Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jul 25, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #7,412 of 9,902
Hm, maybe he'll build the not-yet finished 845 DHT design that KG is working on.

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #7,414 of 9,902
not familiar with this but an 845 DHT e-stat amp would be a higher price bracket than a BHSE

It's still in the works, KG has teased a few details over the past few months. And yes, the price will be very high. The bom is apparently large and corners are nit being cut on quality.

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #7,416 of 9,902

there are still a few available. final assembly has started on those and with the silver front panels i just received i can start shipping that color first. the rest should be here in a few weeks.

for the prior batch, the last shipment of those is going out next week. they are finishing burn-in now.

and i have begun ordering the parts for the next-next batch -- since the batch being assembled now is nearly sold out, likely they will be all gone around the time i start shipping them. so, more is needed. this will absolutely be the last batch 

Thanks for the info Justin.
Auditioning the 009 in about a week, will decide then.
I did own a 007 with 727 before and wasn't really convinced I liked it better than my cans at the time. Maybe the 009 will change then and if it does my amp of choice would be a BHSE no matter if it's in the next batch with some spots available or in the last one after that.. If so, I'll let you know of course.

Edit: My mistake, the amp I woned was a 717.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #7,417 of 9,902

Thanks for the info Justin.
Auditioning the 009 in about a week, will decide then.
I did own a 007 with 727 before and wasn't really convinced I liked it better than my cans at the time. Maybe the 009 will change then and if it does my amp of choice would be a BHSE no matter if it's in the next batch with some spots available or in the last one after that.. If so, I'll let you know of course.

The 007 Mk I with stock 727 is a truly horrifically bad sounding pairing. The 007 Mk I with a BHSE is one of the all-time-great classic headphone system pairings -- sonic greatness. And the 009 is the greatest all-around headphone of all time. The good new is that your previous system was so bad, that you almost can't help but end up with something leagues better.

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #7,418 of 9,902
  The 007 Mk I with stock 727 is a truly horrifically bad sounding pairing.

With stock 727, SR-007 sound a bit bland, lacks dynamic, not very controlled in the bass and kinda shouty / harsh in the high mids / treble. I would'nt say they're horrific, but the so called weaknesses of the headphones are way too present, and it's undoubtly a (very) disappointing pairing for the price.
With my SRM-1/mk2, sound is more linear, no more bloating bass or harshness, but dynamics aren't really there neither, relaxing when I'm in a good mood, boring otherwise. You really want to kick them in the ass..."wake up, boyz !" 
redface.gif

I recently began to hear SR-007 shining with my modded 727, at last some pleasant dynamics and linear FR (with a not too weak source, gain is low on SRM-727), but their "sound-behind-a-tainted-glass" nature is still there.
I'll wait for the arrival of my BHSE, but until now, I'm not really convinced SR-007 are able to reach the slam (especially in the bass...slam, not amount of !) and the lovely involving nature of SR-009.

Ali

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #7,420 of 9,902
  With stock 727, SR-007 sound a bit bland, lacks dynamic, not very controlled in the bass and kinda shouty / harsh in the high mids / treble. I would'nt say they're horrific, but the so called weaknesses of the headphones are way too present, and it's undoubtly a (very) disappointing pairing for the price.
With my SRM-1/mk2, sound is more linear, no more bloating bass or harshness, but dynamics aren't really there neither, relaxing when I'm in a good mood, boring otherwise. You really want to kick them in the ass..."wake up, boyz !" 
redface.gif

I recently began to hear SR-007 shining with my modded 727, at last some pleasant dynamics and linear FR (with a not too weak source, gain is low on SRM-727), but their "sound-behind-a-tainted-glass" nature is still there.
I'll wait for the arrival of my BHSE, but until now, I'm not really convinced SR-007 are able to reach the slam (especially in the bass...slam, not amount of !) and the lovely involving nature of SR-009.

Ali

I have the 717 and the 007As (headphones bought from PJ a few weeks back) and I have to say it rocks. My 009 and KGSShv is obviously better, but the sound I am getting is not dull or boring at all, and the bass is fast and deep, good control even at loud listening levels. The current 007A is a bit more efficient than my 2 year old MK2 (Black version). So I would recommend using a 717 instead of the 727 or 323 or even the tube Stax amps, they all come up short IMO. I have come to love the 007s again!

Yes on a BHSE the 009 does sound great, but the 007A will scale up from being amped on a lower powered unit, IMO it is no slouch. On lesser systems with a less than stellar front end the 007 is forgiving, so as long as it has a decent amp it can be the heart of a nice system for a lot less cash IMO. The 009 it the ultimate but to be happy you need a top front end as well as the KGSShv / BHSE with your 009s or you will be back here asking questions why it sounds 'bright' or 'technical'.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #7,421 of 9,902
I should have been more specific : I'm talking about SR-007mk1.
I've read several times the more forward sound signature of mk2/A successors was precisely Stax's answer to mk1 critics when paired with Stax amps, 717 included.
Talking about amps, my 727 was measured @ 508 V RMS (factory specs 450 V) right after the mod (+ balance / offset settings), so I'm not sure how it could fall short compared to 717.
And BTW, I've never ever felt SR-009 were bright, even with very low DAC / amping. But I'm a kind of bright head, I do love Lambda Sig, so... 
redface.gif

Ali

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #7,425 of 9,902
  Hmmm, but won't that, like, increase the risk of dust getting to the drivers? Thereby reducing long term reliability?

Zolkis currently has a pad enhancement thread going, which suggests big improvements to the 007 SQ are possible

Yup.
wink.gif

I've been running my latest iteration of a DIY stat without dust covers on either side and have had no increase in buzzing in over a month.  This is while having them exposed to air (not in a box, for example) 24/7.  That can vary with environment, of course.

If you don't mind going through the arduous task of taking off/putting on O2 pads, you should check out the difference it makes.  FR should be more similar to 009, which will satisfy those that complain about the 007s sounding 'wooly', 'dull', etc.

The dust protector on the 007 isn't acoustically transparent enough.  A simple way to give the 007 a more lively FR without jeopardizing reliability is to replace the stock dust protector with something like pantyhose or even a thin sheet of Mylar.

Of course, if you love the way the 007 sounds stock, then there's no reason to do any of this.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back