Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Nov 7, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #6,348 of 9,902
Very nice, I have plenty of those lying around from my tabletop days.

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #6,350 of 9,902
  Has anyone seen / heard from Justin lately?  

Heard from him a week ago when he was too busy to come to the DC meet.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #6,352 of 9,902
The next run is likely going to be the last production run for the BHSE before it's discontinued for good, so I put my 1/4 deposit a couple days ago. This is going to be the 2nd BHSE I own, and I wonder if there will be any changes compared to my earlier unit (which I had regrettably sold). In the meantime, I'll be rocking with Spritzer's latest KGSSHV for a couple years until the BHSE arrives.

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #6,353 of 9,902

I'm glad I didn't make a real effort to change to a black faceplate

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #6,355 of 9,902

I'm glad I didn't make a real effort to change to a black faceplate

Spectral SDR2000... (heavy breathing)

Honestly, if I had to give up one thing between that and the BHSE, I would choose the latter.
That's how I regard that DAC. You sir are very fortunate to own such a magnificent piece of gear.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #6,358 of 9,902
I am having a problem with hum from the BHSE driven with my Audible Illusions Modulus 3B. When I replace the BHSE with my Stax T1, there is no hum, so it's not inherently an issue with the Mod3.  When I play my Bryston BDA-2 into the BHSE, there is no hum, so it's not inherently an issue with the BHSE.   All the cables are RCA (no XLR).  The hum exists with the volume on the Mod3 set to zero, and with any source selected.  I have defeated the power cord ground for Mod3, BHSE, and both, with no difference.  With the grounds defeated I have flipped the polarity on the power cords, with no difference.  I am not using a power conditioner.  I have tried running a ground cable from the Mod3 to the BHSE with no effect.  I have tried 3 pairs of RCA cables, with no effect.  I just realized that turning up the gain on the Mod3 and turning down the gain on the BHSE should be a winning strategy, and will try that, although it does not address the root cause.

Can anyone suggest something else I might try?  Justin?  Spritzer?  Kevin?

As stated above, this is probably a rather peculiar problem, so PMs might be appropriate.

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #6,359 of 9,902
The effort to put together a coherent query to this forum about the hum paid off hugely.  The idea of redistributing the gain in the audio chain hit me while writing.  It is most effective.  I had known the hum was there, from queueing up lps, but it largely disappeared from consciousness when the lp noise and signal commenced.  However, the audible performance without the hum is substantially better in terms of separating musical lines, portraying instruments (including human voice) as themselves, separating instruments and choirs, etc.  In retrospect, duh!

However, the need for redistributing the gain is still puzzling, and I would appreciate any suggestions to further reduce it.  The current solution can have a down side, overloading, even if I haven't hit or noticed it, yet.

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #6,360 of 9,902
  Spectral, nice.  When did you get it?

Off ebay maybe 8 months ago, paid a little too much. I need to look into recapping it and redoing some of the internal ribbon cabling. Spectral wanted to charge me 1k for servicing, debating whether to go down that route or not. 

I placed a big RF heatsink on top of the power supply while I figure out what to do on that end. The PSU gets pretty hot, the DAC also gets hot enough to melt its own silicone feet (which I've since tossed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back