Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
May 6, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #7,126 of 9,882

Still waiting, I am in the batch that is being built now. Not the one being shipped. So I have a wait ahead of me.

Me too. I happened to hit it just right, placed in order in Nov or December, and got email to pick a color in January. Probably will ship this year I expect. 

When I talked to him a two months or so ago he said the boards were going in to get populated and the amp would be done by summer time...
blink.gif

May 7, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #7,131 of 9,882
May 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #7,133 of 9,882
Because I'm so impressed with the original unused Mullard XF4's I got from WV, I decided to get another quad.
WV have sold out of all the XF4's they had, but Derek at WV put a quad to one side for me so I thought I might as well get them now.
I'm trying them with my BHSE as I write this post, I've biased them once so I'll just wait an hour and bias them again.

Another thing I'm impressed about is the packaging.

Photo's showing that packaging.

As can be seen the quad came double boxed, as did the first quad I got.

I've also ordered four Herbie HAL-O III 30 tube dampers which are now in the UK from the US.

May 12, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #7,136 of 9,882
I have not been following the CW for power for my high-end system including the BHSE: I do not have a dedicated circuit run from the fuse box and I have used a standard-grade power strip to run all the components incl. DVD player, DAC, pre-amp and turntable.  I was concerned that I might be missing some of the BHSE-system's capability, driven largely by the impression/realization that things did tend to sound better at night than during the day.  So I ordered PS Audio's PerfectWave Power Plant P3, http://www.psaudio.com/products/p3-power-plant/ I made sure that there was a cooling off period from my vendor, since this was rather a shot into the unknown for me.  However, the three benefits from the P3 listed below are substantial, and I will be keeping it.

The most obvious benefit is bass solidity, on everything from from double basses to (Pink Floyd's famous) heart beats.  I *think* it is actually an increase in bass level without any of the boominess that sometimes comes with increases in bass level.

The second benefit is what I will call "thereness": the illusion that the headphones bring you, the listener, into the room where the performers were present.  This is an area in which the BHSE and 009's already shine.  Without the P3, if I close my eyes I can mentally "place myself" in the performance venue of a good recording, with little suspension of disbelief.  However, with the P3, the experience is analogous to using a ViewMaster in that the 3D images just pop out at you, with no need for you to place yourself carefully into the proper state of mind.  I suspect that the vivid 3D illusion comes from being able to accurately unravel direct from reflected sound with the lower levels of noise afforded by the P3.  This is probably the root cause for the final benefit, as well.

The third benefit is "purity".  I have put a fair amount of effort into tuning my beloved Miyajima Madake phono cartridge in terms of VTA and load resistance, to get the frequency response as flat as possible.  One of the indicators I listened for was the tradeoff between "harshness" of overly emphsized upper harmonics with lack of immediacy from too much high-end roll off, especially on violins and unamplified vocalists.  With the P3, the system beats the tradeoff: I get wonderful purity (i.e., lack of harshness) *and* immediacy, together.

Additional disclosure: I am using the "Multiwave" mode.  See http://www.psaudio.com/perfectwave-p3-power-plant/, select "WANT MORE PRODUCT DETAILS?", select "How It Works".

May 13, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #7,137 of 9,882
Because of those review´s i had to buy a FURMAN Power conditioner to see if there will be any beneft.
I ordered the biggest one i could get, the Furman_ITReference16Ei---  a 45 kg monster.

Then i checked it for some time with the BHSE, KGSS on my 009 and 007 Stax. As a Dac i have a Esoteric D-02.
But really -- (maybe it´s our german power system) there is no, absolutely no different in sound.
Nice to know that there is something to protect the system from overvoltage and electricity noise if you have one

But there a cheaper power strip´s which will do the same.

The Furman ended at the martin logan system -- not to near to my ears as the Stax rig -- because it produces some hum-noise too!
On BHSE there is a oelbach-filter protection strip.

May 13, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #7,139 of 9,882
Out of curiosity Justin, do you currently have a unit for yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back