Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
May 13, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #5,207 of 9,902

i could have the company that makes (outsources..) production of the board order the parts and do the assembly. I don't do the assembly. But I do provide the parts to a company that assembles the boards. Typically, if I want them to provide the parts for me, they charge a 20% premium on the parts for this, and they aren't going to shop around, it's not their money. It took me about 1 day to order the parts which were $12k. So they probably would have paid $15k for the parts + 20% = $18k. So I saved $6k for doing the parts ordering myself in 1 day's work. i know my time is limited but i cant see how something like that isn't worth doing.

Maybe for some companies the appeal is cash flow as they wouldn't have to pay for any of this until 30 days after receiving assembled boards.

Hello Justin

It's obvious to me now that making high-end HI-FI components is a very hard job... And what about the shipping of blue-front-panel BHSEs?

May 13, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #5,208 of 9,902

i could have the company that makes (outsources..) production of the board order the parts and do the assembly. I don't do the assembly. But I do provide the parts to a company that assembles the boards. Typically, if I want them to provide the parts for me, they charge a 20% premium on the parts for this, and they aren't going to shop around, it's not their money. It took me about 1 day to order the parts which were $12k. So they probably would have paid $15k for the parts + 20% = $18k. So I saved $6k for doing the parts ordering myself in 1 day's work. i know my time is limited but i cant see how something like that isn't worth doing.

Maybe for some companies the appeal is cash flow as they wouldn't have to pay for any of this until 30 days after receiving assembled boards.

"But I do provide the parts to a company that assembles the boards."

Please Justin confirm that you check the parts on the boards you get back once assembled are the ones you provided, and not low-cost components... Some outsourcers are dishonest, to an extent that is hard to imagine.

May 16, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #5,212 of 9,902

Please Justin confirm that you check the parts on the boards you get back once assembled are the ones you provided, and not low-cost components... Some outsourcers are dishonest, to an extent that is hard to imagine.

Have you heard of circuit gnomes?

The are like regular gnomes but these have a fetish for electric components, they like to sneak into your equipment at night and replace one part at a time with one that is slightly below manufacturer's specification.

The only way to really be sure you aren't becoming a victim of circuit gnomes is to check every component inside your equipment before you start listening to music.

May 16, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #5,213 of 9,902

Have you heard of circuit gnomes?

The are like regular gnomes but these have a fetish for electric components, they like to sneak into your equipment at night and replace one part at a time with one that is slightly below manufacturer's specification.

The only way to really be sure you aren't becoming a victim of circuit gnomes is to check every component inside your equipment before you start listening to music.

This gnome really looks like Kelvin Gilmore... rather intriguing, don't you think so?

May 16, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #5,215 of 9,902

"organic sound"... I suggest that you listen to Serge Gainsbourg's Evguenie Sokolov

Cult place. Gainsbourg is a very close neighbour of my dad at Montparnasse's cemetery since 1991 
redface.gif

What about a BHSE with such a colourful front plate ? 
biggrin.gif

Ali

May 18, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #5,220 of 9,902

He knows that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back