Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Apr 11, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #7,068 of 9,902
You just might want to use some caution if there really is no such thing as an "industrial" version that is of purportedly higher quality.

I said I've never heard of industrial Mullard's, but that doesn't mean there is no such thing, also the place I've seen them which is in the UK has been going for sometime and is supposed to be a reputable place, so I doubt what's described about them is untrue.

I also don't know if this industrial version is better built, but I do have an industrial vacuum which is extremely well built and is also very powerful.

I can quite easily name the place that's got those Mullard's, but that would be advertising which I thought wasn't allowed on head-fi.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #7,071 of 9,902
The picture is actually of an el34 that was a factory modified el60 - they are very rare. So technically that is not a picture of an el60.

And by characteristics, I would suspect this seller would suggest that all the earlier iterations are the same from a technical perspective other than the different base. Seen these eBay sellers doing this routinely.

I dunno, the plate structure looked rounded to me (EL34 is square) and the adapter looks like the typical ones I've seen on the internet for EL60 to EL34. You're probably right though, as I've never actually seen an EL60. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #7,073 of 9,902
I am sure you will enjoy these tubes when you get them.

I assume this post is aimed at me, if so thank you George.

These Mullard's weren't cheap, and what made it worse is there was VAT to pay on top, but from the description I didn't want to leave it, then find out they were all sold.

When I receive the matched quad which apparently are from the same year, I'm going to try them out with my BHSE, but I'm then putting the PH's back in.
I'm doing this because they probable won't last that long and when they pack up I'll throw them like I've just done the first quad.

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #7,074 of 9,902
All this tube talk has got me to update my last year's league table, with newcomers xf4 tubes and SR Red fuses.

To give people an idea of how I rate these tube differences, I've used a simple subjective scoring system:
1 point = the smallest discernible change that I consider reliable, repeatable and desirable. Don't take this too literally, I haven't exhaustively cross compared every combination in minute detail. It's just a bit of fun to indicate my perception of the relative merits of each change. The scoring is based purely on SQ, irrespective of costs. Results:

1. 0    Baseline for BHSE with stock JJ Mullard re-issue
  2. 2    Shuguang Treasure premium
  3. 6    Psvane EL34PH
  4. 7    Mesa Boogie STR-447, Blue grade (The rare White may be better if you can get them)
  5. 9    Vintage Mullard xf2 OO. Add or subtract 1 or 2 points depending on how you value the tonal sound signature
  6. 11  Vintage Holland xf4 DD (not the same as Mullard xf4 O)

Perspective time: Even the difference between 0  and 11 is probably objectively quite small - and unlikely to be noticed in meet conditions for example. It won't turn Diana Krall into Ella Fitzgerald, and it won't turn an SR-507 into an 009. OTOH, on a subjective music enjoyment level,  once I've latched on to a 1 point improvement in the secluded bubble of my home, I don't like even a single point taken away again. YMMV a lot from this.

To relate the above scores to my other BHSE tweaks:
  1. The AMR fuses on AC input will add 1 point to any of the above combinations.
  2. The AMR fuses on power supply output will add 0 to 2 points depending on fuse direction!?!  - see Note 1.
  3. The SR Red fuses will add 1-2 points on top of the AMR points, also affected by direction - see Note 1 and 2
  4. The Herbie Halo III dampers will add 1 to 2 points to any of the tubes, other than the Treasures, which were too big to try. Of all the above changes, I found the tube dampers the most difficult to quantify. Seem to sound best with a very loose fit - i.e. just enough to stop them from sliding down.

Note 1:
I know, I know, I KNOW! But I always tell it how I hear it. The Reds were also directional, even on AC input, which every Sound Scientist knows is impossible. But it costs nothing to try, and you can thank me later.

Note 2:
The advanced mathematicians would have worked out that the SR Red fuses can have a bigger impact than some tube differences. Yep, that's what I'm saying. Which is just as well, as I'm still smarting from just how much these little blighters cost compared to their apparent material content. About 4x the AMRs. Check the fuse thread for the safety warnings and different opinions.

In conclusion, my advice to the imminent new BHSE owners is still the same: Enjoy it as is. You may well find you need go no further. But if you do get that upgrade itch, then at least you'll know that it really can get better than this.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #7,075 of 9,902
Short out the fuses with a bit of copper wire and go for best sound.

If anything goes wrong later there will be no fuse for protection, but you will be happy in the knowledge that the sound was the best it could have been wjile it lasted.

It has also been stated that a $100 component will sacrifice itself to prevent a $0.50c fuse from blowing. There's electronic engineering at it's pinnacle of perfection.

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #7,076 of 9,902
I phoned the place I've ordered the Mullard XF4's and asked what the difference was with the industrial version, and was told industrial only have EL34 written on the tube.
I should be getting the matched quad in a day or two and when that happens I can compare them to the PH's.

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #7,077 of 9,902
I've received and have tried the Mullard XF4's with my BHSE, and WOW !
I thought the PH's made the 009 / BHSE sound amazing but these XF4's make that Earspeaker / amp combo sound even better, the detail and authority is more so.
I was going to use the PH's until they packed up, but these XF4's are staying in my BHSE, in fact if I had the spare money I'd get another quad now.

A thing I noticed when first turning on the BHSE while using the PH's, is a kind of slight hissing noise which lasted about 30 seconds or so, but with the Mullard's there's nothing, just dead silence.

These XF4's are single getters which some believe don't sound as good as the double getters, but I'm definitely very happy with these single getters I have.

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #7,078 of 9,902
I've received and have tried the Mullard XF4's with my BHSE, and WOW !
A thing I noticed when first turning on the BHSE while using the PH's, is a kind of slight hissing noise which lasted about 30 seconds or so, but with the Mullard's there's nothing, just dead silence.

These XF4's are single getters which some believe don't sound as good as the double getters, but I'm definitely very happy with these single getters I have.

Every single one of my tube sets, new or vintage, make that sound in the first few seconds of switch on.

Regarding SQ, my XF2 OO's sound slightly "soft" compared to the Mesa Boogies, the latter being more direct and punchy (which is why I added my comment in the league table). This could be due to the elderly condition of these particular XF2's, although I've read comments elsewhere that OO models are inherently "softer" than O models.

My XF4 DD's are the best of both worlds. Not clear if this is simply due to being in better second hand condition, or due to design.

Whatever, I'm glad the XF4 O's have worked out for you David. 

Edit: The comparison was against Mesa Boogies, not PHs as originally written.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #7,079 of 9,902
@ TheAttorney,

These XF4's I have make no sound at all, even when first turning on the BHSE, whereas I can hear a noise from the PH's, but like I mentioned it only lasts for around 30 seconds.
I find the PH's ( with the 009's ) do make those Earspeakers sound extremely good which I've posted comments about several times, but they don't last as long as they should, however I've decided to use that second quad then use the XF4's when I get this other piece of audio equipment at the back end of this year early next.
When that happens those PH's might've packed up, if not I'll probably still use the XF4's anyway.

Thanks for your last comment Richard.

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #7,080 of 9,902
I get that small hissing sound when starting a KGST, the "mini BHSE". Goes from one channel to another, takes a few minutes to settle out. Which is why I let it warm up before listening, not a major deal but does interfere with good listening. 

No big deal, just the circuit settling down. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back