Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jul 15, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #5,611 of 9,902
Let's get back on topic.

Justin when will the next batch ship. Not the one you are working on now.

JK

ROFL and
deadhorse.gif

heh, haven't used that one in a while...
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #5,612 of 9,902
Hello everyone. This is my first post on here on this site. I have just been lurking up to now, and I’m not the talkative type, but I thought I should introduce myself and join some conversations. Actually, let me open by asking a question that perhaps someone has some experience with. Hopefully this is not already addressed somewhere in this immensive thread… I have the BHSE on order (USA version) and I was wondering if anyone knows if the PSU is adjustable to 220 (from the US 115V). I travel frequently between the US and Europe and I am wondering if I could use the amp in Europe natively with the PSU or, alternatively, if it would be possible to use a step down converter (feasibility with this kind of equipment, impact on sound signature, etc). I did ask Justin, but I am reading here he is busy fending of lawsuits and getting our batch ready (which is much much more important lol). Thanks in advance for any tips/knowledge. 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #5,614 of 9,902
Hello everyone. This is my first post on here on this site. I have just been lurking up to now, and I’m not the talkative type, but I thought I should introduce myself and join some conversations. Actually, let me open by asking a question that perhaps someone has some experience with. Hopefully this is not already addressed somewhere in this immensive thread… I have the BHSE on order (USA version) and I was wondering if anyone knows if the PSU is adjustable to 220 (from the US 115V). I travel frequently between the US and Europe and I am wondering if I could use the amp in Europe natively with the PSU or, alternatively, if it would be possible to use a step down converter (feasibility with this kind of equipment, impact on sound signature, etc). I did ask Justin, but I am reading here he is busy fending of lawsuits and getting our batch ready (which is much much more important lol). Thanks in advance for any tips/knowledge. :smile_phones:  

The PSU is not adjustable by changing a switch which is why you need to specify which voltage you want when ordering. However it isn't terribly hard for someone to switch between voltage themselves. Check on page 239 on this thread for more detailed answer to how to switch.

After reading about the procedure, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, I would recommend a step up transformer vs step down. IE you use a step up to always power the bhse at 230. I actually know some people who power all their amps at 230 here in US as they think the higher native voltage helps the sound. Step up transformers range in cost snd ability. The top end being a power regenerator like the ps audio power plant where it is actually regenerating the power and not just "fixing/filtering" it. Power regenerators basically take many of the issues around clean power coming from your walls out of the equation.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #5,615 of 9,902

i'm going to continue to post pics of the BHSEs burning in over the next 2 weeks

I don't know about anyone else, but my appetitie is whetted for a picture of tables of BHSEs happily burning in.

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #5,616 of 9,902
Let's get back on topic.

Justin when will the next batch ship. Not the one you are working on now.

JK

Here's the timeline for that right now. 
- About a month ago I received aluminum for the next batch of GS-X mk2 front panels, had it tested, got the samples a week ago, it looks good. So now I can order the same thing for the BHSE. Which means probably I'll have it in 3 months. Once i have the bars, machining will take about a month, and metal finishing could take one or two months.
- The last of the components needed for the circuit boards should be here in August. Circuit board assembly will take one or two months.
- The transformers will probably arrive in September
- All of the enclosure parts for powder coating are on a boat right now and will arrive end of this month. Powder coating will probably take one or two months.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #5,617 of 9,902
Thanks Justin and Crashem for the fast feedback. Seems easy enough either way with the power consumption. Last time I did anything with jumpers, it was on a motherboard. Doesn’t sound like you could use jumper caps for this so I think I’ll use a step converter if I move it.. just not sure I’d feel comfortable soldering on Justin’s art work. I would be way to nervous and mess everything up lol 
confused_face.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #5,618 of 9,902

I was able to borrow PV tubes from one of the member here and did like it a great deal.  However, it lost out to my NOS Mullard EL34 in clarity, transparency, details as well as soundstage depth despite offering fatter bass lines & warmer over all tonality.  In a way, the PV made my BHSE a bit more punchy and inline with my 500V KGSSHV.  I however do feel that my NOS Mullards EL34s are more refined sounding over all and better fit for my system.  One should also remember that both David & Corvette_Garage are both using a top notch digital front-end that may just mate better with the PV tubes.  In my case, I do like my NOS EL34 better.  David should really give a Quad of Mullards a try and report back.  You don't need to get a NOS, a used quad with good rating will last a long long time..

Been listening to the xf3’s for most of the week (well, 3 xf3’s and 1 xf4, but 2 matched pairs).

Have to say, I agree with most of your comments Purk. You’ve summed up the differences very well.

On my system, I think the PV’s sounded a tad bit cleaner (not necessarily better).  I also think the PV’s are more forward, which would allow you to hear more bass since everything is closer. I actually thought the bass was much tighter on the NOS Mullards, but due to the soundstage, it’s just set back a bit.

I can see why anyone would prefer the NOS Mullards to everything else, as none of the current stuff can compete with the soundstage the NOS tubes offer (along with the added details and resolution).

