Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Oct 25, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #6,212 of 9,899
There's a black version on audiogon too at the moment, songmic you have choices :)

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #6,213 of 9,899
OK, after 2.5 years my BHSE arrived last week.  I haven't had time to set it up until tonight.  Set it up in my rack and tried to turn it on.  Nothing!  The power switch appears to be broken.  All wobbly etc.  To say I'm upset is an understatement!  Now I have to send it back and wait for it to be fixed.  How long will that take?

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #6,214 of 9,899
I thought it comes with quite a sturdy packaging, did the box arrive wrecked? I can't imagine what kind of shock could cause this!!

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #6,215 of 9,899
Mine arrived yesterday, and I set it up last night.  It is the dark gray; in fit and finish it puts all my other equipment to shame.  I plugged in my Stax 900, which has sat in its box for two years, and was relieved to hear that there was no imbalance issue.  I spent a couple of hours A/Bing the Stax gear against my HD 800 and  Eddie Current Super 7.  I connected the Stax gear through the Marantz's balanced output and the HD setup through the RCA output, using silver cables that differed only in the plugs.  It was pretty easy to yank off one set of phones and put the other on.

My initial impression is that the two sets of gear have similar tonal signatures and huge resolving power.  After awhile, and perhaps owing to the BHSE's having warmed up, I became aware that the Stax gear was doing a number of things better.  For instance, even though my tube complement on the Super 7 has taken the edge off the HD 800's treble and boosted its bass response, a vocal passage by a jazz singer had sibilance that did not show up on the Stax gear.  It also seemed to me that the Stax gear had higher resolution, including in the treble region, which was pretty interesting since this was accomplished without repeating the occasional sibilance of the HD 800.  It was clear to me that the singer's inflections were coming across more clearly through the Stax gear.  I also listened to some classical, but by that point I was getting tired of the A/B stuff and just felt like listening to the music. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #6,216 of 9,899
I thought it comes with quite a sturdy packaging, did the box arrive wrecked? I can't imagine what kind of shock could cause this!!

I'm sure it must have occurred in shipping.  I can't believe it would leave Justin's shop this way.  The box looks fine except there is a small dent and tear in the cardboard on one of the bottom edges.  That being said, the packing seems like it could withstand a pretty good beating without any damage.  Maybe the box was dropped from a good distance!  What a drag!

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #6,217 of 9,899
Really unfortunate, hope that gets resolved sooner than later for you...

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #6,218 of 9,899

I'm sure it must have occurred in shipping.  I can't believe it would leave Justin's shop this way.  The box looks fine except there is a small dent and tear in the cardboard on one of the bottom edges.  That being said, the packing seems like it could withstand a pretty good beating without any damage.  Maybe the box was dropped from a good distance!  What a drag!

can you send me a photo of this? i actually found a power switch that was broken during assembly, but that one got thrown out. They're NKK switches which are not cheap. These amps got turned on/off 25 times during testing, so it wasnt damaged here. Maybe something happened that I did not get to see. will send you an email

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Oct 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #6,219 of 9,899
Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm assuming you want a picture of the box damage correct?  The switch is definitely screwed up.  It basically moves in all directions!

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #6,222 of 9,899
Mine is headed to the burn in rack for a week! Just about there.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #6,224 of 9,899
Nice Vette!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back