Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jan 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #4,561 of 9,899

Sorry to hear that.

Actually, the tubes I use are the Psvane EL34PH (still the same quad as last year), not the Type II.

Grand Fidelity does do testing prior to shipping from China (I believe they have the Amplitrex as well, it mentioned on their site somewhere).

This is why I don't recommend buying Shuguang or Psvane from Ebay, seems to be way too many failures for all their tubes, not just the EL34's.

Right, sorry to confuse, my point was I am hesitant to buy PSVANE again. But.... Grant Fidelity cost is worth the testing and matching they are doing, instead of messing around with various Chinese re-sellers.

Also, the New Sensor KT77 (Genalex re-issue) is a tube you could consider too. My amp has a mod for EL34, but this KT77 is quite a tube. I may try them in this SET amp.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #4,563 of 9,899
Hmm, I was a rather late order in silver...

Thanks for the update Justin!

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #4,564 of 9,899
  update - the purple, blue, and gray parts are supposed to be shipping to me today. looks like this weekend i will be inspecting them.

this just leaves the remaining 70% of the silver parts

Justin,

Since I ordered a gray BHSE, I'm delighted to hear that these items should be on their way to you.  Could you provide some context--what remains to be done?

ctemkin

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #4,565 of 9,899
  Right, sorry to confuse, my point was I am hesitant to buy PSVANE again. But.... Grant Fidelity cost is worth the testing and matching they are doing, instead of messing around with various Chinese re-sellers.

Also, the New Sensor KT77 (Genalex re-issue) is a tube you could consider too. My amp has a mod for EL34, but this KT77 is quite a tube. I may try them in this SET amp.

I have purchased several  PSVANES from Grant over the years and they have all worked fine and have sounded great, just for the record here.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #4,566 of 9,899
Great news. I may try some KT77 re-issues first though. NOS Tesla matched was $70 for a pair. GF wants 225 for a pair of new stock replicas. Just seems like one of those instances where they are setting the price high purposefully. New stock pairs of Genalex are $75-90 for a pair. Do these Chinese tubes warrant double + the price.....color me hesitant.

Especially after TWO Psvane failures....

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #4,567 of 9,899
  Justin,

Since I ordered a gray BHSE, I'm delighted to hear that these items should be on their way to you.  Could you provide some context--what remains to be done?

ctemkin

laser engrave the front panels
mount the components onto the front panels (jacks which are already wired, front panel PCBs already assembled)
attach front, top, bottom panel to assembled amplifiers
test
test
test
ship

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #4,569 of 9,899
Thanks, I really appreciate the follow-up to the update.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #4,572 of 9,899
Amazing, the purple is not that far off the mockup posted here some time back, I can't distinguish actually! And it does look awesome. I have to stop watching these color variations as it makes me want to change my mind each and every time :wink:

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #4,574 of 9,899
I was told the silver version was a step below the black version in SQ.  Can someone confirm this.
wink_face.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #4,575 of 9,899
That was just a rumor started by some folks who were all too caught up in the aesthetics of things...  they lost track of the importance of not letting good looks get in the way of great sound.  

There is good reason it takes Justin longer to make the silver units... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back