If I was being critical, the one thing I did find, is that on some songs the additional details and resolution would highlight defects in the recording. Heard this a few times on the same CD where there was a short period of cymbals being played. It was almost borderline annoying, but felt it was due to the CD recording and not the tubes. They just sounded too up front and isolated from everything else (sort of a distraction). Playback with other tubes didn't come across the same way. The cymbals blended in better (probably due to less soundstage).

So after a week of listening to the xf3’s, I decided to put the Mesa Boogie’s back in to see how bad they compared to the NOS Mullards. Yeah, the Mullards are better, but I haven’t taken the MB’s out yet, so I think that’s saying something (again, not recommending anyone try these).

@TheAttorney – any updates on the MB’s?

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #5,620 of 9,902
With the NOS Mullard's apparently having more detail, transparency and clarity than the PV-PH's, using the BHSE how do the highs sound when using those NOS's ?

So far my experience has been somewhere in the middle from what you've heard so far with the various tubes you have used. But you'd have to hear them to get a sense of what I mean. They don't come across like what you've heard in extreme cases, it's more like it's noticeable, but not distracting. First time I heard them I really got a sense that these were tubes gushing with confidence (hard for me to describe it any other way).

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #5,621 of 9,902
@TheAttorney – any updates on the MB’s?

Yes, they are settling in very nicely indeed. Still probably in burn in stage (around 50 hrs) although I haven't noticed any changes for a while. When I first put them in, I though they sounded more up front and punchier than the PHs. Now the MBs seemed to have smoothed out slightly, which is good, but the bass punch seems to have smoothed out as well (but still the tightest bass of all the models I've tried).
In short, they seem to have grown closer to the PHs. I don't know if this is a real change or just me getting used to them - will find out when I eventually swap the PHs back in. Memory is a fickle thing, so I can only be conclusive after the swap back.

Nevertheless, at this point, with a SQ at least as good as the PHs, but without the free firework displays and at less than half the price, I'm very happy with the MBs.
And, apart from the first 10 minutes of very mild switch-on buzz, they are now totally silent, so my earlier rattlesnake joke no longer applies.

Strangely enough, I recently came across a matched quad of used xf3s at a UK dealer for £175, and I was sorely tempted. But the readings were mediocre compared to top NOS, implying that they'd been around the block a few times. So as I don't have any issues with the MBs, I gave the oldies a miss. I'm Interested to see how you continue to compare the xf3s against the MBs.

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #5,622 of 9,902
So far my experience has been somewhere in the middle from what you've heard so far with the various tubes you have used. But you'd have to hear them to get a sense of what I mean. They don't come across like what you've heard in extreme cases, it's more like it's noticeable, but not distracting. First time I heard them I really got a sense that these were tubes gushing with confidence (hard for me to describe it any other way).

I'd very much like to try NOS Mullard's with my BHSE, but not only do they seem rare, but when available quite expensive, plus with my source being very detailed ( IMO ) I'm not sure if the extra detail from the NOS Mullard's would be needed, but like said I'd like to find out.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #5,623 of 9,902
I'd very much like to try NOS Mullard's with my BHSE, but not only do they seem rare, but when available quite expensive, plus with my source being very detailed ( IMO ) I'm not sure if the extra detail from the NOS Mullard's would be needed, but like said I'd like to find out.

Not really anything to do with the DAC, although a better DAC certainly helps.

For sure there’s added details, but not that much really (compared to PV’s). The biggest difference is the resolution of each instrument and the impact that has in a song (more dynamic).

The PV’s are still very good, but you might like the NOS Mullards better due to the overall presentation.

I’ll probably use the MB’s during the day while I’m working and the xf3 tubes at night when I’m more focused.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #5,624 of 9,902
  Not really anything to do with the DAC, although a better DAC certainly helps.

For sure there’s added details, but not that much really (compared to PV’s). The biggest difference is the resolution of each instrument and the impact that has in a song (more dynamic).

The PV’s are still very good, but you might like the NOS Mullards better due to the overall presentation.

I’ll probably use the MB’s during the day while I’m working and the xf3 tubes at night when I’m more focused.

Thanks for posting your comments.  I'm glad someone is able to confirm my findings.  I do like the PV tubes a great deal on my BHSE but ultimately I prefer the presentation of the Nos Mullards better.  I do agree with you that the voicing on the PV is more upfront compared to the NOS tubes.  One of the area that I find the SR009 a tad lacking is the soundstage width & depth and the NOS tubes that I'm using able to enhancethe depth & width by a considerable degree.  For David, it may not matters b/c his source easily out class mine.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5,625 of 9,902
I am still wondering about the reliability and longevity of the PV tubes; sound notwithstanding...I know from experience that NOS (UK) Mullards were built for the long-haul. 

With that being said I do not have any to use in the BHSE at the moment but from what I gather in that circuit they should last many, many years.

So yes, still more expensive than a set of the PV's but not outrageously so; and with this level of amplification the difference in price becomes even more negligible, relatively speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back