Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jul 19, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #5,626 of 9,896
Not exactly the same, but I have a tubed DAC which uses 5687 tubes (small pre amp types. I tried many
new manufacture as well as many NOS and in almost all cases the NOS tubes were much better.
In my case, the 1958 Tungsols were slightly better to a lot better than everything else NOS,
and wiped the floor with new manufacturer that I tried.

I would not say they were brighter or more detailed, rather more sophisticated and smoother especially in
the treble. It is easy / less risky with pre-amp tuibes as they run at less volts and typically last 3000 - 4000 hours.

Buying NOS power amp tubes may be more challenging, but if you can get a good quad set from a reputable
dealer, they will I am sure, outlast new manufacture by a good margin.

I have never had a tube callapse with NOS.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #5,627 of 9,896
  I am still wondering about the reliability and longevity of the PV tubes; sound notwithstanding...I know from experience that NOS (UK) Mullards were built for the long-haul. 

With that being said I do not have any to use in the BHSE at the moment but from what I gather in that circuit they should last many, many years.

So yes, still more expensive than a set of the PV's but not outrageously so; and with this level of amplification the difference in price becomes even more negligible, relatively speaking.

Different perspective...

For someone who's listening 8 - 10 hours (per day) during the week, I would rather find something more cost effective during work hours when I'm not so focused on the music.

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #5,628 of 9,896
  I am still wondering about the reliability and longevity of the PV tubes; sound notwithstanding...I know from experience that NOS (UK) Mullards were built for the long-haul. 

With that being said I do not have any to use in the BHSE at the moment but from what I gather in that circuit they should last many, many years.

So yes, still more expensive than a set of the PV's but not outrageously so; and with this level of amplification the difference in price becomes even more negligible, relatively speaking.

i've never had someone with a BHSE tell me they had a problem with one of the stock Mullard re-issue (Russian) EL34s. if i shipped with PV tubes, it would probably be a disaster. I don't know how much profit would be enough for that to be something i would ever consider. 

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 19, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #5,629 of 9,896
  i've never had someone with a BHSE tell me they had a problem with one of the stock Mullard re-issue (Russian) EL34s. if i shipped with PV tubes, it would probably be a disaster. I don't know how much profit would be enough for that to be something i would ever consider. 

Given all the comments here about EL34 PH and other PV tubes, that sounds like a wise decision.  BTW I wanted to upgrade to the Shuguang Treasures if you are still doing that.  My email is in the stack there somewhere.

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #5,630 of 9,896
  Thanks for posting your comments.  I'm glad someone is able to confirm my findings.  I do like the PV tubes a great deal on my BHSE but ultimately I prefer the presentation of the Nos Mullards better.  I do agree with you that the voicing on the PV is more upfront compared to the NOS tubes.  One of the area that I find the SR009 a tad lacking is the soundstage width & depth and the NOS tubes that I'm using able to enhancethe depth & width by a considerable degree.  For David, it may not matters b/c his source easily out class mine.

Purk, I believe your BHSE's current EL34 tubes are Holland-made XF3 (Sittard, Netherlands), not the British-made Mullard (Blackburn factory) XF3. Not sure whether yours may be the same XF3 design licensed from Mullard, perhaps with much of the tooling also from Mullard, but with a different base and getter. Both are excellent tubes, though there are likely to be some sonic differences that will come down to personal preference. This guy seems to love your Holland XF3's, in fact preferring them to the British Blackburns:
http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20EL34/EL34.htm

When I had speaker amps that ran EL34, I had some Blackburn XF2 and XF3; they were awesome but also quite warm sounding, and thus not a great match for systems that were already warm (that would not describe the typical BHSE/009 setup, btw). 

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #5,633 of 9,896
  At least I think that is what he is still using, but I may be wrong?

Interesting XF history here, I have 6 sets of the earlier XF4s:

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20EL34/EL34.htm

Ah yes, you're correct...and I believe Purk told me XF4 as well, but somehow my brain is scrambling small details more than usual as of late :frowning2:
The Holland-made brown-base double D-getter EL34 on that page are exactly what Purk's tubes look like.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #5,634 of 9,896
  Given all the comments here about EL34 PH and other PV tubes, that sounds like a wise decision.  BTW I wanted to upgrade to the Shuguang Treasures if you are still doing that.  My email is in the stack there somewhere.

I expect the PHs were never on the cards for Justin, since the quality issues were raised very early on - and we all know Justin's views on quality.
However, if Justin waits a while longer for a few more impressions of the MBs, and those impressions stay positive, then he really does need to give them a go, maybe as option for the next batch. IMO, they are so comfortably ahead of the Treasures and at less than half the price, that it's a no brainer.

However, Rico613, if you still want the Treasures anyway, you can have mine at a bargain price. They have been operationally faultless and they sound better than stock, but I've got no reason to keep them after having got used to the PHs and now MBs.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #5,636 of 9,896
That looks sick
biggrin.gif
I'd be worried about any coloration of the sound though
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #5,640 of 9,896
For those thinking of trying the MBs, but didn't take notes from the posts from a couple of weeks back, then see the section about colour coding in my post #5487.
You don't get the option to choose the colour when ordering from most suppliers, so you have to tell them. It seems to matter, as Golfnutz reckoned his Blues were smoother than the Greys.
I've only got the Blues (!), but had I understood the grading before ordering, I'd probably have gone for the Whites.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back