  A word of caution with the Stax jacks though - I managed to chip off a piece of the plastic insulating material off one of them, because I pulled the headphone cord down, and it put stress on the connector and broke off a piece.  I don't think it will affect it at all, and I will bond it back.  But just so you are aware, those connectors are quite fragile.

Had this happen to me once with an authentic Stax jack.  I don't know if Yamas still sells them but I got a replacement jack for $50.  Curious to know what jacks you have with your amp?

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #6,339 of 9,899
They are black jacks.

I recall reading in this thread that Justin no longer uses Stax jacks, as they are not available?

I didn't apply a lot of force- I got up from my couch (the amp is above and behind me), and as I did so, the Stax cord got pulled down, and this put downward pressure on the jack.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #6,340 of 9,899
They are black jacks.

I recall reading in this thread that Justin no longer uses Stax jacks, as they are not available?

I didn't apply a lot of force- I got up from my couch (the amp is above and behind me), and as I did so, the Stax cord got pulled down, and this put downward pressure on the jack.

Stax doesn't sell their jacks, to try to discourage competition with amps. Justin ran out of his stock of them a while ago, current jacks are custom made just for him.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #6,341 of 9,899
Just want to be clear that it was entirely my fault.  Just letting you know to be careful with the Stax jacks on your new BHSE.  
I have now designed a 'strain relief' for the headphone cord, so that it will not put and undue force on the jack.

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #6,342 of 9,899
  Just want to be clear that it was entirely my fault.  Just letting you know to be careful with the Stax jacks on your new BHSE.  
I have now designed a 'strain relief' for the headphone cord, so that it will not put and undue force on the jack.

Pics?

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #6,344 of 9,899
I hope not, else it would mean my 100V went through the cracks ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back