Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Sep 14, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #9,661 of 9,899
Does anyone have a quick guide or a link to the youtube video Justin made about adjusting the DC offset voltage for the amp?

I can't seem to find that video anywhere and it's been a while and I don't remember how to do it.

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #9,662 of 9,899
Does anyone have a quick guide or a link to the youtube video Justin made about adjusting the DC offset voltage for the amp?

I can't seem to find that video anywhere and it's been a while and I don't remember how to do it.

Thanks.
You may follow the Head Case offset in the KGSSHV thread.
Alternatively contact Justin either through PM or email and ask for the video. It's private.

The reason he took it down was improper use case.

You shouldn't really require adjustments so may do more harm than good.

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #9,663 of 9,899
You may follow the Head Case offset in the KGSSHV thread.
Alternatively contact Justin either through PM or email and ask for the video. It's private.

The reason he took it down was improper use case.

You shouldn't really require adjustments so may do more harm than good.

Thanks for the response.

Can someone PM the video link then? Would appreciate it.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #9,664 of 9,899
Thanks for the response.

Can someone PM the video link then? Would appreciate it.
So I won't send a video, if another does, so be it.

There is a reason why Justin took it down.

However, the pinout is quite straightforward so if you're so inclined, you'll figure it out.

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #9,665 of 9,899
Question for the group here. I've replaced the input fuses (in the AC input) a few times with no issue. I think I may have a blown output fuse (left channel of the amp isn't working). I have the right tubes I believe to replace, but I thought I remembered reading that it may be a bit riskier?

Anyone have any insight here? Would prefer doing so if I can instead of sending the whole amp in, but I've also reached out to Justin here and headamp via email. Thanks in advance!

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #9,666 of 9,899
If the output fuse is blown I wouldn't think one channel would work. Sounds like a bad tube. Output fuses are generally designed to protect what is plugged into output socket. Or amp from a shorted cable being plugged in. I would start with tubes in the bad channel. Try swapping tubes from one side to the other, dead channel should follow if it is a tube. If it stays on left channel it's not the tube.

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #9,667 of 9,899
You can also test the fuses with a cheap ohm meter. Always a nice tool to have on hand.

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #9,668 of 9,899
If the output fuse is blown I wouldn't think one channel would work. Sounds like a bad tube. Output fuses are generally designed to protect what is plugged into output socket. Or amp from a shorted cable being plugged in. I would start with tubes in the bad channel. Try swapping tubes from one side to the other, dead channel should follow if it is a tube. If it stays on left channel it's not the tube.

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually have a second set of working tubes that I swapped out and tried. May still try swapping from one side to the other, but I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. I was hoping to just try replacing the output fuses as a hope and a prayer before sending it in--that is if it isn't riskier than the input fuse swaps.

Also thanks for the tip, I'll grab a meter for the future. :)

Sep 29, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #9,669 of 9,899
Just unplug the power supply and it should be safe. If the fuse is in the amp unplug the umbilical cable just to be sure no capacitors are holding a charge in the power supply.

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #9,671 of 9,899
HI,

I have a question regarding the use of the BHSE loop out outputs.

Part of my system is organized in the way you can see below in this terrible diagram (sorry about that).

Captura de Tela 2021-10-03 às 16.53.19.png

The preamplifier, to which the pair of single-ended monoblocks are connected, has pseudo-balanced inputs and it receives the signal from the balanced loop-out outputs of the BHSE.The question is this: by connecting the true balanced loop-out outputs of the BHSE to the pseudo-balanced outputs of the preamplifier, do I lose the benefits of the true-balanced connection between the DAC and the BHSE, does this make the whole system a single-ended system?

Thank you in advance if you can help.

Sandro

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #9,672 of 9,899
I could also use the two outputs of the DAC simultaneously, the balanced XLR output to the BHSE and the single-ended RCA output to the preamp, but it is precisely by doing this that I lose the benefits of the balanced connection between the DAC and the BHSE.

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #9,673 of 9,899
If your preamp isn't a true balanced design I don't think there is any real benefit of using the BHSE loop output. Unless you feel your DAC sounds better out of the balanced outputs.

Oct 3, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #9,674 of 9,899
Your BHSE is connected directly to the DAC, at least if I'm reading your diagram correctly. So your BHSE is recieving a balanced signal. What is connected to the loop out doesn't affect the BHSE. Hope this helps.

Oct 3, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #9,675 of 9,899
If your preamp isn't a true balanced design I don't think there is any real benefit of using the BHSE loop output. Unless you feel your DAC sounds better out of the balanced outputs.
Thanks for the reply.

My question is not whether I can get any benefit for my SE system through the loop outputs of the BHSE, but whether my electrostatic system will lose the benefits of the balanced connection with the DAC.

To know this, I would need to know how the BHSE's XLR loop outputs work and their relationship to the balanced inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back